Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercising without equipment at home

ANSWERED

I am a 64 year old man who is obese, and about a month ago I decided to do something about it. I have cut back on alcohol and calories, and I go to the gym every day. And it's working! I have already lost eight pounds. I couldn't do it, though, without the motivation my Aria scales and my Charge HR gives me.

Although the gym is obviously fantastic, I would like to get some exercise at home. I have no equipment. I have looked at the web, but everything I have seen either assumes you are fairly fit already (I'm obviously getter fitter, but I still have a long way to go), know what the names of the exercises mean, or understand American jargon ("do it like Lil John").

Can anyone point me to a site that speaks UK English and is for beginners - both in knowledge and fitness levels.

Best Answer
4 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

@NineToTheSky I started as a beginner too, not knowing what a curl, a burpee and all those things meant. Then I started going to the gym at work with a friend and started getting a little better at it. One thing that helped me a lot is looking for workouts on Internet, besides the Youtube tutorials I found that the Neila Rey workouts (look them out in Google) helped me a lot mainly because they are geeky.

You have diverse workouts that you can do with no equipment like squats (1); the burpees I mentioned before (2); and a hole lot of them. Now if what you want is really break a sweat try doing a search for military type workouts, they are  really effective and most of them are without equipment.

You can start by doing less repetitions of each exercise while you get used to the workout and then kick it up a notch as you go. Just the Burpees can make you work up quite a sweat.

(1)squats.jpg               (2)burpees.jpg

Good Luck!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes

1.I don't know what your finances are, but you could ask a trainer at the gym to give you some ideas based on what you are able to do now.  

2.  There is an illustration below of a squat.  That is a critical exercise for the larger muscles and balance.  The one shown might be too advanced.  You can hold a chair for balance, and not go down as far to begin.  Make sure your knees are not beyond your toes.  Butt out a bit helps not strain back.

3.  Lunges - also hold the wall as you go down the hall until your balance gets good.  As you get stronger, you will be able to go lower.  At first, just do what you can.

4. Pushups - I started doing them against a wall  (I had so little strength, that took a lot).  When those get too easy, use something a bit lower, like a counter (just don't hurt your wrists), then a table, then the floor. 

5. Planks - lay down, put elbows under shoulders, and up on toes and hold that for as many seconds as you can.  Keep back straight.  Another option, on hands, under shoulders and knees, or on hands and toes.  Keep body straight, no sagging.  Do not hold too long - this isn't to strain your back.  Your "core" should be tight.  That means trying to hold in your belly as if you were pushing your belly button to your spine.  That is where your core strength comes from.  You should probably do that for most exercise to protect your back, strengthen yourself.

6.  Make sure you stretch after, very gently.  Again, the trainer can direct you to sites or give you some ideas.

Using your own body weight is great.  There might be some tv shows that you have access to that might be helpful, although I find them too advanced here.

Apologies if I am talking in the wrong English.

Hope this helps.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up

Best Answer

@Bobbinyc Thank you for pitching in. 

You are absolutely right on your advice, It's important to keep your own pace and not strain yourself. This can be, I think, the main issue with exercising alone. You have to check and measure the effort by yourself and you have no one to tell you if you ate doing things right or not or if you are . That is why it is important to do the research beforehand and follow the advices. On most exercises what you have to look out is to keep your back straight and not strain it. Remember, doing too little is still doing something, you just have to keep at it longer, doing too much at once can hurt you on the long run.

Happy work out everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You could also try looking up the seven minute workout

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

I go on line and find great exercises to use with weights.  Try going to google and typing in exercizing at home with weights (as in hand weights, whatever pounds you have.  Start out small and get heavier ones).  I wish I had my list in front of me and I would type them all out for you.  But on line is a very good resource!

There are also websites just for this that will pop up when you type that in.  Try them all and find what best suits you.  Sometimes using weights can burn more body fat than walking although I try to do both.

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply, but as I said, I have no equipment or weights. But maybe I should get some! I do do weights at the gym, but my Charge HR says I burn more calories treadmilling or cycling. 

Best Answer

HI there, I am 53 and although I dont look obese, the BMI charts say I am, I am starting over again trying to get back into shape.  If your looking for something that doesnt take up too much space in your home, and keeps challenging you as go along, try Resistance Bands. There are different tension levels, so you can get one that is fairly easy and when it gets too easy, move up to one that has more resistance. You can search You tube for ideas on how to incorporate exercises to your level. The bands are becoming easier to find in different types of department stores. Good Luck

Best Answer

You could try tins of bean or similar as light weighs while doing steps ups on your stairs and progress to large milk cartons filled with water maybe?

You could also try looking on YouTube for videos of exercise routines aimed at training at home.

Good luck.

Best Answer

I stretch, push ups and plus I did buy a 30lb dumbell . I curl,military press,squats and tricep excercises. Hope that helps you

Best Answer

@NineToTheSky I started as a beginner too, not knowing what a curl, a burpee and all those things meant. Then I started going to the gym at work with a friend and started getting a little better at it. One thing that helped me a lot is looking for workouts on Internet, besides the Youtube tutorials I found that the Neila Rey workouts (look them out in Google) helped me a lot mainly because they are geeky.

You have diverse workouts that you can do with no equipment like squats (1); the burpees I mentioned before (2); and a hole lot of them. Now if what you want is really break a sweat try doing a search for military type workouts, they are  really effective and most of them are without equipment.

You can start by doing less repetitions of each exercise while you get used to the workout and then kick it up a notch as you go. Just the Burpees can make you work up quite a sweat.

(1)squats.jpg               (2)burpees.jpg

Good Luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have a cat or know someone with a cat I would tell you to save two litter jugs. Fill them with garden sand and tahh dahh...weights that you can tailor to your ability.

