Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698

I finally found it, but will get back later today. I have been sitting here for hours!!!! Shelly, I will save this some how and try to figure out more on it later......Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Where did you find them. I like using those little guys. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes
Great Job! I will look forward to the Silver Sneakers when I turn 65 November 2015. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Shelly, I am almost 62  and I do understand the changes that we have to go through. I just got the fit bit

and I find it is the perfect reminder for me to do my cardio. I walk on a tread mill for 30 minutes at a 3 pace and a 2 upgrade. I usually hate the cardio part, but the fitbit keeps me on track. But I cannot stress enough the importance of strength training. I work out 3 days a week at the gym. Not only will you keep your body strong, but it takes more calories to maintain muscle, so you will burn additional calories just by strenght training. If you never trained before, I suggest a trainer to show you what you should be doing, how much you should be doing, and the proper way to do the exercise. Try adding this to your routine. I think you will be surprised by the benefits

Best Answer

I agree whole heartedly about the strength training.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Happy to be part of these discussions.  I am hoping I am responding in the correct place.  It took me a while to find this group.  Hope I can find it again!  63 years young.  Just getting started.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Perfect advice!!!  Strength training is key to strong bones, maintaining muscle mass and keeping fit for years!  I'm in my 50's and have a friend that is 79.  Started strength training a few years ago.  She now does pullups!  I can't do pull ups and I'm pretty strong!  You can do it at any age, but get a trainer and learn proper form.  Most of all, believe and give it 100% without complaining!

Best Answer

No complaining? Where's the fun in that!?!  😉

I agree with the strength training...you build muscle mass which in turn uses more calories to fuel movement...or lack thereof. Personally I believe free weights and using your body to perform movements (like pushups, planks, lunges, etc.) is far more beneficial than machines that move on pulleys, regardless of the weight bearing. Again, this is something that you must work up to...so you don't pull something vital...like a lung 😉

Happy lunging! (I love puns)

Best Answer

OOOO so glad you let others know about the Silver Sneakers "sterhill". I have belonged to it for 5 years and it is the best program.  You are so right when you say " It is so nice to be able to go in the afternoon when it is not busy to work out". And to take a dance class and swim for a while. And the best part is it dose not brake our bank.  My wish for all today is to Be Healthy, Happy and Peacefull.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Whew! You people exhaust me! You ask, "Why not complain!" My answer is that there is no use for negative crap! No excuses! Just embrace what is positive in your world and let the rest GO! No need for that kind of anger and frustration in life! Move on and do awesome!!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Several of you have encouraged me returning to the "community" after posting quite a bit in the past. Amelia's answer is one of the main reasons I stay away most of the time.  Too much sniping, not snipping, sniping.  Some people just get their knickers in a wad and have no sense of humor...(I said...why not complain, where's the fun in that!)  Come on now, Amelia...get a giggle on!

I think others will agree I'm one of the most positive people in here and try only to be helpful.  Guess I'll just go back to messaging my friends.  "See you in the funny papers."  (That's a reference to an old gaff, Amelia.  I'm not insulting anyone or intimating that we're all loonies.")

Best Answer

Hi SusanC,  Don't leave the community. Forget her and keep on being positive and stepping with that beautiful smile.  My wish for you and everyone else is to be Healthy, Happy and Peacefull. U R FB pal

Best Answer

Well said, Amelia417.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome back, SusanC. The problem with online discussions is that they are not face to face, so you can't see if people are smiling when they post, and the stark black and white of the written word always sounds so much colder than intended. 

When I read these posts, I just skim, looking for info that might be of use, like recipes, inspiring quotes, practical advice, or just something funny. The rest I just skip and move on, as I don't have much time to spend reading and posting, or I won't get my steps in. I hope you enjoy your posting and reading time, and good luck with your program, too!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So great to find this forum....I got my fitbit about 3 weeks ago, and this little thing definitely keeps me in check!! I do get close to 5,000 steps at my job during the day, but find that Jazzercise is my workout of choice 4-5 times a week. Aerobics, strength training, great music to move to.....love it!! I'm down 8 lbs since mid November....would love to lose another 10. Have a 7 day cruise booked for 2/28 and need to get into a bathing suit!!

