Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever Gonna Get A Waterproof Fitbit?

Anyone else here enjoy working out and sweating, but also swimming or going to the beach and not losing your steps because you've got to protect your Fitbit from getting wet?

I do and I've been waiting for years since getting my first Fitbit to see if they would ever roll one out that was waterproof, or even just durable enough for swimming. Because we all know that work outs in the gym, or outside in nice weather aren't the only kinds, people run in the rain, swim, and sometimes get extra sweaty. I've seen two Fitbits ruined by someone just sweating on them too much even.

Anyone else out there wishing they would release a truly waterproof one?

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

I personally don't need/want a waterproof FitBit, but it would be nice if they offered them as an option. If, for example, they offered a Charge HR and a Waterproof Charge HR, they could price them accordingly so that people that want/need a waterproof one could buy one buy just paying a little more. And, those of us that don't need the waterproof version could buy the less expensive one that is not waterproof.

Best Answer

I agree I really wamt a waterproof one becaise I'm a nurse and wash my hands a ton and give showers and baths as well and lose tons of steps walking around with the patients or during that taking it off and on.

Best Answer

Most (if not all) Fitbit trackers worn on your wrist are splash-proof AFAIK, so you shouldn’t have to take yours off when washing your hands. I certainly do not take mine (actually mines, since I’m currently wearing a Surge on one hand and a Blaze on the other one) when washing my hands. OK, I’m not a nurse, so I may not wash my hands as meticulously as you.

As to your concern of "losing tons of steps": isn’t giving showers and baths mostly stationary? If you keep your Fitbit in your pocket during that time, you should still be credited for steps as you move around.

One possibility for you would be to wear a Fitbit One while on duty, and your current (wrist-mounted) Fitbit during your free time. Nowadays, it’s possible for us to configure our account for use with multiple Fitbit trackers (you just have to wear only one at any given time).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I was recently in the hospital for spine surgery, 2 nurses were wearing the FitBit, and I was joking with them about being jealous that I couldn't wear mine - one of the nurses said I wouldn't get many steps laying flat in bed anyway. Ha! There was also one aide that was wearing a FitBit, and I noticed they never took them off even when they were cleaning the room, emptying the collections, or cleaning the bathroom. So, they must have been pretty confident that they wouldn't get more than a spash or 2 on them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nurses who rotate to places like med-surge and additional floors are at more risk than someone onna regular floor. 

And even for work isn't the main thing I'd like one for swimming, and going to the beach with, or being able to wear around the pool witjout worrying if it gets soaked it'll ruin it. When we go to water parks during the Summer we walk thousands of steps and go up tons of stairs and such and none of it gets tracked because it's too risky to wear your Fitbit there.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I need to research the brand again, but last summer I did see a lapcounter for swimming that really interested me.  It was not a fibit product, but I think it was around $100 and it would be so nice to have the laps counted for me.  I love swimming!

Best Answer

I spend a lot of time at the pool evey summer.  I'm not a serious swimmer, I don't need to have a device that counts laps, etc.  But a device I can wear while doing water aerobics, recreational swimming or just soaking in the hot tub would be marvelous.

Best Answer

I was backpacking this weekend.  It started raining fairly hard on the second day.  I didn't want my steps not be counted, so I found myself holding a ziplock bag and my hand over my wrist to keep the Fitbit dry.  Seems if waterproof watches can be made that it shouldn't be that difficult to waterproof Fitbit.  I wear the HR Charge.  Perhaps it's the heart monitor that makes it difficult?

Best Answer

@TrailTrekker wrote:

I was backpacking this weekend.  It started raining fairly hard on the second day.  I didn't want my steps not be counted, so I found myself holding a ziplock bag and my hand over my wrist to keep the Fitbit dry.  Seems if waterproof watches can be made that it shouldn't be that difficult to waterproof Fitbit.  I wear the HR Charge.  Perhaps it's the heart monitor that makes it difficult? 

Again, Fitbit trackers worn on your wrist are splash-proof AFAIK, so you shouldn’t have needed to take yours off while backpacking in the rain. AFAIK, it’s not the HR monitor, but rather the altimeter (sensor used for detecting "floors").

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm actually surprised they haven't released one

I'm sure alot of people would buy one or want one

heck, some might buy one instead of a normal one just incase.....

Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:

@TrailTrekker wrote:

Again, Fitbit trackers worn on your wrist are splash-proof AFAIK, so you shouldn’t have needed to take yours off while backpacking in the rain. AFAIK, it’s not the HR monitor, but rather the altimeter (sensor used for detecting "floors").

I would lean more towards the open charging ports on many models as being the culprit for not being water "proof."

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have hiked in the rain while wearing my Charge HR on the arm under a light jacket. It got damp, but it didn't bother it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry wrote:

I have hiked in the rain while wearing my Charge HR on the arm under a light jacket. It got damp, but it didn't bother it.

Actually, the last 5K we ran was advertised as "rain or shine," and the rain definitely showed up.  Shorts and a t-shirt with nothing covering my Charge HR.  No problems. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Would people buy the mostly featureless equivalent of a waterproof Zip?

Reading between the lines, I don't think Fitbit wants to have a waterproof tracker that is of a band type. 

From Fitbit's website, "We also recommend taking Flex off before showering because, as with any wearable device, it’s best for your skin if the band stays dry and clean."

Also, the wearables market is all tied up in patent lawsuits. Fitbit may not have the patent rights for a waterproof wearable. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Marcy wrote:

Would people buy the mostly featureless equivalent of a waterproof Zip?

If they developed a waterproof tracker, they would have to have an equivalent non-waterproof one for people like me that do not need that capability and would not want to pay extra for it.  For any company, it is a matter of economy of scale - if they don't think there is enough market for it, they simply won't invest in offering it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
This is encouraging.

Becky
Best Answer
0 Votes

BWright1175 wrote:

I would lean more towards the open charging ports on many models as being the culprit for not being water "proof."

The reason provided by Fitbit in the Waterproof feature request is the altimeter. 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Waterproof/idi-p/26309

Best Answer

Not only should they be water proof, the display screen is too cheaply made on the Fitbit HR.   The display screen on my Fitbit HR chipped on the right side without my bumping it to anything. But it's still working.   I am assuming moisture caused the display to weaken overtime.   I do most of my workout outdoors in warm tropical weather the reason am thinking moisture is what caused the display screen to weaken and eventually chipped.     

For anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors to walk, run or whatever it's best to invest in the Fitbit Blaze or someting better.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

You don't say how long you've had your HR, @SunsetRunner, but almost all of my exercising is outdoors and I have not had any problems with the display on my HR. I tend to sweat heavily, and I am occasionally caught in a rain shower, but it has not affected the HR at all. The Blaze is too big for me, I like the narrow band of the HR, and it has served me well.

Best Answer
0 Votes