Best Answer

1.I don't know what your finances are, but you could ask a trainer at the gym to give you some ideas based on what you are able to do now.  

2.  There is an illustration below of a squat.  That is a critical exercise for the larger muscles and balance.  The one shown might be too advanced.  You can hold a chair for balance, and not go down as far to begin.  Make sure your knees are not beyond your toes.  Butt out a bit helps not strain back.

3.  Lunges - also hold the wall as you go down the hall until your balance gets good.  As you get stronger, you will be able to go lower.  At first, just do what you can.

4. Pushups - I started doing them against a wall  (I had so little strength, that took a lot).  When those get too easy, use something a bit lower, like a counter (just don't hurt your wrists), then a table, then the floor. 

5. Planks - lay down, put elbows under shoulders, and up on toes and hold that for as many seconds as you can.  Keep back straight.  Another option, on hands, under shoulders and knees, or on hands and toes.  Keep body straight, no sagging.  Do not hold too long - this isn't to strain your back.  Your "core" should be tight.  That means trying to hold in your belly as if you were pushing your belly button to your spine.  That is where your core strength comes from.  You should probably do that for most exercise to protect your back, strengthen yourself.

6.  Make sure you stretch after, very gently.  Again, the trainer can direct you to sites or give you some ideas.

Using your own body weight is great.  There might be some tv shows that you have access to that might be helpful, although I find them too advanced here.

Apologies if I am talking in the wrong English.

Hope this helps.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

@Bobbinyc Thank you for pitching in. 

You are absolutely right on your advice, It's important to keep your own pace and not strain yourself. This can be, I think, the main issue with exercising alone. You have to check and measure the effort by yourself and you have no one to tell you if you ate doing things right or not or if you are . That is why it is important to do the research beforehand and follow the advices. On most exercises what you have to look out is to keep your back straight and not strain it. Remember, doing too little is still doing something, you just have to keep at it longer, doing too much at once can hurt you on the long run.

Happy work out everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your excellent reply @Bobbinyc. Your Engish is very correct!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @NineToTheSky - I realize I'm coming into this thread a little late, but better late than ever.

I am a 67 year old male who, two years ago, was also obese due to bad eating habits and lack of exercises. Fast forward two years, and I'm now at a normal weight and better fit than when I was 37 years younger.

For me, ThereBands has worked magic. They are relatively cheap, can be used practically anywhere, they are safe (as long as you follow the prescribed safeguards), and the number of exercises you can do with them can target all your muscle groups. When I do a theraband workout, it's usually a 10-min warm-up, followed by 20 min. cardi (yes, you can do cardio with bands); followed by 20 strengthening circuit routine, and a 10 min. coold down and stretching. Excellent for toning up and increasing your metabolism for the balance of the day. TheraBand is a brand name - their are many other choices out there. But I prefer this type of bands (elastic) than tubes.

Hope this helps. And congratulations on your weight loss - you're doing great. That's what Fitbit is all about, that paradigm shift from a sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy foods; to a more active life and food intake tailored to your needs. 

Best of luck.

TW

Best Answer

Thanks @TandemWalker. I have looked at TheraBands on their website and Amazon, and I'm confused: I don't understand the lengths, which seem to go from 0.5m to 5.5m. Which length is best to get? Or are different ones best for particular exercises?

And I don't know which 'strength' to get. It will work out quite expensive if I have to try them out (or Amazon will get fed up with my returns!)

Best Answer

@loveabull wrote:

If you have a cat or know someone with a cat I would tell you to save two litter jugs. Fill them with garden sand and tahh dahh...weights that you can tailor to your ability.

I have two cats, but they use the garden rather than a litter tray! But I get what you are saying.

Best Answer

Hi @NineToTheSky - A band is usuall 5 to 5.5 feet in lenght. When you see 5.5 metre, it means that the bands ships in a roll that is 5.5 m long, thus allowing you to cut three bands out of one roll. The roll usually turns out to be a bit cheaper. Thera-Band also sells handles and a door anchor that you can get pretty cheap, which are very nice to have. Some folks prefer to use just the bands; but with arthritis in my hands, I find the handles much more comfortable. If you shop around on the web, you'll find some pretty good deals. Some sports shop also carry Thera in large rolls and will cut you a length at a fraction of what you find on the web.  In terms of durability, I use them almost daily during the autumn/winter months; and a band will usuall last about three months. Hope this helps. Take care.

TW 

Best Answer

@NineToTheSky - One more thing. When you buy a TheraBand, it also comes with a simplified guide that offers about 30 different exercises ... But you will find plenty of workouts, including some circuit workouts, using bands on the web. I do some lights weights routines as well; but the nice thing about bands is that you can take them with you anywhere.

TW

Best Answer

@NineToTheSky Adding to the comments from @TandemWalker the strengths of the TheraBand refer to the resistance that each of them has. The higher the strength the more effort you will need to extend them. In this case if you want to start lightly you can start at low strengths and work your way up according to your progress. 

If you have more questions please ask us in the Community, we will help you as we can Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

You could also try looking up the seven minute workout

Best Answer

Thank you @RichardWatts. That is exactly what I am looking for.

Best Answer

Hi NineToTheSky -- I came to this discussion very, very late. I see you got the answer you wanted, however, I would just like to add one thing. You mentioned your FitBit Charge HR showing that you burn more calories during treadmilling or cycling rather than when lifting weights. Although that is true, one thing not considered in that equation is that the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn even at rest. So, although in the short term, building muscle won't look like you're burning as many calories, in the long term, it will increase the calories your body burns every single day. Once we get past the age of 30, our bodies lose about 1/2 pound of muscle per year if we are not doing any kind of resistance workout / weight lifting. Sounds like you are well on your way to a more healthy self. Congratulations and best wishes to you for complete success!

Best Answer