Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698

Hi Shelley,   I was dancing to Cajun music this morning---great fun! And added steps!

Elizabeth

Best Answer

I'm not 60 until July, but I feel much better since changing to a plant-based diet. I started a website a while ago that has some of my favorite ideas for improving diet broken down into easy steps. If you have some ideas to improve the site, please comment in the blog section and I will upgrade the site with your awesome input! Thanks! Go to www.teamvegan.com

Best Answer

I agree that going to the gym - first thing in the morning - helps get the day started best.  You get in.  You get out & you feel good.  Can't agree more.  I got hooked on spinning and go to a 6 am class 3X/week.  Some days getting out of bed @ 5 am in bitter cold weather (18 degrees) was tough.  But now I'm done.  I can stay warm for the rest of the day.

Best Answer

I found the group and I'm glad to be here! My Fitbit was a Christmas gift so this is all new to me.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Myra --

Fitbit is new to me too but it's a Christmas present I asked for. I'm
enjoying using it and I love the fact that I'm accountable - to myself -
for the info I put in. Keep moving. I have a bad cold that has really
knocked me flat for a few days but I've still managed to exercise. Hope
you continue too . . . as we get past 60 we need to keep in shape. It's
all downhill from here! Haha.
Best Answer
Good to see you keeping fit , have lots of fun 😉
Best Answer

For free fitness tips join my group 

http://www.fitbit.com/group/223KH3

I help answer any questions as well as provide tips on health and fitness!

Best Answer

Hi everyone!  I just got my fitbit flex yesterday and am looking forward to sharing process with all of you. I gained 12 pounds over the holidays that I need to get rid of. I've also become a big couch/deskchair potato and need to get my butt moving. I'm hoping the money spent on this fitbit will motivate me to use it. If I don't, I can't even use it to hang clothes on!

fitbit flex user
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance....." from "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack
Best Answer

Great job losing that weight!  I have been having tremedous pain in my hips too I have rhematoid arthitis but i surely have to lose a few and that will hopefully help with my situation as far as my hips are concerned to.  I just got the fit bit one a couple of days ago and I am really feeling already it is going to avail itself to what i have to acomplish take care, Erica

Best Answer
0 Votes

I stay in shape by picking a fitness goal every year to strive for....Started --2012>Hiked Grand Canyon, last year>>several 5K's, 2014---Hiking coast to coast trip Ireland! 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah  !!! Just found you.............got my force for Christmas.  A great motivator BUT soooooooooo much difficulty with the "clasp"- only way I can use it is to SLIP on & off.  What are your  other tricks??  Am I the only one that has that trouble?

Best Answer
0 Votes

oooooops, didn't realize that would pop up soooooooo purple.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

oooooops, sorry- didn't realize that last post would be so "purple"......

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hey, Jersey! I could not do the clasp for the first couple of days, either!! Maybe a week. Then one day it came undone, and there was nobody home to fix it for me, and I tried it, and now I can clasp it. It needed to give a bit, I guess!

Nancy
Best Answer
0 Votes

Jersey, the Force seems to have a lot of problems with the clasp. There are about 35 pages in the fitbit help forum with problems. They have some suggestions over there to keep from losing it.

fitbit flex user
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance....." from "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack
Best Answer
0 Votes

We have many women in our group that walk with their Fitbits faithfully (over 60) - a buddy system is a must - it makes you accountable and there is nothing wrong with friendly competition - it will move you off of the couch!  We have a nice group of people that walk every morning faithfully!  4,000 miles last year!  

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

Hi Shelley,

I have just started with my Fitbit Force last week.

I am hoping it helps keep me motivated to walk more.

My goal is 10, 000 steps a day. I turn 60 this week and want to be more fit and lower my BP.

Need to get off the recliner and be more active!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all! New to Fitbit, a Christmas present from my son! So far I am liking my Fitbit Flex a lot! Keeping track of my sleep pattern has been really helpful and logging my food keeps me accountable! I lost 33 lbs about 3 years ago and have been trying to maintain since then--I think maintenance is harder than loosing it! I don't go to the gym, living in Michigan where we are having a brutally cold and snowy January but I have found some really good workout routines to do with things in my home that so far have kept me on track. When I can get out side to walk, I walk & walk! A 63 year old with arthritic knees knows you have to keep moving and that is what I try to do! I love this topic--learning so much from all of you. 

Best Answer

We've got Silver and Fit now at our YMCA.  It is basically the same as Silver Sneakers which I have been in for several years. If you get a chance and you can take advantage of these programs you get excellent muscle, strength and range of motion exercises and it really does help you to do more of the things you like to do. All it takes is 45 minutes of your time a few times a week.

Best Answer

I am 58 and I move every day - whether I want to do it or not - gets the blood flowing!  

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer