Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698

Great post Susan and so right! It really is the food. I am really taking charge of my intake. I think I was eating way to much so while I am still keeping my foods to some meat, veggies, fruits I have cut back abit and have added some fats. Coconut oil and more avacados and nuts in moderation. Its really a good basic way to eat and not that much different then when I was a kid... except for the cocunut oil. But we had no soda, a fruit bowl for snacks, some peanut butter. We always used real butter. And we had meat and potatoes every night. I was thin and no one in my family was overweight. We never had bread with meals when I was young, not sure why.  Its so good to have reminders from everyone about good ideas for our health ..thank you all...

Best Answer

Here's another installment of "Good Stuff":

Eat Smaller Meals More Often (And Don't Skip the Snacks!)

There's a reason that most nutritionists tell their clients that they should be eating six small meals a day rather than the three large meals that most people are accustomed to eating.  It's all about managing cravings and to prevent overeating. When your body goes several hours without food, it starts to assume it's never going to get food again, (mine should certainly know better by now) upping the odds of eating binges and dangerous cravings. To combat that effect, it's smart to eat six small, well-timed meals a day to keep yourself full throughout the day.

Vary Your Caloric Intake

Here's the thing about the human body: It's much smarter than you think. If  your daily caloric target is 1500 calories and  you hit that number consistently every single day, your body is going to recognize it and  your metabolism will start to plateau (so to speak).  If you want to "trick" your body into jumpstarting your metabolism again, all  you need to do is vary that daily caloric intake to keep it guessing.  Try downing 1200 calories one day and 1800 the next.  As long as it all balances out, you should be fine and there's a good chance your increased rate of metabolism should help you burn fat faster.  According to a 2011 article in Livestrong.com, "The idea is that you keep your body guessing and avoid plateaus in weight loss.  Some recommend you calorie shift daily, while others suggest that you eat consistently six days each week and schedule one 'cheat' day (and ONLY ONE) in which you eat your guilty, calorie-laden pleasures." Also, author Lyle McDonald writes in "The Ketogenic Diet" that many people successfully restart fat loss by alternating calorie intake daily. Change, it seems can be a very good thing!

Best Answer

Happy Thursday, y'all!

For today's "Good Stuff I've Found", here is some more information that has helped on my health journey:

Everyone's "breakfast" needs are certainly not the same. Keep in mind the name "break fast". I break my fast about 9 when I get home from the gym. Sometimes it's an eggwhite omelet and fruit, sometimes it's a protein shake with "greens" (asparagus, kale, wheat grass powder, spinach - and unsweetened cocoa because I love it and it's also good for you - along with turmeric and vanilla) (all this tastes like a Wendy's frosty IMHO). Sometimes the breakfast is more or less, depending on where I am. Whatever works is what's best, and sometimes even that changes.  Change is good!
Wait 20 minutes before going for seconds.
Throw on a hoodie before working out. When your muscles are warm, you actually burn more calories.
Use a smaller dinner plate—it’ll limit how much you can pile on.
Use a blue dinner plate. (Mine is small and blue and divided into sections. Meat goes in the medium with veggies in the large section and fruit in the smallest section.) Studies show the color has an appetite- suppressing effect (as opposed to red and yellow plates).
Sub in nonfat Greek yogurt for mayo and sour cream—you’ll save 700 cals and 100 cals per half cup, respectively. (This is good advice, but who would eat a cup of sour cream in ANYTHING?!?)
If you must eat peanuts, eat them from their shells. You’ll nosh on 50% fewer nuts in a sitting just trying to peel before eating.
Chew on sugar-free mint gum after a meal. Mint flavors send signals to your brain that it’s time to stop eating.
Eat at the kitchen table—not on the couch.
Drink more water. Being dehydrated can fool your body into feeling hungry.
Eat More Home-Cooked Meals and Eat Out Less - Unless you’ve been plugging away at a healthy lifestyle for a long time, going out to eat at restaurants can be a daunting task. Most menus don’t provide very good details and calorie counts on all their meals, so knowing what to order can often be an exercise in futility. The more home-cooked meals you eat, the more likely you’re able to maintain that healthy lifestyle. It’s much easier to control portion, ingredients, and quality of the food when you’re cooking it yourself. You hear that? That’s the sound of you tying up your apron. Good work!
I'm off to another girlfriend's weekend so I won't post for a couple of days. But I have found more good stuff and will share soonest! Y'all have a great and active day!

