Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise Ball for step counts cheating

Hello!  I log about 8 miles a day on my fitbit through walking and running.  My neighbor and friend is in most of my challenges, but I get so frustrated because once she told me that she logs "steps" by bouncing on her exercise ball.  Now I can literally see her across our street doing "steps" while watching tv.  Although this behavior annoys me (call me a legalist), I tolerate it because she needs the exercise more than I need the validation of winning.  But can anyone answer...is bouncing on an exercise ball a legitimate way of aquiring steps?  Please be kind in your response.  Thank you!

Best Answer
45 REPLIES 45

I bounce on my ball all day at work... it does work my legs and core and gets my heart rate up (sometimes I even break a sweat), which is why I do it. It does count for steps, which I feel like is a little of a cheat, however, that isn't why I am doing it. I like the active sitting so I am not just sitting on my butt all day. My friends that challenge me probably don't like it, but they don't have to challenge me. I put time in on my treadmill and hiking as well. Just keep moving, no matter how or why!

Found on another forum... 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/310665-calories-burned-sitting-on-an-exercise-ball/

Best Answer

The reason I don't enter challenges with my Surge is it gives bonus steps for many activities like hoeing the garden. It also skips steps sometimes, so over a week, it usually comes out about even with my Zip. 

In my opinion, if you are using these steps to win a challenge then it's not quite fair. I would put it well below the level of cheating. If you aren't in a challenge, then bounce away! (Is anyone here old enough to remember Romper Room?)

I've started focusing more on calories which I can pretend are more accurate.

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

In my opinion, if you are using these steps to win a challenge then it's not quite fair. I would put it well below the level of cheating. If you aren't in a challenge, then bounce away! (Is anyone here old enough to remember Romper Room?)

Miss Nancy?  Ohhhh, flashback!

Best Answer

I'm still trying to picture how they are getting the steps...

unless they are sat down on a chair/sofa with the fitbit attached to their ankle and they are bouncing the foot on the ball

bouncing on the ball on your backside is not something I'd imagine you could do for a long time....

Best Answer

curiousity got the better of me....

just tried, either I have bad balance, or they have good balance, because after about a dozen bounces, I ended up flat on the floor.....

Best Answer
I can bounce on mine all day. That's why it's good... You use core and leg strength for balance! My Fitbit blaze never leaves my arm, except when I shower or swim.
Best Answer

Yeah I agree. I have a desk job and the ball forces me to have good posture and be active. I still get my walking in and yoga and exercise, but I don't think it's a cheat. you're just working a different set of muscles. And I do get my HR up and I do sweat, so I don't think it's cheating at all. I think ppl should adopt the 'eyes on their own fitbit' method and not judge others for what they do, nor compare themselves to others. 🙂

Best Answer

I too would feel frustrated but if she needs validation more than results relax and know you're not cheating yourself.  does she have health limitations?  also, check community groups for those that may have different goals than just step counts.  i do know a couple of my groups have people " averaging" the equivalent of 2-3 marathons a day.  they're only fooling themselves. enjoy your progress!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use a ball at my desk. I've kept a spreadsheet of my calories burned (according to fitbit), calories consumed, and my weight for the past few years. My calories are not exaggerated by bouncing. They are pretty dead-on accurate. When I bounce, my core is engaged, I'm using the large muscles in my legs, and my heart rate is elevated into the "fat burning" level. How is that different from walking? I run at least 3 times/week, I do weight training 3 times/week. I average 20,000 "steps" a day. I do NOT participate in challenges because I assume most people would feel the way you do and think I'm cheating. So, I focus on my own goals. 

Best Answer

You should probably let your neighbor know that you can see into her windows. She may not be aware.

Best Answer
This thread made me laugh! I too would feel a bit cheated if I was in challenges withnsomeone who was getting steps for a non step activity. But I would just ease myself out of challenges with them. It is a legit exercise but it aint steps! But then Im not big on challenges either - I get more out of comparing my steps, weight etc to myself than to others. Different strokes I guess
Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NellyG wrote:
This thread made me laugh! I too would feel a bit cheated if I was in challenges withnsomeone who was getting steps for a non step activity. But I would just ease myself out of challenges with them. It is a legit exercise but it aint steps! But then Im not big on challenges either - I get more out of comparing my steps, weight etc to myself than to others. Different strokes I guess

It seems you and I agree on the whole fake step thing, however, "Them's fightin' words" to some folks.  As such I have a strict rule about keeping myself in a "Challenge Free Zone" at all times.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Haha I havent got my fitbit yet, but I will be challenge free too I think!
Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ann-on-a-mouse unfortunately, I don't think there is much that you can do about it. As unfair as it may be, perhaps this your calling to be more active and work harder to outstep your neighbor. Or perhaps if you really want to win, ask politely to say that you actually have to get up and step. Although there is no real way of ensuring that everyone stays 100% true and legitimate, leave that to them to live with, because if they cheat by using a ball if you asked for a challenge to be pure, legitimate steps, then they know they wronged you. If not, then happy stepping and good luck outstepping your neighbor 🙂

Yours Truly,Geoffrey
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ann-on-a-mouse wrote:

Hello!  I log about 8 miles a day on my fitbit through walking and running.  My neighbor and friend is in most of my challenges, but I get so frustrated because once she told me that she logs "steps" by bouncing on her exercise ball.  Now I can literally see her across our street doing "steps" while watching tv.  Although this behavior annoys me (call me a legalist), I tolerate it because she needs the exercise more than I need the validation of winning.  But can anyone answer...is bouncing on an exercise ball a legitimate way of aquiring steps?  Please be kind in your response.  Thank you!

I just re-read your post, and I realize that 8 miles a day is a lot, so I guess the bouncing is a lot of unwarranted "steps", but I still go by my suggestion to ask them to not use an exercise ball for one challenge if you really want to win one.

Yours Truly,Geoffrey
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have bounced on an exercise ball all day, hiked trails, walked through stores or 10 hours at a fair...I burned more calories bouncing with my HR. One day I logged more than 1,500 calories that were extra and 3,000 total calories. Calories are the important part, doesn't matter how you get there. For every 2 steps you take it's only one bounce for her. So maybe you should lighten up a little? Cause if you're just walking and she's bouncing...she's burning more calories than you.

Best Answer

Just out of 8nterest, how do yoh know you have burned more calories bouncing?

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a fitbit HR and it tracks my heart rate. On the days I walk compared
to the days I bounce, I burn more calories on that ball cause my heart rate
is higher. And the step count is about the same for the duration of
whatever exercise I am doing. Now obviously running will get you less steps
with a higher rate of burned calories but just walking at a normal pace I
burn less calories than when on the exercise ball. Granted I use my glutes
to bounce not just my legs. (Sorry for the book lol)
Best Answer

I actually got really interested in this and went back and did some research. There is a day I know I went to the state fair and I looked at the step count compared to a "bounce count" lol, and they were both 19,000 steps. Give or take a few hundred. Now I averaged 2 calories burned/min walking around at a fair with two excited children. Bouncing I averaged 4 calories burned/min. Pretty interesting to say the least. Definitely worth switching out that desk chair for an exercise ball!

Best Answer

Ahhh. That is really interesting! Does it vary with how hard you bounce? Like if you do a very mild little rythem sort of bounce or a much more definite sort of bounce (lol hard to describe!) Maybe I need a ball too!

Community Council Member

Best Answer