Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get those extra steps in?

I live about four miles from my workplace and although I haven't yet walked all four miles to or from work, there are a few games I play during the week to increase my stepcount.

Some days I'll take the hillier, windier, unnecessarily long route to BART (San Francisco's heavy-rail rapid transit system). Almost always, I forgo the escalator for the stairs. Today, that act alone added 5 flights of stairs and over 250 steps to my morning journey.

My other favorite "cheat" is high stepping in place. Sure, I may look a little odd bouncing up and down while typing at my makeshift standing desk, but it feels good to keep the blood flowing and the legs moving! 

What do you do to get your extra steps in?

Best Answer
1,174 REPLIES 1,174

I want to do more dancing like that. Do you 'just' put some music on and do your thing, or do you watch one of those dance workout videos? My three year old keeps telling me we need to do more exercise videos. She generally only joins in on and off, but she enjoys doing them with me. 🙂

Best Answer

I scanned the pages and did not see this mentioned (Just posted a new thread also)....

I wanted to share some games for the Android Smartphones that can get you out walking and see if anyone has other games they found as well.

If your going to walk, why not play a game while doing it?

The first big game I played long before I had a smartphone or fitbit is Geocaching. Think of a high tech treasure hunt. There are thousands of these hidden and probably right under your nose and not even know it. You can use your smartphone or a GPS, which is my device of choice.

Geocaching website

Apps for smartphones:

c:geo app (Free)

Geocaching app (Offical app $)

This next game I just tried playing last night for the first time; Ingress.

It's a real world game. The info for the app is vague. Had to do a web search to get the basic idea on what you want to do in the game. Must have worked since I took over an enemy portal in my area.

Best for bigger cities, more portals, but the small town I live in has a few right along my usual walk path.

Ingress app (Free)

The following games I have not tried yet so I can give no personal info about them. When I do try them I hope walking will work for them as I don't run.

Zombie, Run! app (Free) Install on my phone, have not personally tried yet.

Zombies, Run! 5k Training app ($)

Zombies, Run! app ($)

One / Flex 2 / Charge 2
Best Answer

New to this I have never been this out of shape. So these tricks are so helpful. I realize after reading these posts I have just become very lazy. Think i will start slow so I don't burn out and be more studious when parking, getting the mail.... I have a quarter mile drive way just walking to get the mail again should get me going. Then going to start using the gym memberhip I have three days a week.

Best Answer

I'm a turn the radio on and go with it kind of dancer @kaet 

I find a lot of people think kids are the reason they don't exercise but I find that all kids love to move and think its great if mom or dad will join in.  The kids drag me on the trampoline, so I get them up dancing to the radio (sometimes I trick them into cleaning while we are dancing win/win)

Encourange you 3year old @kaet and you will set her up for a life of enjoying exercise

Nat

Best Answer

@6kr great attitude, take it slow making small changes and the big ones will come. 

Remember this is a lifestyle journey NOT a diet so you don't need to rush the journey

Nat

Best Answer

I will remove one item from the dryer at a time and walk or sprint it to the room where it belongs. It gets me moving and the kids laughing and running with me! I have also put the dish in the dining room while making pancakes in the kitchen. I had to walk each complete pancake to the dish in the dining room.

Best Answer

I just got my Fitbit Flex, but have now started walking around the house as I pray my bedtime rosary.  It helps me concentrate on the prayer while also remaining active. 

Best Answer

-Clear the dinner tabel one place setting at a time

-empty dishwasher and put away one item at a time (can do same with the dryer)

-pace while talking on the phone

-use restroom on another floor

-park farther from entrance

-talk a walk during breaks/lunch at work

-Print in a different office

-don't email or call people in the same building, go talk to them.

-flight of stairs do them twice everytime you can

-play follow the leader with your children

-Drink lots of water(extra restroom walks(also you can do wall push ups or squats in RR))

-walk every aisle in every store you go in before shopping

These are few things I try to do to get extra steps in.  People might look at you funny but who cares, the body was designed to move!

Keep stepping !

Leslie
Best Answer

That counts, it is all moving. Robot Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
In Mn it has been a really, really cold winter with subzero weather. Too cold to walk outdoors! So I have been walking/dancing/ badly jogging in our unfinished basement like a hamster on a wheel. I am too far away from the mall and I am too self conscious at my current weight to join a gym. It's not ideal but I am MOVING and that's the important thing. I am looking forward to 30degree weather again to get outdoors again. I have had my Force for just a month and I have made my 10,000 step goal a majority of those days. So get up and walk around your dining room table if nothing else! 😉
Best Answer

I try to take the stairs at work instead of the elevator but I've found myself slacking off.  I need to get back into that routine.  I'm getting an add-on for my desk that will allow me to move my computer screens and keyboard up so I can stand and not have to sit all day, so I'm going to try and do some "high stepping" too, thanks for that advice!

Joyce Rivera
Best Answer
Great attitude, @VH4!! Keep it up.
Best Answer

I didn't think it counted our stepping in place, although I did notice I had it set for my dominant hand nad only wore it there the first day.  However, now that I have some "friends" on my list,  I see the one "ahead" of me and wanted to try to catch up, so I started running around the house real quick here and there.  I figured it's about 250 steps and seems silly (and I'm really NOT very competitive) but it makes me get up and move.  I can do that on a commercial - and my dog LOVES it!

Best Answer

I have a couple of the "Just Dance" videos on the Wii and love them.  I'm not very good at all but as long as I don't focus on that or look in a mirror and keep moving I have a good time with it.

Best Answer
Having a good time is all that matters

--
*Joyce M Rivera*
Joyce Rivera
Best Answer
That's awesome 😉

--
*Joyce M Rivera*
Joyce Rivera
Best Answer

Holding a toddler and dancing to pop songs...  Teaching the kids Dance Dance Revolution on the old PS2...  Running with the older ones when they ride their bikes...  Walking the baby to sleep...  It's true, I can do anything so long as I can combine it with parenting!  🙂

Best Answer

These are some good ideas to increase my step count. I've heard of parking farther back at a grocery store, but I haven't thought about the other ones. Good tips I'll try them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you go out on the weekends go to a bar where there is dancing. Dancing and walking around being social gets those steps in without you even realizing it. It is a fantastic way to increase daily/weekly/monthly steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am only just getting back on the wagon RE step counting.  However, when I was more vigilant about counting my steps, like last year:

park farther from the store, rather than closer.  Even if there is a spot right close to the store, I park farther away so I can walk more.  The only time I don't do that is if it's pouring rain.

take the "longer route" or scenic route to your "final destination", especially at home.  Going to the rest room?  Don't go the shortest route.  I can walk from the couch to the rest room, but I can also go around the couch before I head to the rest room, or head to the further rest room.

This is a good question and it's jogging my mind again.  Thanks for asking it!

Best Answer