Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many steps do you average at work?

Interested in hearing the number of steps (a rough average) that people get at work. Post what you do, how many hours your work day is, and the number of steps you usually get.

I work in marketing for a ski resort, so the summers are slow with a lot of time at the desk, and the winters are busier. Work day is 8 hours + lunch, averaging about 5K - 6K steps now.

Best Answer
0 Votes
53 REPLIES 53

I do about the same as you with my desk job.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

My work hours is 7.5 + Lunch. Mine is desk job too. But every hour I make sure to walk around to get my 250 steps. During lunch time, I go for at least 30 to 40 mins of walk or run. If I go for a walk, by end of 7.5 hours, I would be around 8k . If I run, I would have finished my step goal by that time. So average 8k - 9k.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a teacher. I generally get about 8000 steps on a typical day, but I've gotten as much as 15,000 on a busy day.

Best Answer

I have an office job, but work in a manufacturing plant.  Some days I can be tied to my desk with calls and/or meetings.  Other days I can run around the plant like crazy.  I can usually get up to move a little more, but not always.  I average 5000-10000 most days.  I know that's a weird range, but such is life.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

I average about 7-8K, sometimes less. I work in a school, but have a mostly desk job. I have to make sure to get up and walk. I try to take 10 minute breaks every now and then, as I can get about 1K steps during that time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I work in a public library.  Most days, I would say I get right around 9000 steps at work including my lunch break. I do have a couple days a month when I get stuck in meetings or have a whole bunch of desk work that keeps me tied down, on those days it's more like 5000 steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I work a desk job, but I walk to other peoples cubes instead of emailing or messaging. I also power walk or run 3 miles at lunch. Most days I get my 10,000 before I go home. Then I do another mile and a half in the evening.

I've been averaging 15, 000 to 20,000 steps a day.

Best Answer

When I Worked I would always got to work early and do a 4 mile mile 10K right there

I got up and walked  around my Warehouse every hour for 250-300 steps

Retired now and still doing the same

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I'm a transcriptionist in a nonprofit organization, typing letters and memos for a very busy CEO. I try to get 5,000 steps before I get to work with a combination of exercise and my commute (I use public transit). By the end of the day, I have maybe 8,000 or so if I didn't go out to lunch and over 9,000 if I did. If I'm really good, I can get to my 10,000 goal before I leave work. Then I get at least another 1,000 or so on the way home or any evening activities.

I make a point of getting up and walking every hour, and I take the long way back from the restroom when I use it. Going out to buy lunch gets me maybe 1,000 steps, but bringing my lunch saves me money and probably calories, so it's a wash, I guess.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I to have a desk job.  I make sure that i walk at least a mile on break in the morning and again in the afternoon. At the moment today I have nearly 7000 steps in. Soon will take my afternoon walk -- so will have well over 10000 before going home. I usually run after work as well. I tend to take the "long way around"  to the breakroom to keep adding to those steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an office job so I average about 5k while at work.  But for the day I average close to 20k.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've only had my fitbit for afew days.

I have an office job that involves being at my desk for most of my 8.5 hour shift so I'm usually on around 2k steps by home time. However I've already doubled that since having my fitbit. Im determined to get healthy. 🙂

Best Answer

I work an office job 40 hours a week.

If I just do my average day without anything extra I probably get about 4k-5k. If I go on walks on my breaks, usually about 7k.

If I walk during my lunch as well I'll probably be close to 10k.

I usually go to the gym at the end of the day. And somedays I work at Starbucks also (only 12 hours a week) but I only average 4k steps during a shift. 

Best Answer

I work in an office. (7.5 hrs + 30 min lunch) I try to get up every hour during that time for my 250 steps, which is set for 9 hours of the day. Can usually hit 7-9 of those hours. If I go for a good walk around town on my lunch I can hit my 8,000 step goal. (It helps I get the bus to work so have to walk to and from bus stops.) Some days it's between 5,000-6,000 if I don't go out on my lunch.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a desk job answering phones in a locked office (we have things like credit card info and etc. to protect.) So I can't really go walk around every hour. I'm there 8 hours a day (30min. lunch) and get about 1.5k to 2k steps at work. Then I do another 10k at home or doing errands. So work steps suck, but I try to do a few thousand steps before work, & the rest after I'm off.
Best Answer

I build countertops and typically hit 10,000 stepson an eight hour day with 30 minutes of lunch which I don't always take sitting down.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am currently a university lecturer (although I will be stopping, soon). I often spend a lot of the day sitting at my desk. I am normally at the university 8:30-4:30, though it varies. However, I walk to the train station in the morning (about 2,000), and since I got my Fitbit, I no longer get the bus from there to work (about 2,500). With a bit of to-ing and fro-ing, this week I have got home already at my 10k, so I have had no trouble hitting my target, and going well above it. I think I might have to set myself a higher target.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a kindergarten teacher.   During the average school day, I get about 9000 steps by the time school ends. I've gotten as many as 15,000 but as few as 5000 (on a day where I have to sit through long dull meetings).

I usually get other exercise during the school day, some of which gets included with those steps, because I get up and move with my kids when they need a "brain break". 

Donna 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I shoot for 7500 steps in a work day. Then I get off work and walk to the community gym which is another 5000 steps both ways. On the treadmill I usually rack up a few thousand more averaging just over 16000 for an entire day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes