Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

48 State Virtual Hike

Congratulations! You are starting on a virtual hike of the lower 48 states. This is a difficult challenge, and with any difficult challenge, it helps to break it into small pieces. The hike is divided into 14 parts. Each part has 10 segments except for the last one which has 8 segments. Each segment has 8 legs. With few exceptions, the legs are 10 miles or less.

Thaller, Gary. 48 State Virtual Hike: The Ultimate 10,000 Step Challenge (Kindle Locations 115-117). Shanti Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Here an overview of the route.

route overview.JPG

It starts in Pueblo, Colorado and goes clockwise. Part one highlighted in yellow goes to southeastern Utah and is 478.4 miles. Each circle is one of the eight legs.

Click on the link for the legs to get an animated street view.

Segment 1:  0 to 63.2 miles   
Length of Segment:  63.2 miles   
Total miles:  63.2   
Segment Map   
Click leg for street view  Completed
leg 1:  0 to 9.3 milesRADFCST10/25/2016
leg 2:  9.3 to 17.8 milesRADFCST 10/26/16
leg 3:  17.8 to 24.1 milesRADFCST 10/26/16
leg 4:  24.1 to 34 milesRADFCST

10/27/16 

leg 5: 34 to 35.8 milesRADFCST 10/27/16
leg 6: 35.8 to 45.8 milesRADFCST 
leg 7: 45.8 to 54.8 milesRADFCST 
leg 8: 54.8 to 63.2 milesRADFCST 

Best Answer
160 REPLIES 160

Day 46: Friday, 12/9/16

Walking/Running

Constraint

Daily Goal: 12.13

None

Miles today: 13.04

Total Miles Goal: 536.23

Total Miles: 540.91

Average Daily Miles: 11.76

Animated street views for legs completed today

leg 5: 518.4 to 528.4 miles FCST
leg 6: 528.4 to 538.4 miles FCST

Weather on virtual hike route

weather 12 9 16.JPG

The weather has been great the whole hike so far. I beat the storms in Colorado by a couple days. Once I get to Nevada, I’ll be home free until western Nevada. According to historical records there is seldom more than trace amounts of snow. Having said that, watch there be a 100-year blizzard this year.

Comments

It was nine degrees when I started this morning and dropped a couple more degrees. I almost talked myself out of going, but then decided to leave early instead. I went 10.6 miles. After a few miles, I didn’t want to stop. I must be acclimating to the cold because I felt warm the whole time.

fig 5.1.JPGfig 5.2.JPG

I saw these two guys on Google Street View riding bicycles.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 47: Saturday, 12/10/16

Walking/Running

Constraint

Daily Goal: 12.00

None

Miles today: 12.27

callouses

Total Miles Goal: 564

Total Miles: 550.31

Average Daily Miles: 11.71

Another Goal Change

I reset my daily goal to 12 miles a day. I won’t go back and fix the past few days. I reset the Total Miles Goal as if it had been 12 miles a day right along. The problem is the rainy season in Oregon. Meanwhile, in the background, I’ll try to increase my daily mileage a little each day, but that won’t show up in the Daily Goal. If I get to Oregon early, I may beat the rainy season. If not, I’ll have to do a segment or two elsewhere.

I imported the Fitbit Data Spreadsheet to my new tracking spreadsheet. This changed the total mileage about a mile – most likely because of rounding errors.

leg 7: 538.4 to 548.4 miles

FCST

weather 12 10 16.JPG

Comments

I slowly jogged most of the route today. My heel callouses were a bit tender and jogging puts less stress on them.

There was a massage therapist at the Natural Foods store giving chair massages. I got a short massage. She didn’t find any knotty muscles in my back, shoulders and neck. I may go to her office for a longer massage sometime.

She and her husband had hiked about 300 miles of the Appalachian Trail together. Next summer, they may hike the Colorado Trail.

fig 5.3.JPG

I modified my tracking sheet to put the emphasis on the targeted date for each leg and the date completed. The daily miles covered and goals are on another spreadsheet. This method is more useful for projecting arrival times at distant locations.

Special thanks to @FujiNguyen for giving the idea. After I make some improvements, I'll put the spreadsheet on Google Documents

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 48: Sunday, 12/11/16 - Completed Segment 11

Walking/Running

Constraint

callouses

Miles today: 12.26

fatigue

Total Miles Goal: 576

Total Miles: 562.56

Average Daily Miles: 11.72

leg 8: 548.4 to 558.4 miles

FCST

weather 12 11 16.JPG

Comments

I couldn’t believe it was 57 degrees when I started walking today. The winds were about 20 mph, but at that temperature, it didn’t matter. I slowly jogged the whole distance this morning for 9.86 miles.

fig 5.5.jpg

There were four deer seemingly waiting for me by the library at the University. They let me approach quite close, and then they formed a line and walked off. I joined them in single file, and they walked about 200 yards and stopped under a street light. Unfortunately, I put my finger over the lens. L  I did manage to get a picture of one of them later as we played tag for about 15 minutes. I’ll start bringing a better camera.

My heel callouses were a little tender, but weren’t bad so long as I kept jogging and didn’t walk. By the end of the jog my legs were a little fatigued.

Segment 11 Summary

summary segment 11.JPG

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 49: Monday, 12/12/16

Walking/Running

Constraint

None

Miles today: 12.70

Total Miles Goal: 588

Total Miles:575.26

Average Daily Miles: 11.74

Segment 12 Map

leg 1:  558.4 to 568.4 miles

FCST

weather 12 12 16.JPG

Comments

fig 5.6.JPG

It was close to the full moon today. It’s nice to have it above the horizon to light my way. Since, I walk/jog at about 3:30 am each morning, the moon is only visible about two weeks out of each four. Each day, it moves a little higher above the horizon in a monthly journey from west to east. This isn’t an error. During each day, the moon travels from east to west. However, a time lapse series of pictures taken at the same time each day would show the moon moving from west to east.

The coyotes were yelping loudly today. One went “Whoop, whoop, whoop, whoop!” and sounded like a police car siren.

This was my tenth day in a row of walking/jogging. I’m about 12 miles behind the original plan. I’d like to catch up if I can. I can’t afford to take any breaks because of a lack of motivation.

fig 5.7.jpg

While I was walking around 5 am this morning, I saw a mailbox that had been flattened. There were pieces of the vehicle strewn across the lawn. Later, I took another walk and found the Toyota 4 Runner that did it. The last bit of oil was leaking on the ground.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 50: Tuesday, 12/13/16

Walking/Running

Constraint

None

Miles today: 14.60

Total Miles Goal: 600

Total Miles: 589.86

Average Daily Miles: 11.80

Segment 12 Map

leg 2: 568.4 to 578.3 miles

FCST

leg 3: 578.3 to 588.3 miles

FCST

HanksvilleHanksville

It has been 130 miles since the last services in Mexican Hat, NM. There were a couple river crossings to get water. A real hiker with a cart would need to average about 25 miles a day to make it through. It would be difficult to make it with only a pack.

This is an important destination as the possibility of getting stranded by bad weather declines immensely because motels come relatively frequently from here almost to Nevada.

weather 12 13 16.JPG

Comments

fif 5.9.jpg

Beautiful day for an extra two-mile jog.

I’m settling into a daily routine. I start with a 2 hour and 20 minute walk/jog. Each day, I’m going a little faster and a little farther. Today, I did 9.96 miles. It gets easier every day. I am now being disciplined about starting at 3:20 am.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 51: Wednesday, 12/14/16

Walking/Running

Constraint

None

Miles today: 12.55

Total Miles Goal: 612

Total Miles: 602.41

Average Daily Miles: 11.81

Segment 12 Map

leg 4: 588.3 to 598.4 miles

FCST

weather 12 14 16.JPG

Comments

I started listening to a series of 44 videos by Dr. McDougall since I wanted a change to audio books.

Another series I want to listen to was created by Lion King. It’s about his hike across the United States on the American Discovery Trail.

Walking/jogging in the morning has become a habit I look forward to. For now, I’m gradually increasing the speed while keeping the time constant. When I find the top speed I can maintain without injury, I’ll start increasing the time. I see no reason I can’t get to about 18 miles a day by March. Maybe it will take a few months longer. We’ll see.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 52: Thursday, 12/15/16

Walking/Running

Constraint

None

Miles today: 12.45

Total Miles Goal: 624

Total Miles: 614.86

Average Daily Miles: 11.82

Segment 12 Map

leg 5: 598.4 to 608.4 miles

FCST

weather 12 15 16.JPG

There was a 50% chance of rain according to www.wunderground.com. The forecast didn’t predict rain until the afternoon. There is another storm forming in southern California. It would be a good day for a real hiker to consider staying in a motel.

I’ll need to start pricing good rain suits – most likely something made by Carhart. For road walking, I like sturdier clothes than I use for backpacking. They are less expensive and work better. The tradeoff is they are heavier and bulkier.

Comments

fig 52.1.JPG

There were a couple bicycle riders today. Since they don’t have paniers, they are probably local. However, there was an RV ahead that looked like it could be a support vehicle for a long ride.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 53: Friday, 12/16/16

Walking/Running

Constraint

None

Miles today: 16.73

Total Miles Goal: 636

Total Miles: 631.59

Average Daily Miles: 11.92

Segment 12 Map

leg 6: 608.4 to 618.3 miles

FCST

leg 7: 618.3 to 628.3 miles

FCST

There may have been some rain along the route, but nothing serious. About 40 miles ahead, there was some snow early in the day, but by afternoon, it had melted on the roads. Historical data for yesterday wasn’t available.

Comments 

fig 53.3.jpg

Each time I see them, the deer let me get a little closer.

It was about 54 degrees this morning. Nice change from the cold temperatures.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 54: Saturday, 12/17/16

Walking/Running

Constraint

None

Miles today: 4.18

Total Miles Goal: 648

Total Miles: 635.77

Average Daily Miles: 11.77

None completed.

The site for historical weather wasn’t working. The high was about 33 and the low about 22. The weather was clear or cloudy.

Comments

It was 6 degrees, windy and snowing today, so I didn’t get a long walk/jog.

fig 54.1.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 55: Sunday, 12/18/16

Walking/Running

Constraint

None

Miles today: 3.01

Total Miles Goal: 660

Total Miles: 638.78

Average Daily Miles: 11.77

Segment 12 Map

leg 8: 628.3 to 638.3 miles

FCST

Note: This link didn’t work for me. Maybe it will later.

weather 12 18 16.JPG

Comments

It was minus 17 degrees when I woke up this morning, so I didn’t go out. My son and I did take about a mile walk when it went up to minus 13 degrees.

I’m a little disappointed that the weather caused me to drop almost 22 miles behind the goal. Although I could have done the distance on my treadmill, I prefer not to.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I skipped three days because I noticed there weren't many views. I'm not sure anyone is paying attention. I decided to start again in case some are watching. Comments are welcome.

I added a new section called "Conversations with my Coach." These are internal conversations I have with my subconscious. I find this format stimuates more thought. It also stimulates some strange ideas. Sometimes they are hard to follow.

Day 59: Thursday, 12/22/16

Walking/Running

Constraint

None

Miles today: 13.77

BPM: 122 - 134

Total Miles Goal: 708

Total Miles: 669.36

Average Daily Miles: 11.35

leg 2: 648.4 to 658.4 miles

FCST

leg 3: 658.4 to 668.4 miles

FCST

Weather on virtual hiking route

weather 12 22 16.JPG

There was probably some snow along the route sufficient to take a couple days off.

Conversations with my coach

“How did you feel today, Gary?”

“Coach, mentally, I didn’t want to start jogging after 20 minutes, but I forced myself to. I didn’t get in the groove until after almost two hours of jogging. It was all mental, and not physical. At the end, I wanted to keep going.”

“Gary, did you depend on my advice along the way.”

“Yes, Coach, I did. Several times I said to myself that you knew what you were doing, and the jog would go well. That’s exactly what happened. I looked at my watch too often along the way. I should have zoned out and listened to the mp3’s more.”

“What did Dr. McDougall have to say today?”

“Truthfully, it was scientific explanations I don’t need, but they motivate my nutritionist.”

“You have a nutritionist?”

“Sure do. I feed him all this information, and then listen to his advice. It’s the same thing I’ve done with you.”

“Gary, let’s do the same thing tomorrow, but increase the BPM to 135.”

“Sounds good to me. The cadence doesn’t seem to make much difference until we get over about 142.”

“Right, Gary. We just want to rebuild your confidence by increasing the cadence slowly.”

“Thanks, I could use that.”

