Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get those extra steps in?

I live about four miles from my workplace and although I haven't yet walked all four miles to or from work, there are a few games I play during the week to increase my stepcount.

Some days I'll take the hillier, windier, unnecessarily long route to BART (San Francisco's heavy-rail rapid transit system). Almost always, I forgo the escalator for the stairs. Today, that act alone added 5 flights of stairs and over 250 steps to my morning journey.

My other favorite "cheat" is high stepping in place. Sure, I may look a little odd bouncing up and down while typing at my makeshift standing desk, but it feels good to keep the blood flowing and the legs moving! 

What do you do to get your extra steps in?

Best Answer
1,174 REPLIES 1,174

Maybe you can buy a stepper so that even if it's raining outside then you can still get those extra steps in. You are in it to win it!!!Smiley LOL

Best Answer

I think a stepper is a good idea because you use slightly different muscles than just walking. You might also try one of those virtual hikes like Illusion Trails where you walk in place in front of your TV. It seems like having a destination would be more motivational.

John Bomhoffhttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/199138095/illusion-trails-hike-through-a-fantastic-world
Best Answer

I have found stretching your feet, pointing and  rotating the ankle helps before walking

Best Answer

There is a risk to walking every aisle: attractive packaging, etc., can cause impulse buying, usually of less than healthy items. If you stick to a list or have good impulse control, this may not be a problem, however. I would recommend just going around the store hugging the outer wall, since that is where all the best food is.

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

-Winston Churchill
Best Answer

I try to do that every time I go grocery shopping - not so tempted to buy the wrong things.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great idea.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is nice to have a break at work but I choose to walk around the building /job site that I work on. At the house ,I love to get a steady walking or jogging pace going and you can really see the steps add up over am hour or so . Personally I trade tv time or lazy time for walking time ,which is much better for your body

Best Answer

If the weather is bad or you just don't feel like going out anywhere, try Walk it Out for the Wii.  It's a real fun way to get those extra steps in!  Check it out!  You walk out to a beat!

Best Answer

Another good suggestion  - just get moving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Now that the weather is getting warmer I am starting to ride my bike when I just need to go somewhere around town for a small errand or to watch my teenage son play in a match.  I live in a smaller city (90K) so it's not a problem to ride even all the way across town.  I don't get a any steps for cycling, however it is a very good boost to my heart rate and metabolism.  Then I try to walk around a lot while I'm watching rather than just standing in place.  I'm the only soccer/tennis mom who shows up on a bike and it makes me feel like the cool mom.  😉

Best Answer

Good for you.   Great way to exercise.  My daughter used to walk around the field when her daughter played sports.

Best Answer

Whenever I get home, I just walk around my living room while my favorite show is playing.

Best Answer

During the last snow storm I walked the perimeter of the house for 3 hrs non stop. Often in evening if I cannot go outside I will walk around the basement which has no furniture blocking.  Keep and older tv down there for noise while walking.

Best Answer

Whenever I take a call at home, I stand up and pace. Helps me think, and those pacing steps add up on a long call.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@WavyDavey

I do that too! Sometimes the call is so long I get an auto detected walk in.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

The thought of managing an hour on a treadmill made me smile - I wish!  At the end of the day, when I am reminded to do 250 steps, I hobble round the dining table, hanging onto the chairs for balance.  Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't, but every little bit counts.

Retired disabled, Charge5, Android, Win 10
Best Answer

That's a cool idea! (walking around the living room waiting on or watching a TV show). We are so conditioned to sitting on the couch and watching TV.  it's like we have to. Good idea!

John Bomhoffhttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/199138095/illusion-trails-hike-through-a-fantastic-world
Best Answer
0 Votes

If I am watching a programme with advertisements, I get up and exercise during the ads, or do some balances on my fit ball while the programme is on, which is good for my core muscles

Retired disabled, Charge5, Android, Win 10
Best Answer

Ive changed my active minutes from 10 to 2. I know I do a lot of walking as I work in a school and Im never meeting the goal unless I go out a 1.5 mile walk after work. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used to use a game called Walk It Out, but I got tired of walking the same world over and over. So, I created a prototype app-based hiking simulator that works off the phone. I think it's kind of fun and motivational, but I'm getting tired of the same world again so, I'm going on Kickstarter to see if I can raise funds to improve the app and make a lot of additional worlds. I call it Illusion Trails. When the world is new it motivates me to find out whats down the path.

Best Answer
0 Votes