Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698

Way to go, Kathy!  ^5

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't own a car but I do have a dog that has to be walked, so I'm making my 10K steps a day with ordinary ativities.  Next I have to start taking the stairs at work rather than escalators and elevators.  The weather here is brutal right now, so our outdoor walks are limited to 20 minutes each, and the ice on the sidewalks makes it slow going.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome all new folks!  Cindy, yes we don't care if you are not yet 60.  Please feel free to come often and post often!  There is a lot of good information and support to be found here.  Also, for those who are interested, please join the GROUP of Women Over 60 found under Activity Groups (when you click on Communities).  We are posting our New Year's goals now and there is a Mother's Day challenge just started over there.  If you do not like the idea of moving around from one section to another, you can join the Mother's Day challenge under Weight Loss in the DISCUSSIONS area as well.

Let's get fit and support each other as we doing it!  Happy New Year!

Best Answer

Good Morning everyone and Happy New Year!  I am so ready for a fresh start and making plans.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for your welcoming group, am looking forward to new yea goals, Julie
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone!  Glad I found this discussion - I need to get back into my routine but with working full time which involves sitting in front of the computer all day, it can be tough.  Especially during year end.  I'm looking forward to getting back in shape.  Are we setting a goal to follow? Smiley Happy

Joyce Rivera
Best Answer
0 Votes
I too have a dog. Great walking companions. The best
Happy New Year
Remember 2014 is blank. We need to create our story.
Barbara
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Happy New Year to all, especially our new FitBitters!

Barbara,  is that a New Year's Haiku?  I've been meditating on it and am thinking I should get a dog!

Now, someone asked about tips on motivating your spouse--from my own experience I recommend getting them the book "Younger Next Year".  For many years I was the reluctant one while my husband went out to walk 10000 steps every day. Then this year my brother sent me that book (the pink version for women) for my birthday--I was a little bit in angst about my age and was interested in gaining a younger 'outlook' and also 'look' a little younger too. . So I picked it up and read the first few pages.    Much to my surpise, reading that book made me jump off the couch and get out there and start pep stepping.  My husband is thrilled and I'm feeling much better, too--emotionally and physically.

Last night the dinner conversation focused on our New Year's Resolutions.  Our friends had something about health on their list--like 'eat less', 'move more'.  Kind of vague.  I mentioned to them about FitBit--that setting goals and then keeping track really helped me stay with the 'move more' concept every day.  Seemed that a few at the dinner already had FitBits and love them too.  

Cheers for the New Year!  Judy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Ladies,

I joined and now my Flex is not charging.  I really do take good care of my stuff but I've really had some bad luck with my fitbit!  This is the 2nd one in less than a year (they seem to be lasting about 3 months).  Has anyone else experienced this?  The first time customer service was great but I'm afraid what they will say if I create another case.  I take it off when I shower and I've not dropped it.  I wonder if I should try upgrading to the Force (I currently have the Flex) but I am getting very frustrated with all the hassling. 

Could it be my body chemistry??  Just a thought.

Joyce Rivera
Best Answer
0 Votes
I too have had problems. Last one was that I put it in backwards so no monitoring of activity thinking about going back to the fit one. Much easier to use. Batteries can be replaced anywhere any time. No worries about charging.
I thought the flex could be worn in the shower and pool, can anyone set me straight on this?
Still all in all really like wearing the fit bit. Gives me the push I need

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
I haven't had the problem of putting it in backwards; just no charging.
Yes, you can wear the Flex in the shower but I'm not sure about the pool.
I just take it off before I take a shower as a safeguard since this is my
2nd one. It seems they are only lasting about 3 months.

--
*Joyce M Rivera*
Joyce Rivera
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not over 60....but over 50.   I would suggest weight lifting!  My gal pal at the gym is 79 and can now do pull ups, unassisted.  She lost weight by putting on lean muscle.  It's harder and harder to keep lean muscle as we age and too much cardio can diminish it!  Eat lots of protein, spend some mone on someone to each you free weights...heavy!  You can do it! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

HMM, I originally chose the Flex as I thought it was able to be used in the shower and pool, as it appeared to be advertised that wY, BUT  when it arrived it said not to be used in the pool. This was a bit disappointing as I do a fair bit of swimming . Smiley Happy I have only had my Flex a couple of months, so am hoping it will last as I am not taking it off to shower.

Best Answer
0 Votes
funny I to have worn it in the shower but feel nervous to wear in pool.. It does seem that it says OK for pool.

I'm thinking I may go back to the zip as it is easier but I had wanted to see how well my sleep pattern is. Oh well
Best Answer
0 Votes
79 WOW now that encouraging
Best Answer

I too have lost 30 lbs since July 2013, most of it Oct, Nov, and Dec.  I seem to have hit a wall and I'm at a stand still and struggling not to gain.  I am still logging everyday and find that I am eating more & still hungry , which was not the case before.  Any help.  Also, stressing over this week.  Our weather will be below 0 the next couple of days and will probably not have our indoor swim classes (roads predicted to be very icy and dangerous).  What do I do to move enough not to gain?  I have several projects planned to keep my hands busy so maybe I won't be shoveling in the food. Help me through this week!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! I just got my Flex yesterday and am getting used to it on my wrist. I did take a shower with it on this morning. Do most of you leave it on to shower? I am retired and don't get near enough exercise as I did when working---hence the Fitbit Flex for motivation. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome Elizabeth.  I don't have a flex so can't answer your question about showering but I bet you will find tracking your steps to be motivating to get more of them.  It sure worked for me!

Ali, I am hungrier when I eat grains.  Less hungry if I fill up on fruits and veggies and beans.  Maybe a few nuts or seeds in a smoothie or on a salad but not as a snack!!  No crackers, chips, rice, bread or pizza.  Makes me want to just keep eating.  I could probably eat a whole large pizza and still be hungry an hour later.  But if I eat a plate of beans and veggies, it will stay with me for hours.  I am curious to see what other's say that they do.  Glad you asked the question!

As for getting your steps when you can't get outside.  You would be amazed how many steps you can get dancing.  I put on Pandora radio station and dance or sometimes I will even walk a loop around the house till I get the steps I need.  The fast paced music really keeps me moving quickly and it can actually be kind of fun!  I listen to the Aretha Franklin channel but you could pick any kind of music that works for you!

Keep us posted on how it goes and what worked for you.  I learned the dancing idea from others in this group so maybe we can get some more good ideas flowing here.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

Alice I was in the same prediciment I bought the video called "Walk at home" kinda got tired of the WII and just by walking right here in the house it is really helping we, first there a 5 minute warm up then a 15 minute walk and by the time it's over I'm sweating pretty good.  It's by Leslie Sansone, she"s really good the one I have is called Walking Slim, cost about $12.00 at wal-mart.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, Liz, you can shower with it on.  I love it I had the Body Media for about a YEAR, IT COST MORE AND YOU HAD TO CHARGE IT EVERY NIGHT AND TAKE IT OFF DURING A SHOWER AND I"D LEAVE IT ON THE SINK  😉 sorry about the caps, and forgot to replace it sometimes.  I really love the dashboard it explains everything showing how many calories your burned that day, I just aim to burn over 500 in that way I know I'll lose a pound a day.  '=)

Best Answer
0 Votes