Best Answer
0 Votes

Friday, December 23, 2016 

Walking/Running

Constraint

None

Miles today: 14.76

BPM: 122 - 135

Total Miles Goal: 720

Total Miles: 684.12

Average Daily Miles: 11.40

leg 4: 668.4 to 678.3 miles

FCST

Weather on virtual hiking route

weather 12 23 16.JPG

Conversations with my coach

Top of the hill at the University where I stop walking and start jogging. I love foggy days.Top of the hill at the University where I stop walking and start jogging. I love foggy days.

“Coach, this morning, I was listening to a Nathan Pritikin tape. In it, he said he increased the number of capillaries in his legs by running.”

“Why is that important Gary?”

“I can’t prove it’s important for health. But I got to thinking. Our blood stream is like an oxygenated fuel system as well as a carbonated exhaust system. The red blood cells release oxygen. The carbon dioxide and other junk goes into the blood stream to be carried out somehow.”

“Gary, I think the solid waste products go into the lymphatic system.”

“I think you are right, Coach. The non-scientific point I’m making is we improve delivery of the good stuff and taking out the bad stuff.”

“Sounds good to me on a non-scientific basis. What do you want me to do?”

“Well, if it’s the right thing to do, I’d like you to stimulate capillary growth and anything else that needs to change.”

“This is new. Are you suggesting I make physiological changes to your body?”

“Sure am, Coach. Or at least contact whatever part of my brain or body that oversees that stuff.”

“Gary, I’ll need for you to give me good raw materials, OK?”

“I’ll do my best Coach.”

Best Answer

I just joined the group and I am SUPER excited to see how far I can go with you!!  This will get me motivated to get out and start racking up the steps and "visit" the 48 states with you!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Anntempleman,

Welcome to the hike. Hope it helps motivate you.

I'm taking a break for a couple weeks due to a back problem, so there won't be any posts until I get my daily mileage back up.

If you'd like the entire route at once. you can get the book on Amazon. It will be free on 12/29/16. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yesterday, I decided to restart the 48-state virtual hike. This time will be different. I don't walk much anymore. Instead, I get my miles while doing chores around the house. The miles are incidental. My focus now is burning calories. This time, I'm maintaining weight instead of losing.

Segment Map
DateClick leg for street view
 leg 1:  0 to 9.3 miles

From now on, I'll only include a leg when it's complete.

DayDateMilesTotal MilesCaloriesTotal Calories
16/1/20186.916.9132643264

I won't show the activity list every day. Or maybe I will. Haven't decided yet. 

18 06 02 0108.JPG

I really didn't want to shovel rocks last evening, but I wanted to get my 3,000 calories for the day. Glad I did. I started walking for only twenty minutes a day. 

I'll be using several tracking tools in the background to keep from getting overtrained and losing too many days as a result. One is a point and figure chart to monitor my resting heart rate. I'm using Fitbit's number because it's easy. It is a few beats higher than my actual resting heart rate right after I wake up.

Heart Rate

70x   x        
69xo  xo       
68xo  xo    x  
67xo  xo  x xo 
66xox x5x xoxo 
65xoxoxoxoxox6 
6434xoxoxoxo o 
63 o o o o   o 

Best Answer
0 Votes
26/2/20186.6813.5932129626

Segment Map
CompletedClick leg for street view
6/2/2018leg 1:  0 to 9.3 miles

18 06 03 0155.JPG

The point and figure chart below shows that I may have been overextending myself a bit. I'll try to work slowly today to give my resting heart rate a chance to decrease again. If it doesn't, I may drop back to 2600 calories tomorrow.

3200       6
3100       x
3000     x x
2900 x   xox
28005xox xox
2700oxoxoxox
2600oxoxoxox
2500o oxoxox
2400  o oxo 
2300    ox  
2200    o   

Thaller, Gary. Sales Team One: How to Achieve Infinite Wealth and Take the Crap Out of your Life (Kindle Location 1786). Unknown. Kindle Edition.

Best Answer
0 Votes
36/3/20187.3220.91374110217

Segment Map
6/3/2018leg 2:  9.3 to 17.8 miles

18 06 04 0146.JPG

My resting heart rate went down yesterday, so I increased the amount of work. Today's focus is eating enough food to maintain my weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes
46/4/20187.8528.76317713394

Segment Map
6/4/2018leg 3:  17.8 to 24.1 miles

18 06 05 0341.JPG

Best Answer