Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit having issues after One Year

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have no idea who reads this and can only hope that the Fitbit people do.

I received my Fitbit as a gift one year ago in March. I never got it wet and used it every day for working out. Honestly, I got it as part of my continued need to monitor my food and workout, due to a recovery from depression.

The Fitbit for me was like a coach, a trainer, a therapist, and a support service for me all in one. I had many competitions weekly with friends on it and it encouraged me to live healthier, which, in turn, brought me out of my depression as part of my support. Even my therapist agreed that it was a great device.

But...it was not cheap and I am loathe to buy another if they only last about a year for the price. I know you offer a one year warrenty, but I think that is too short for the failure that the device gave me after only one year of use.

I am saddened by this issue and need to consider getting a device. I loved my Fitbit and it really did help me. But now I may look at all the other devices and see if they have a better lifespan. I hope you will consider looking into what goes wrong with them after such a short amount of time. I can tell you that I took very good care of mine (no water use, no overcharging, no smashing into something.

V/r,

Alan E.

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
77 REPLIES 77
Thru told me they would be HAPPY to SELL me a new one for 25% off. ..REALLY? ?? How about make one that Works
Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer

I had my fit bit for less than a year but it wasn't holding a charge, I got frustrated and started using my Iphones health app to count steps but I don't always have my phone on me so it got frustrating.  I had put my flex in a drawer and forgot to call customer service.  I pulled it out, cleaned it, charged it and when I disconnected it from the charging dongle it would just die.

An hour on the phone with someone I could barely understand, who wasn't helpful, collected more information than he gave and kept repeating my problem without a solution.  

In the end he let me know my flex had died "you seem to be having a display problem, it is most likely your display is not working I can give you 25% off your next Fitbit purchase but you have to purchase it from our site sorry but you have no warranty left"

I went to the website and they want 40 bucks to extend the warranty to two years (there goes your discount plus some).

I feel like they should let you know that this 112 purchase will last you one year, 152 will get you two years.  Its more a membership than a product.  Companies should be more honest.  

My doctor wants me to have it so I bought it but I am not happy.  If your product has a problem fix it.   It is an obvious problem, so many people have had these die before the year is up.  I just wasnt smart enough to get it replaced in time.

Best Answer

I had one replaced after  4 months as i could no longer see what was on screen now the 2nd one won't charge .i really think they are very poor value for money.

Best Answer

Hi, @lifesabeach11, many people think their Fitbit won't charge, when instead it has become unresponsive.  This can happen if you allow the battery to die completely (whch is not a good idea for any device with a modern lithium ion type battery).  I would suggest making sure the battery contacts are clean (if necessary clean with cotton and a little alcohol) and then plug it into charge using a source you know to be working.  When it has had two hours plugged in (even if it doesn't seem to be charging) try the restart procedure.  You may need to repeat the restart several times.

Also note that with the Flex the device must sit well into the charging cradle.  If it is loose it won't charge.  Some people have found a little bit of cardboard or a match stick can help hold it in place.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried all the cleaning tip and hints and still nothing. It had been getting very unresponsive in the last few weeks having to tap it harder and harder to get anything on the screen .i have left it on charge overnight last night but nothing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have tried the restart at least three times with no success (make sure you hold the button long enough!) then the next step is to get in touch with Customer Support

contact.fitbit.com

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same issue with my fitbit alta. It just shuts off after a day or two with a full battery. I tried all the troubleshooting steps to restart my alta and still continue to have the same problem. When I reached out to fitbit all they offered me was a 25% off coupon on a new fitbit and did nothing else to solve my problem. I wouldn't recommend fitbit to anyone I know. I loved my fitbit but at this rate it isn't even worth spending the money on a new one. A one year warranty does nothing for me and it seems like more than one person has the same issue. They need to figure out what causes their devices to fail after a year. 

Best Answer

Horse manure. The HELP they give of 25% off to BUY A NEW ONE.  Planned profit. Buy another brand. 

Sandi

Best Answer

I had the exact same issue.  Died this week after 6 months.  Wondering if Costco will take it back

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @wendybeth, if your Fitbit died after only 6 months you should definitely return it to Costco, or, alternatively, you can get in touch with Fitbit Customer Support on contact.fitbit.com

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have been in dispute with fitbit for about 9 months. After having
replacement after replacement in the end I wanted a refund which they were
not happy about but after a said I was going to ombudsmen they gave in.That
was 3 months ago and I'm still trying to get refund.It has to be one of the
worse products and customer service I have every experienced.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Agreed

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am so unhappy. My fitbit - bought a year ago on amazon, can’t sync with mac when it is not more than 70% charged. This is insane. It is my third device. Not nice.

I feel for you. This is my third device and it died.... so unhappy.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Hi I had 3 exchanges and in the end demanded a refund it took hundreds of emails and about 9 months but I got it in the end. Mine came to stalemate talks as i wasn't giving in and nore were they. So i said i was getting the ombudsman involved as the goods they were selling were not fit for purpose. But i didn't have to in the end.  Hope you all can get refunds as it's just not right to sell an item that does not work for so many.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I know that feeling. My first fitbit died, my second one stop displaying after 14 months. I bought a new one a year ago from Amazon and now it could not display any more if it under 70% charged. How unfair and redicilous!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I"ve had 1xZip + 3xCharge-HR's and 1xAria die or start draining batteries in 1-2 days. This happens after the devices hit the 1 year mark, so there's no scope of getting them replaced.

I've been with FitBit for a large part of the last 5 years, but it's time to let go now. Really disappointed with the build quality and the stance and the company policy of 'limited warranty of 1 year'.

I would rather spend a little more on a more reliable device.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I bought another make and cheaper one and have had it 5 months without a
problem. They are very poor quality for the money.

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Best Answer
0 Votes

Are any of these defective devices still under warranty?

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@DramaQueenDiva, as I exoect you are aware, in most parts of the world the Fitbit limited warranty is for one year.  In the European Economic Area the warranty is two years.

All rechargeable batteries have a limited life span -- in particular they have a limited number of discharge / recharge cycles.  How a user interacts with his or her battery can have a significant effect on how long it lasts.  This does not mean the device was initially defective. 

The best way of treating modern, lithium ion type batteries (such as those supplied with Fitbits) is to avoid deep discharges wherever possilble.  If you always wait until your Fitbit battery is dead, or even nearly dead, before recharging, you will significantly decrease its lifespan.

The best advice for charging is little and often, for example when you take it off to shower or when you are sitting reading in the evening or watching TV.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had mine replaced about 3 times and the charger once when still in warranty but i felt they are not fit for purpose and wanted a refund in the end.It took 1000's of emails and about 6 months before i got it and i had to send a letter from an ombudsman as we had stalemate i wasn't giving in nore where they. They agreed i sent all my bank details 3 times for them to say the money was sent to the wrong bank account.When i returned it they said it wasn't in the box when it arrived at the warehouse.The whole thing was a shambles.Would never use this company again.

Best Answer
0 Votes