Best Answer

I, too, just got my FitBit and have a cruise leaving on the 21st. I'm having a helluva time losing weight now that I'm 68. I am relatively active, aerobic dancing 2-3 times a week and I love to dance but sure could use some advice on diet programs, etc. Thanks

Best Answer

Hey Judy....I'm counting calories, staying away from sugar and any kind of bread. I guess it's pretty close to low carb, I eat so much chicken I almost cluck!! Lots of veggies, lots of meat, very little fruit, I do indulge on greek yogurt with fruit. The weight certainly doesn't come off like it used to, but boy, it sure can go on easy enough huh? Good luck to you and have fun on your cruise!!

Best Answer

The topic of this particular thread is "How do women over 60 get in shape?". Taking that to heart, I'm thinking that not only does that mean exercise, but also correct and healthy eating. For those that don't know, my son is a certified CrossFit trainer and gives me regular advice (talk about turning the tables!). I recently asked him, how do I get rid of this "lower roll" around my tummy.  He said, "You can't exercise that off, that comes off in the kitchen." Dangit.

So, here I am, working out an hour a day, 7 days a week, and still having trouble exercising my weight off.  I didn't gain any during the holidays, but was successful only because I exercised a LOT. Now I want to start losing again, so guess what...it's starting in the kitchen.

I found some extra "tips" on getting it off faster and will share them with y'all over the next few days. Some from "the boy" (who is actually 36) and some from places like Men's Fitness Magazine.

Stop Looking at the Scale!

Are you a scale-watcher? Do you check in on that little slab of doom every morning before you get dressed? Well, you’re doing yourself a disservice, especially if your goal is to lose fat and gain muscle. If you’ve been going to gym every day, eating right, and staying active there’s a good chance you don’t see a big drop in the scale because, as you’re losing fat, you’re also gaining muscle. Looking at the scale and not seeing the numbers drop can be discouraging. Instead, stick to your fitness routine and forget the numbers. You’ll be healthier and the fat will continue to fly off.

Reduce Carbs: Eat More Proteins and Fats 

Everyone loves their carbs. We know, we know. They’re so tasty! But guess what? They’re terrible for you if you’re always stuffing your face with them! The most important step is to control the carbohydrates. Most people get fat from eating too many carbs, eating carbs alone, and eating them late at night. Instead, what people should do is eat carbs in combination with complete proteins and good fats. Eating carbs alone will lead to an increase in blood glucose. This increase in blood glucose causes an over release of insulin and then triggers a fat storage response by the body. This triggers the body's hunger mechanism as well as its sugar craving mechanism. When carbs are combined with proteins and fats, glucose in the blood stream is buffered by the metabolites of the consumed proteins and fats. This will not lead to an over release of insulin and thus not fat storage, hunger or sugar cravings.

And, more importantly,  remember that all carbs turn to sugar (glucose). Good carbs. Bad carbs. Net carbs. Fibrous carbs. They all turn to sugar! Which, in turn, causes a hormonal influence (insulin over-release) to fat gain. Eating complete proteins and good fats does not cause this mechanism to happen.

Never Skip Breakfast

According to a WebMD article, eating a healthy breakfast daily can be a great contributor in losing weight and keeping it off. Often times, people that skip breakfast end up replacing all those calories with more (and lower quality) food throughout the day. By skipping breakfast, they’re setting themselves up to be extremely hungry earlier in the day and will sometimes even binge to placate those feelings of hunger. Breakfast is the earliest meal of the day – and the one that occurs before you start burning all those calories with your daily routine – so start chowing down in the morning and you’ll set yourself up to have a great, healthy day.

Best Answer
Good morning! I've had my Force for a couple months now and I've found it to be a huge help in just keeping me moving. I've been fighting weight all my life it seems and have vacillated between 140 and 170 for years now. I've been on the higher end for the past few years but find myself doing more, walking more and generally more aware since I've been wearing my Force. I try never to be without it. I'm losing about a pound a week by exercising (moderately) and trying to eat much less sugar and almost no wheat. In general, watching carbohydrates but not eliminating anything completely. Keeps me from going crazy when I do eat one of those foods. I only weigh myself on Monday mornings so I don't get fanatic about the scale. That's it in a nutshell and it seems to be working.
Barbara
Best Answer

Good post, Susan!!  All good info!

Best Answer
0 Votes