Best Answer

Hi Everyone!  I just got my Fitbit Force two weeks ago, and am hoping to be one of the lucky ones that doesn't get a rash!  I love this gadget--highly motivating so far.  I've been reading through the 60+ discussions, and find this group to be so encouraging and interesting!  

I don't know if this is the right place to add this, but if anyone wants to add me as a friend, I'd love to have some!  My email is angela2932@gmail.com.   I'm not really sure how the friend feature works, but I'm hoping I'll figure it out as I go along. 

Sigh!  If only there was a way to walk while I type this! Time to hit the treadmill, since there's no way I'm going outside until spring, here in North Dakota!

Best Answer

Hey Angela....welcome to the group.  I'm in the twin cities, so I completely understand about the outside cold!!  If your treadmill has "arms" you can put a board across it and walk while you type!!  It's how I survived the boring slow walking after my back surgery last year.  I still do it occasionally and just put my laptop on it!!

Best Answer

OMG Carol, this is brilliant! I'm going to give it a try!

Best Answer
0 Votes

looks like this ....laptop treadmill.JPG

Best Answer

it makes me wish I had not given my treadmill away.....what a dumb move......I could make a deal with myself, to only be on the computer if I was walking.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am 60 and write a blog on health and fitness. You can find it at Fitditz.com  Hope to see you there!

FitDitz
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! Today is a new day for me, feels like I've had so many over my lifetime when it comes to trying to get healthy, now that 61 is looking me in the face in a couple of weeks, I'm tired of being tired! I need some encouragement and buddies, I have 50 lbs to loose in order to be at a healthier weight. Never been a big exercise person, but got a new bicycle for Christmas and am determined to ride it. If anyone is so inclined, add me as a buddy :-). Love the food suggestions and info from all of you.

Best Answer

I have the Fitbit premium but am looking at My Fitness Pal for entering foods. Does it make sense to be a premium member if I use My Fitness Pal?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think it will make a difference with the food log. 

FitDitz
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi...I have been a Fitit fan for 2 months. I need help!  I usually meet my step goal, active minutes goal,, and eat the right amount of calories or less daily.  My problem is I rarely burn the right amount of calories.  Most days I do not achieve my goal.  Does anyone know why?

Best Answer

Are you climbing a lot of stairs?  My guess is that you need some intense bursts of activity at different times of the day.  Nothing burns cals like intensity.  Even 30 second intervals will help. 

FitDitz
Best Answer
0 Votes
Good to hear about your success. I am 65 also and I have lost 45 lbs so far. I belong to MVP pluses fitbit wich I love. I always want to be on top with my steps too. I try to do 15000 steps a day. My sons and my sister also have fitbit and I will walk on treadmill after dinner sometimes just to get xtra steps to be ahead of them. It's very motivating! I walk very fast for an hour but am hesitant to run. Do you run daily? I think it's awesome you ran a 7 k. Congrats on all your success.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I had the same problem. I don?t know what caused it, but I solved it by lowering my calories goal. Now I meet that goal about the same time I meet the steps goal.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Smiley Wink Even all my name is Helen, could I join in here please,I had my fitbit for awhile I am about 20lb over, my sugar was up  a couple of years a go and I have working on it  .Had all those good test lady have all was good blood test were good sugar down cholesterol 4.3  but I have to get fit and health  loss some weight Helen

Best Answer

Smiley HappyHello!  I'm Debbie & just got my fit bit One on Valentine's Day.  I turned 60 last November and decided that I want to look and feel my best this decade.  I'm so glad that I found your group.  I notice that the latest comments are on the last page.  Is there someway to reverse that so I do not have to go to the end to catch up?  Thank you!

Best Answer

I figured out how to change from newest post to oldest.  Now, is there a way to save this discussion group so I do not have to search for it?  Thank you for the reminder to cut the carbs & sugar.  I know better and also have lost a lot of weight on the Adkin's diet.  I think moderation is the key.  As long as I tell myself that I can have some sugar or carbs on occasion than I will stick to it.  I have had my most success with losing weight when I concentrate on eating at least 6 servings of fruits and veggies per day.  Since fruit is loaded with sugar, I enjoy my fruit first thing in the morning in a smoothie.

My Breakfast Smoothie

1 cup frozen berries (organic)

1/2 cup plain greek yogurt

1 cup almond milk vanilla

1/2 frozen banana

1 TBS ground flax seed or chia seeds

Blend together & enjoy!  Heart

Best Answer
I'll be turning 61 in a couple of months and really want to be healthier. Need motivation my mind tells me what I want to do but the days get so busy it escapes me 😔 Can't remember how to add a friend? Love that I found this group!
Best Answer
0 Votes