Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get those extra steps in?

I live about four miles from my workplace and although I haven't yet walked all four miles to or from work, there are a few games I play during the week to increase my stepcount.

Some days I'll take the hillier, windier, unnecessarily long route to BART (San Francisco's heavy-rail rapid transit system). Almost always, I forgo the escalator for the stairs. Today, that act alone added 5 flights of stairs and over 250 steps to my morning journey.

My other favorite "cheat" is high stepping in place. Sure, I may look a little odd bouncing up and down while typing at my makeshift standing desk, but it feels good to keep the blood flowing and the legs moving! 

What do you do to get your extra steps in?

Best Answer
1,174 REPLIES 1,174

I get told off when I walk around the living room because it is distracting and annoying lol

so what I do instead is go to the corner and just jog on the spot or pop into the kitchen/conservatory and watch stuff on the iPad 

that 1 hour of tv whilst sat on the couch you could have done around 8-9k steps, makes all the difference

Best Answer

If you are not opposed to walking or jogging in place you can try virtual worlds. There are passive videos and phone apps like Illusion Trails that also let you select your paths.

John Bomhoffhttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/199138095/illusion-trails-hike-through-a-fantastic-world
Best Answer

I was so happy to see all these replies to comfort me that I didn't look like a lunatic being in constant motion to get steps up!  I've been keeping a daily step count record since October 2013 but only have had the Surge since Christmas, and I love it.  Especially when I am at work in the city in which I live, I never stand still anymore waiting for the lights to cross the road, I pace back and forth until it changes to green. I've even noted how long the cycle is so I know just how far away I can walk before heading back.

Best Answer

Illusion trails:  Is there anything like this available yet?  It looks great.

Retired disabled, Charge5, Android, Win 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

I go downstairs to use the bathroom at work. I only get a small glass of water at a time so I have to get up and refill it. If I have multiple policies to hole punch, I only take one at a time, also helps make sure I don't get anything mixed up. Use the printer on the other side of the floor. Also, I live across from Wal-Mart so sometimes I will just go over to buy stuff we need periodically during the week instead of waiting till the weekend. Or if I'm bored because my husband already went to bed just go to window shop. It gets me walking and is safer than walking around outside at night.

Best Answer
Just put any type of music with a beat and just dance
Best Answer

I have started moving while doing things that I would normally stay stationary for, if I can. Like instead of just standing in the bathroom to brush my teeth. I pace back and forth around my bedroom while I do it. I'm also trying to take a walk at lunch and a walk after work, weather permitting. I don't want to spend the rest of the day at work a wet mess! I would die in the air conditioning! 

Best Answer

I walk while folding laundry, one at a time, stack it, get back for another one. At work, I take longer route to ladies room, by going up a stair, walking across, coming down the stairs, use washroom, go up the stairs, walk across and down again. 

Best Answer

@sdahalkar

I do the same when doing laundry 😄 .

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Yeah, when doing laundry I go up and down the stairs because the laundry is upstairs 

Best Answer

Well what's been working for me.  Having the FitBit Blaze has definitely helped me stay active and on my workout more.  That being said.  Started creating the weekly/weekend challenges with co-workers/friends.

*Creating Challenges

*Parking a little ways to get my steps in (whether its at work/grocery store etc.)

*Taking the Stairs - No Elevators

*Avoid sitting for a period of time

*Take a walk - (during lunch time)

*Around the house - walk around (whether your brushing your teeth or just even watching some TV)avoid sitting for a period of time.

Just the little things that helps me get my steps in.  I currently have it to where I have 10k steps daily.  That's my goal each day.

Feel free to add me 😃

Best Answer

thanks for information...I didn't know jog at the same place helps...thanks

Best Answer
Hello SOS - I have the hardest time charging my fitbit flex one. Of course, i wipe the minute gold-coloured prongs with alcohol then dry them carefully. Then i insert a paperclip into the tiny charging hole in hopes to ‘reboot’ it. Then if it does start charging, it easily slips out; almost necessitating that i hold it together for 3 hours!
And now, since the past few weeks, the charge is holding for only 3 - 4 days instead of the previous 6-8 days.

Can someone please help with suggestions….

Thank-you, ShirleyC
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sorry you're having a charging problem.  Call Fitbit customer service and tell them the problem you are having. I have had problems in the past and they are very good about replacing what isn't working if they can't fix it over the phone they usually send a replacement. I have the Surge and it is a little loose also. I actually wedge it in between 2 books to hold it in place sometimes. My Surge only holds a charge for a couple of days also. I fixed this by charging when I'm in the shower. Every time I take a shower I take the Surge off and charge it. This has worked beautifully. 

Michele from Belleview, Florida
Best Answer

I walk every chance I get.

I work in the field so I am always walking.

When I get home I put on music and dance for 30 minutes.

I step in place.

When commericals come on the tv, I get off the couch and move my body.

I do squats and pump my arms all the time.

The point is to not kill yourself but make it fun.

Pam O.

Best Answer

Way to go.  Keep up the good work.

Best Answer
0 Votes
THanks for your encouragement.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I skip (jump rope) without a rope. Great for getting heart rate up and increasing step count. I often do it while cooking, or any spare 5 minutes throughout the day. As yet 100 skips at a time is enough but I am going to try to increase this.

Best Answer

I skip (jump rope) without a rope. Great for getting heart rate up and increasing step count. I often do it while cooking, or any spare 5 minutes throughout the day. As yet 100 skips at a time is enough but I am going to try to increase this.

Best Answer

@juaniflut, I've been thinking about adding jump rope to my routine.  Does your fitbit count the steps when you jump rope?  Or is it an activity you have to log separately?

Best Answer
0 Votes