Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate calories when swimming

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Have just added the Flex2 to my collection of Fitbits. Was so excited finally to have a tracker for my swim workouts. I find the time and distance swum to be 99.9% accurate. But calories burned is a farce. It estimates 1 cal per minute. I.e. 40 calories for a 40 minute swim. I'm 67, 140 lbs, 5'6" and very active. So what's going on? (I also own an Alta, charge HR and Charge 2). 

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
72 REPLIES 72

Thank you for your feedback everyone. If you have concrete ideas to improve this please do share them on the Feature suggestions board. Search for the idea first to see if one already exist so you can add your vote. The more votes an idea gets the more likely the developers will try to implement it. Not sure how simply this may be but I do know the team is constantly working on improving the feature as newer trackers do have this too so it will benefit existing and new Fitbit users.

I'll be around!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why is this down to Fitbit customers to come up with a solution to incorrect calories burnt/inaccurate swim data plus the many ither problems Fitbit seem unable to resolve? Isn't it about time Fitbit took responsibility for their failings and come up with some answers themselves??

Best Answer
My suggestion is to get your software engineers to fix it. As is, I don't
plan on buying another one, and definitely would NOT recommend it to anyone
hoping to have a swim calorie calculator.
Best Answer

Hey guys, @JustinSG and @Everuby. I hope you are doin' fine! 

Thanks for your feedback in regards of this inconvenience that you are experiencing with the calories burned after you complete you swim session. Please note that our team always keeps an eye on the forums and pay too much attention on those areas that need special attention so they can improve our products and services. 

I will appreciate your patience and understanding! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

HI moderator

I have my fitbit ionic set to autorecognize - it then asks you to choose laps - laps mess it up as I swim alternate strokes each length not 2 at a time and fitbit doesn't recognise it - I then have the correct length of pool set and to record lengths - start it in swim mode when I begin swimming - I swim 40 - 45 lengths at 1 min average per length medium fast  - fitbit states I have only burnt 230 ish calories - thats half of what it should say - read the following -

The average person burns 430-575 calories per hour swimming leisurely.

The number of calories you burn swimming will depend on your weight and the distance and speed you swim. A 150-pound (68kg) person swimming recreational backstroke will burn 344 calories per hour. A 200-pound (90.8kg) person swimming freestyle laps with vigorous effort will burn 935 calories per hour.

I should burn about 500 calories per swim 

Calories burned per minute = (MET x body weight in Kg x 3.5) ÷ 200 there is a list of MET scores online

What calculator is fitbit using ?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Dear Arryasbo Jogger:

I dumped the FitBit over a year ago because of this issue. The company is
not interested in correcting the problem with the swim mode. It also was
continuously incorrect with the calorie burn and time measurements for
active exercise. As much as I liked the idea of the product, it became a
point of frustration. I simply calculate my lap swimming and check with
the calorie burn charts online to get the real results. I feel free to
exercise and use my own goals to attain results. No more FitBit products
for me!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I used to be able to switch the pool length between 50 and 100. Now there
is no option. For whatever reason , it calculated calories correctly at the
100 setting.
Best Answer
0 Votes

HI thanks I will try that but seems weird

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I have the new Luxe - similar issue. Distance is measuring ok but calories are sooo far it’s ridiculous! I’ll be contacting them to get this addressed hopefully

Best Answer

I have a similar issue. I swim regularly and have my set my Fitbit correctly and it still gives me 3 calories per minute. I’m no Michael Phelps but I know I’m burning more than 141 calories for 1200 yards. Irritating. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wrote and called fit bit several times and got no where they don't seem to care so switched to a garmin then an  iwatch - both good but iwatch easier for me to see

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. I was looking at Garmins yesterday. I may go ahead and get the one most highly rated for swimming.

Leslie
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue with charge 5, I'm just using it as a timer at this point. 

Best Answer