Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find the seconds to my run??

I logged my run as 45 minutes, but I cannot find where the seconds are supposed to be? It definitely was not 45 minutes exactly. How do I find this on the app? Was not a problem with the old design, it seems to be with the new update, seconds do not show 😕

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44

@BenBTizMe this isn't training. It's racing which usually is an end-goal of training. Nobody trains to beat times in training. Runner needs to know lots of details including seconds but actual times matter only for certain runs (racing, TT, all-outs and sprints by distance may need that). Fitbit isn't runners wearable, lacks many useful things from running dynamics to structured workouts that the watch can guide you through. Lack of seconds in duration (and start time) is annoying but for me it annoys me only when I race where seconds are quite important (but I may be less annoyed because Fitbit isn't my primary tracker due to having no training features).

Best Answer
0 Votes

From what I've found online, the seconds have been gone for several years.

I just put a shortcut to the online version on my phones start screen.  No different than using the app. There is way more information in the Fitbit side of Google than the Google fit app side of Google. So, I'm pretty happy with the only issue being that I have to open one shortcut to see the seconds.

And I get it, beating your previous time is a goal. I do this too.

Best Answer

The setting for seconds being displayed isn’t years - it happened in iOS version of the app once Google required one to log on using their authentication- around Nov 23. I’m not quite sure what your point is? That Fitbit isn’t a real fitness device so it’s no big deal? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TruXter yes and no. On Android, there was a way to see full duration of runs by tapping the edit icon in the app. Then duration was shows with seconds. Not straight forward but quick (one tap). On iOS, the duration was displayed with seconds (both apps are not made the same).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Triletics - I'm the "nobody who trains to beat my times in training"....

I train for several races throughout the year. I haven't set out for a PR in years. In between races I tend to reduce my running to what some might call "garbage miles" because at these times I run for fun and relaxation. I run with music and I let the playlist dictate the pace. 

When it's time to start training for a race again I'm nowhere near the level I want to be. If I'm training for a short race/5k then I run a 5k for each training run and the goal for each training run is to beat the previous training run's time. At some point I'll progress to the point where I have a hard time beating the minutes of the previous training times and seconds become the number to beat. As you can see I am training to beat my "training" times.  For me its great motivation to improve each run. I use this same approach with longer distances but I have to pick interim distances to beat the time on.  For example, I'm training for a 15k so the first 3 weeks are about beating the time on those 5ks before I increase the distance. I may start out running those 5ks moderately but at some point it'll become a full out speed test (at least for me 🙂 to beat those times so I've laid a nice base for the move up in training distance.

I'm a senior and I've been at this for decades and this is how my running has developed.

Best Answer

@BenBTizMe very unique method. Why then you use Fitbit? It's probably worst watch for a competitive runner 🤷 it offers absolutely nothing to support racing and training.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Triletics - Couldn't agree more that the Fitbit isn't the best device for racing but it does work for my laid back approach and I get to track other items like sleep, HRV, SPO2 and get my texts and emails while pounding the pavement. I also have been known to run routes that paint "interesting" pictures in the GPS mapping.😁 There have been many times throughout my Fitbit use (This is my 4th or 5th Fitbit) where I was just about done with them but... removing the seconds from the app is the final straw because it reeks of a lack of understanding or caring for the customer.  Once my Sense bites the dust I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

If I were setting out for PRs or trying to make way in my age bracket I would go back to training the way I was taught decades ago and get a better watch.  My training approach is all about running that race comfortably while still putting in times I'm satisfied with.  I also run some races with different folks so I like to make sure I train enough not to hold up the youngsters.

My PRs are now more about how many free beers I can drink after a "beer" run.

Best Answer
0 Votes

4 months latter, and this has still not been fixed 😞
I changed my login to Google and then checked for an app update - neither fixed the issue. 
It is in fact incomprehensible that such an important UI error can persist for so long!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just an update everyone -

I have now switched to a Garmin. Been loving it for the past few months and there is so much more detail in comparison to FitBit! 

And happy to say, there ARE actually seconds to my runs now 😉

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and comments, I was happy to know I was not alone!

Best Answer

Is it possible to upload it to Strava? I'm not sure how to do it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

, that sounds great! Did you bring all your data or start from scratch? I have 11 years of data so being cautious about moving but Garmin looks the best route. What one did you get too? 

Vince
Best Answer
0 Votes

With Strava you will add permission to link with your Fitbit (and/or Garmin.) When you use the GPS as soon as Fitbit tracks your walk or run or bike it will appear on Strava with the seconds. The map will be there too. 

Best Answer

They brought back the seconds 

1000010064.png

Best Answer

Excellent news!!!!  Thanks Fitbit!!!!

Best Answer

Hi,

Just happened upon this thread and seconds seem to be there - just tap on the exercise in "Today". 

Sorry if I have misunderstood the query but it seems to show the data required.

Best wishes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

1000010064.png

Scroll up and look two comments before yours.

The seconds used to be there. Then for a long time, they were not. Then today, they reappeared.

Best Answer

@TruXter they brought it back quietly with recent update of app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still can’t see it on iOS - is that what you’re using? Updated to the latest version yesterday 4.15. Still not showing….? Just the rounded down minutes.. 

Best Answer

Can you confirm if this is on iOS as I don’t see it?!?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh, I'm on Android. Hopefully it's not an accident they did this. iPhone usually gets features first. Simply because it takes longer to get approval from apple. So, maybe the apple version is just hung up on approval.

Meantime, try and double check all app updates.

Best Answer
0 Votes