Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise Ball for step counts cheating

Hello!  I log about 8 miles a day on my fitbit through walking and running.  My neighbor and friend is in most of my challenges, but I get so frustrated because once she told me that she logs "steps" by bouncing on her exercise ball.  Now I can literally see her across our street doing "steps" while watching tv.  Although this behavior annoys me (call me a legalist), I tolerate it because she needs the exercise more than I need the validation of winning.  But can anyone answer...is bouncing on an exercise ball a legitimate way of aquiring steps?  Please be kind in your response.  Thank you!

Best Answer
45 REPLIES 45

Whatever some people need to do to validate their existance.   I would suggest ignoring the situation.

Best Answer

lol...thanks!  i sort of feel the same way.  cheers to you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ann-on-a-mouse wrote:

Hello!  I log about 8 miles a day on my fitbit through walking and running.  My neighbor and friend is in most of my challenges, but I get so frustrated because once she told me that she logs "steps" by bouncing on her exercise ball.  Now I can literally see her across our street doing "steps" while watching tv.  Although this behavior annoys me (call me a legalist), I tolerate it because she needs the exercise more than I need the validation of winning.  But can anyone answer...is bouncing on an exercise ball a legitimate way of aquiring steps?  Please be kind in your response.  Thank you!

@ann-on-a-mouse By accident I found this as well when I was doing my rehabilitation, also you will find it has an impact on the calories burned, hence possible increased active minutes. The same applies for those using the mini trampolines, In both cases you get increased calories with less effective steps than walking, just the way the Fitbit accelerometer detects the movement..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Ahh...thanks for the response.  It's funny--I am thrilled that she is getting more calories burned than just sitting and watching tv; I just don't like that she gets steps counted for not actually taking them.  I realize that the issue is probably more mine than hers, but my quads are screaming from my run yesterday and I got beat in steps by her.  Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to respond.  🙂  I appreciate it!

Best Answer

@ann-on-a-mouse wrote:

Ahh...thanks for the response.  It's funny--I am thrilled that she is getting more calories burned than just sitting and watching tv; I just don't like that she gets steps counted for not actually taking them.  I realize that the issue is probably more mine than hers, but my quads are screaming from my run yesterday and I got beat in steps by her.  Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to respond.  🙂  I appreciate it!

@ann-on-a-mouse Thanks for the response.. Another comment I overlooked.. I received my active minutes with an average of 90 bounces/minuteSmiley Tongue compared with about 130 steps/minute pounding the pavement. But the upper body HR helps with the trampoline and the exercise ball.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Not much you can do about it. If it bothers you, join challenges she is not a part of.

Best Answer

Challenges can be great motivation to get more exercise.  Winning is great but it is secondary.  If someone gets 'steps' without the activity they aren't cheating you they are cheating themselves so focus on your goals and your health.  

Best Answer

Funniest things I have heard in awhile.....both bouncing on the ball and getting mad at her for bouncing on the ball:-D

Chill and enjoy, that's what I would say. 

I think I'm gonna go and bounce on the ball for a bit. Both of my legs are so sore that I don't want to take more than 5 steps. Don't worry, my fitbit is charging, nothing will be registered:)

Best Answer

I actually laughed reading this - the bouncing ball part not your reaction to it. I think I would be mildly annoyed too, but if she needs it more than you, I am going to assume she is not healthy or she is overweight- her knees and ankles may not support what she wants to do and this keeps her moving. I know jumping around on a trampoline burns good calories. I am not sure its even close, but the alternative would be her sitting and more than likely grazing. In the spirit of friendship, know in your heart what the truth is, but cheer her out loud.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Now you are just putting images in my headSmiley Tongue

Spoiler

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found that any activity that moves the fitbit will log steps.  I wear mine all the time and do some benchwork in my workshop, such as filing, hammering, sawing etc.  I can log up incredible distances after a mornings work and never step a mile! This is one of the inaccuracies I suppose, just have to live with it. The fitbits heart is only a motion sensor after all.

Best Answer

@PalmbayMick wrote:

I have found that any activity that moves the fitbit will log steps.  I wear mine all the time and do some benchwork in my workshop, such as filing, hammering, sawing etc.  I can log up incredible distances after a mornings work and never step a mile! This is one of the inaccuracies I suppose, just have to live with it. The fitbits heart is only a motion sensor after all.

I think those are all legit counts of steps. In fact, even bouncing on the ball could be loosely defined as legit.

Though you'd probably see steam rising from my head if I'm in the same situation watching my friend or neighbor bouncing on that exercise ball just to beef up the step count:-D

Let's face it. This device is anything but accurate. There is massive amount of bugs on synchronization with apps. The apps are all so functionally disparate it's beyond annoying.....not to mention extremly amateurish and buggy. However, the ideas and the community is real and awesome. If I put up with this band, that would be the reason. With the battery lasting less and less (probably less than 2 days on my second charge), it might be paperweight by the end of the week.

Best Answer

@Piggy- who me?? never.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili wrote:

@Piggy- who me?? never.

YupMan Very Happy

Best Answer
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. 🙂
Best Answer
Not sure if this would work, but you can probably try to set it to dominant
hand even if you are wearing it on the non dominant hand.
Best Answer

@ann-on-a-mouse wrote:

but my quads are screaming from my run yesterday 

Just something to think about... I jog in the mornings and it kills my quads. But during the day when I'm sitting at my desk I bounce on my ball and that kills my glutes. I used to make sure my arm was kept on the desk so it wouldn't bounce and get steps but then I decided that ball bouncing has got to be equal to at least a fast walk. It takes some work!! I have to take breaks because I don't want to be too out of breath or sweaty while working. So, now I keep my arm on my leg and let each bounce count at a step. I will say though that I am very intentional with my bounces. I don't just lightly bounce or let the ball do the work. I make sure to put effort into each bounce.

Best Answer

just bought one, the one with sand inside earlier today for my dad to use, I bet he'll mostly use it as a leg rest mind

then found the old one that I got back when I came out of hospital.... pfft

Best Answer

If it bothers you that much dont do challenges with them. Plain and simle

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer