Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get those extra steps in?

I live about four miles from my workplace and although I haven't yet walked all four miles to or from work, there are a few games I play during the week to increase my stepcount.

Some days I'll take the hillier, windier, unnecessarily long route to BART (San Francisco's heavy-rail rapid transit system). Almost always, I forgo the escalator for the stairs. Today, that act alone added 5 flights of stairs and over 250 steps to my morning journey.

My other favorite "cheat" is high stepping in place. Sure, I may look a little odd bouncing up and down while typing at my makeshift standing desk, but it feels good to keep the blood flowing and the legs moving! 

What do you do to get your extra steps in?

Best Answer
1,174 REPLIES 1,174

I work from home so but I've still been able to average 11k steps a day.  I try to walk for about 30 minutes before work and for another 30 minutes during lunch.  I also noticed that when we went to the mall yesterday I walked about 5k steps because we made multiple trips back to the car to put stuff in the trunk instead of carrying the bags around the whole time.  And the bf always parks far away because he doesn't want someone dinging his car when they open the door.  At the end of the night if I'm still short I jog in place while the TV is on or do laps through the kitchen and living room or run up and down the stairs until I've hit all my goals.

Any non walking/jogging activity I do I try to log in manually rather than have the fitbit track it.  It may not show as steps but it will come up as active minutes and calories burned.

Best Answer

Thank you Doug and Allison for the replies.  To the other fitbitters who suggested running in place to get steps.  Also big thank you to all of you suggesting it.    I now do that while watching my favorite tv shows.  At first it drove my husband absolutely crazy but since we watch a lot of shows together and we are both on the Fitbit leaderboards, the fact that I was getting thousands of steps more that he was made him join me in the activity. 

Best Answer

I have a fitbit one and it will record steps on the eliptical because I clip it to my bra and as I step, my body is moving from the waist and it is enough to tell the fitbit that I'm walking.  I think if you are wearing a force on the arm, there wouldn't be enough movement on the eliptical to trigger the step function.

Best Answer

@saxplayermom Your laundry routine is one of the best I've heard yet. It's not something I could pull off due to a lack of space (and also a lack of patience), but I do love the way it turns a household chore into a game.

@RomaS Nice to hear your husband is stepping alongside you. Moving in place always brings an extra bit of joy into the evening--and thousands of steps is an impressive addition to your daily totals. Keep it up!

Best Answer

We have a nice layer of ice on the sidewalks around my apartment complex here in Michigan, so I've been walking back and forth through the living room while watching Netflix. Managed to walk well over 5 miles yesterday, in an area that's large enough for 22 steps in both directions.

Best Answer
Way to go, Greg! I'm also in Michigan and it's not a welcoming sight out the window. I like mall walking. It's warmer. You have farther distances to go. And you can people watch.
Best Answer

Ah, yes...I do like the people watching aspect of mall walking.  Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I go shopping at one of the superstores, I always walk the entire perimeter of the store before starting my shopping.  When I go to a regular grocery store I walk up/down every isle of the store even if I am only there to pick up one or two items.  When I'm on my lunch break at work, as soon as I finish eating I go outside and walk for the remaining duration of my lunch break.  While watching TV, I always get up and speedwalk around the  house during commercial breaks, and sometimes I will do fast side-to-side stepping  during the entire TV show (Fitbit does count side steps as long as I keep the arm that wears my Fitbit down in front of me.  I also do aerobic kickboxing and run on the treadmill.

Best Answer

I have posted this elsewhere, but where I live we had waited 50 years for some development only 800 yards from my Front door. Now we have a Woolworths and Masters, and I do what you do, walk the perimeter, then do all of the aisles. Each store I get 1500 steps plus the carpark steps. They build these huge stores, cheaper than a gym in all weathers, they need to be used.

And North and South of me, less than 8 minutes drive, I have two of the largest malls in the Southern Hemisphere and they are good for 4000 steps each and if I go there 45 minutes before closing time I have free reign of the travelators which give me floors. At that time of night security probably think I'm in a hurry to get to some shops before closing time.

Fitbit has definitely changed the way we plan our days.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Absolutely-- You have my vote. If it's news I'm watching, particularly, I like to walk around the living room and dining room or walk in place; Hula Hooping while watching the TV also gives similar steps as does walking.  If I need flights of steps on my Fitbit One, I'll go up and down our steps to the lower level as many times as I need. Jumping Rope (harder than most people think, at least for me) is quiet and can be done "in place."  If jumping with the rope doesn't work well for you then jump with a "pretend" rope for one to three minutes or whatever works for you. It's a good workout and also gives the "right" steps.

Best Answer

Great points-- Wearing white or reflective clothing at dawn and dusk, carrying a flashlight at night, and being critically aware of cars can't be stressed enough! Drivers really can't see most people at or after dark until the last second. "Be Aware".

Best Answer

Since 2002 I've been using a Stant Up Desk-- both at my office and at home. It's easy enough to create your own-- just find a wooden box 8" - 12" high, either the size of the footprint of your keyboard or laptop and voila! If you need a particular tilt, use your ingenuity to create one. It never occurred to me to walk in place while working at my stand up desk, but I know I get many extra steps anyway: stepping away to answer the phone, moving easily around my office, always ready to go out to the printer, to go see a colleague for a quick face-to-face rather than sending them an email. A few others in my office have moved to the stand up computer station. Even using it for part of the day will make a difference. And as a bonus you'll notice an improvement in posture.

standup desk.JPG

Best Answer

I'm a runner, but when it's cold out I just can't. I purchased an air walker.  It's sturdy, compact, and the resistance is adjustable.  It also comes with resistance bands for upper body work. I costs about $90 on QVC and was definitely money well spent.  Now no excuses rain or shine.

Best Answer

I'm retired and make activity a big part of my day. I walk whenever possible instead of taking the car. I park farther out if I have the car when shopping. Several trips up and down the stairs doing laundry instead of carrying it all at once. I do laps in the house while talking on the phone. Recently bought a rebounder and I like it a lot and actually prefer it over the treadmill. Basically I look for ways to get extra steps.

Best Answer

I walk between seeing patients

Also always walk to the nearest wing in the hospital 

chat a bit and also put in my steps

Like your post Its awesome

Im the furthust from you guys , am a 37 yr old  Heamtologist based in New Delhi

but take lot of inspiration from u guys .

Thanks 

Dr.Gandhi
Best Answer

Thanks for that idea for how to improvise a standing desk. I made one at home about a week ago (I'm only in the office twice a week or less) by placing a plastic play table on the kitchen table (I have to buy another play table so my 3yo can have hers back) but haven't worked out anything for the office yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Instead of sitting down at morning tea to have a coffee break at work I go for a walk outside - it helps clear the brain and makes me more productive. Depending on the length of your lunch break that provides another opportunity.

Here in New Zealand it is common to hang washing outside on a washing line rather than use a dryer and so I step/march as smartly as I can in place hanging the washing on the line (can do 600-800 steps whilst pegging the washing the way, a little less whilst getting it in)

In the evening I like to try and fit in a Leslie Sansone DVD - can be hard with kids and 3 jobs. I get up just after 5am and exercise for an hour before getting ready for the day and getting husband and kids up. If I can I go for a swim (2-3km) 2x a week - I know that does not count for steps but is fantastic exercise.

Best Answer
Read this thread from beginning to end to get some great ideas from those of you who have been at this longer. My goal has been 10,000 steps during this first month of using my fitbit one and I've made it to 12,000+ several times. Reading today about some of you who have aimed for 20,000 was awesome but a little overwhelming too. I want to lose weight on this journey as well as gain endurance. Would love to know about more of your goals if you post in this group and how you are getting there...
Best Answer

Going window shopping at the mall, or browsing at a department store will help get in those extra steps.  But, if it's the evening and I see that I haven't met my goal, I'll put on the TV and just pace around my living room for an hour.  It sounds crazy, but, it's better than laying around on the sofa!

Best Answer

I'm a big fan of dancing, my kids if they walk in at the wrong time get roped in as well.  It's a great workout and so much fun.

For something different last night, I invited a friend over for a walk then coffee since it was such a lovely night. We went for a long walk, then when we got back forgot all about the coffee.  Will definately be doing that again

Best Answer