Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Update Error on Brand New Flex 2

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello,

I purchased a Flex 2 earlier this afternoon. I charged the unit as advised until a green light was showing with the white lights. I tried to sync it to my iPhone 6, It synced perfectly the first time, everything seemed so easy. I then had a notification saying the device had an update. I've now been trying to update it for 5 hours! I'm currently running version 24.10.4 and a single blue light flashes every time I remove the device from the charging port.
Every time I try to update, the dashboard tells me about the things I should know before updating. I then click next and it starts 'loading', on occasion a blue bar starts to creep forward but most of the time there's nothing; Half of the time it says "Firmware Update Error.. There was a problem communicating with your tracker. Please try again" The times where it doesn't show me an error the updating page just throws me back to the dashboard where it says "Update Tracker" along the pink bar towards the top of the page. I also try to sync the device and it won't sync, it starts too but won't finish the sync. The last time it was synced was when I connected it to the laptop. "20:06" No matter how many times I hit sync, it won't change from that time. All day sync is turned on, my bluetooth is turned on and paired with the device.

I have looked at the forums for advise as mentioned by a few people who are having similar problems.
1) I have reset the device numerous times.
2) I have uninstalled/re-installed the app 100 times.
3) I have turned bluetooth on and off and removed all other devices.
4) I have turned my phone off for 30 mins and turned it back on.
5) I have gone onto the app, made the app forget the device and set up a new device.
6) I have paired the device to my laptop via bluetooth and tried to update it using the app on there and it just didn't seem to do anything. I left it sitting on the update page for 30 mins and nothing happened.

Nothing is working, if I sit on the dashboard I can see the device 'syncing' and then it stops and gives me the option to 'sync now'. If I don't touch it it will start to sync automatically again??

Any advice would be greatly received. 

I'm half tempted to return the device to the store tomorrow, I'm so disappointed. 😞

Thanks in advance 

Hannah

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Right guys... 

I have some good news and some bad news regarding this issue!

I spoke to a nice gentleman on the Fitbit live chat during my lunch break. He talked me through setting up the Flex 2 for the first time. I did everything he told me to do and when it came time to start the update, it didn't work so I told him exactly what it said "Firmware Update Error." He told me this, and I quote "Definitely seems to be an issue with the Flex 2 directly. There's 2 options here, exchange it from the store you bought it at or I can start a replacement that would take 5 days to process"

As I only bought it yesterday I returned it to the store after work, got a replacement, and IT WORKS! After leaving it to charge fully, deleting and re-installing the app and turning my phone on and off. I logged into the app like it was my first time and it synced to my phone right away and the updated started and was finished within a matter of minutes. No more blinking blue light and sadness.

My advice is this; If you're having syncing issues and the update won't work return the item and try again with a new one! If you can't return via a store, start a live chat with a Fitbit adviser and explain the situation and hopefully they'll send you out a new one asap!  🙂

Thanks everyone

Hannah 

LET'S GET FIT!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

Hi Hannah

i am having exactly the same problem, I bought my flex2 5 days ago and have been trying to update or sync it ever since. I have spent hours trying to reset it and tried on multiple devices and Mac computer with no joy. I have emailed fit bit and have had 2 replies suggesting what I have already tried, amazingly frustrating and annoying but reading your post made me feel that I am not the only one and it's not something I am doing. Sorry I can't sort it but if I do get any help from them I will let you know as soon as I do, but I am getting to the point that I think I need a replacement as can't think of much more we can do,

Nicky

Best Answer

Oh dear, I was hoping someone had an answer, as I have the same problem 😞 

Just got one today and it refuses to update

Best Answer

Hi Nicky,

Can't believe that this is happening to someone else! I thought maybe mine was faulty... 

I've spent my lunch break trying to fix it and it's still the same. I've also emailed customer service pointing out everything that I've done so far. Waiting for a reply now.

Will keep you posted if I get a solution! 🙂

Hannah

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh dear, not another one! 😞 Hopefully we'll get some form of answer soon! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Saaaaame. Mine won't even attempt the Update. It goes to the "things to know before you update" screen then right back to the pink "Update" button. Is it just a bad update? I am also using an iPhone 6.

It will attempt a Sync, but the progress bar stops 1/3 of the way through. It does seem to be counting steps and syncing with MyFitnessPal though. I've never owned a Fitbit before, so I guess it's working for the most part? Kind of hard to tell.

My hope is that if people keep adding to this thread, it might be noticed by the mods. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Right guys... 

I have some good news and some bad news regarding this issue!

I spoke to a nice gentleman on the Fitbit live chat during my lunch break. He talked me through setting up the Flex 2 for the first time. I did everything he told me to do and when it came time to start the update, it didn't work so I told him exactly what it said "Firmware Update Error." He told me this, and I quote "Definitely seems to be an issue with the Flex 2 directly. There's 2 options here, exchange it from the store you bought it at or I can start a replacement that would take 5 days to process"

As I only bought it yesterday I returned it to the store after work, got a replacement, and IT WORKS! After leaving it to charge fully, deleting and re-installing the app and turning my phone on and off. I logged into the app like it was my first time and it synced to my phone right away and the updated started and was finished within a matter of minutes. No more blinking blue light and sadness.

My advice is this; If you're having syncing issues and the update won't work return the item and try again with a new one! If you can't return via a store, start a live chat with a Fitbit adviser and explain the situation and hopefully they'll send you out a new one asap!  🙂

Thanks everyone

Hannah 

LET'S GET FIT!

Best Answer

Thank you! I already left for work and I'm talking to support via twitter inbox, so guess I'll exchange it store tomorrow! 

It' a shame though, such a waste of time trying to get it to work 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have already replaced Flex 2 once at the store. Second one still won't get full charge (4 whites + 1 green). Doesn't go past 4 whites after being on charge all night long. Won't update firmware. Keeps trying to sync.

Since I've already tried one replacement, I'll need to call fitbit and get one coming. Sigh. There must have been a bad batch at the factory that did get caught by quality assurance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh my word, what an absolute nightmare.  I upgraded to a Flex 2 as wanted the waterproof capabilities. I've also spent 2 days trying to get the wretched thing to sync on several devices so kind of pleased I'm not the only one with problems.  Purchased my from Amazon so going to have to send it back and try a new one.  Fingers crossed this will work.  Thanks for the update everyone, it's nice to know we're not alone.  Please sort this out FitBit!!!!

Best Answer

Greetings everyone!

@Hanzzellhoff @Nickycharlie29 @diz1 @CaitV @pdxeb @geezerbird

Thanks for joining us and for reporting this issue. I have found a couple of threads I believe you might find helpful. Check them out:

Hope this helps. Feel free to post back! Smiley Happy

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

I have had my flex 2 for nearly a year and it has stopped syncing.  I too have tried everything suggested. Nothing working. 😰 I though I was missing something. It must have been the update. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Beedy it's nice to see new faces around. I wanted to step in and verify if the syncing issue your Flex 2 has been resolved? Do let me know!

I'll be looking forward to your new comments! Smiley Wink

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

Hi. My Flex2 isn't all that new and was a gift so I can't exchange it. I have tried the firmware update numerous times since it flagged up on my app and each time it has failed. Tried all the suggested solutions except trying to do it from my desktop which I'll try later. But it seems this is a very, very common issue with the flex2 so there has to either be a serious flaw in very many of our devices i.e. a manufacturing fail or it is a glitcy update. I think that an awful lot of us are having to waste an awful lot of very precious time on this. Will my flex2 continue to work without this update because, quite frankly, I have better things to do until you devise an update that works properly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Eliens Hope you're doing well, and enjoying some healthy activities! Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot this with me. Yes, your Flex 2 will work without the update, but the update improve the functioning overall so, the firmware must be updated for a seamless performance. Smiley Happy

Yes, please try from your desktop computer and post back with the outcome. I'll be looking forward to your new comments! 

Best Answer

Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. I can't get my desktop to sync with my flex2 at all. So that option seems to be out. Seems I'll have to make do without the update until it's improved upon. Sorry but I really do have very limited time to mess around with this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My flex 2 had been working great sense 2016. All of a sudden my steps won't sync. I have to reset it every time I want to see my progress. I've done this for 3 days. What can I do? I've done all the steps several times. I'm frustrated

Best Answer
0 Votes

In answer to anyone posting issues with Flex 2 I would say I am on my third tracker since they bought Flex 2 to the market place. Things work for a while and for no reason suddenly don't. I have spent hours keeping logs communicating with Fitbit in one way or another and they look into the matter then it might work for a while followed by failure again. The two main problems I have are with syncing, blue tooth which is always on and only occasionally recording swims which is the reason I purchased it in the first place. I occasionally use the forum and only then see there are many other unhappy customers out there.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update 12/31/20: New ones also didn't work. I gave up on Fitbit and won't be using them at all. Definitely not worth the time or aggravation. Eat right. Stay active. You don't need tech.

The exact same thing happened to me.  I ordered my Fitbit Flex 2 through the website.  When it didn't update, I talked to a lovely person in customer service and did everything she told me to do (which I had already done, but I did it again with her on the phone).  She determined that it must be a bad unit and they sent me a new one.  I am having the exact same problem with the new one.  

a) Why couldn't they do the update before they sent the new one out to me?  Why would the unit not have the latest update installed when they ship it out?

b) Is there a place I can take it and have them update it for me?  

I wanted the Flex2 because of the waterproof capabilities and the features.  At this point, I think I'm going to give up on Fitbit and return it. Given the problems I've had, no Fitbit is better than any Fitbit.  Ideally, though, I would just get it to work. What are my next steps? 

Best Answer
0 Votes