Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many steps do you average at work?

Interested in hearing the number of steps (a rough average) that people get at work. Post what you do, how many hours your work day is, and the number of steps you usually get.

I work in marketing for a ski resort, so the summers are slow with a lot of time at the desk, and the winters are busier. Work day is 8 hours + lunch, averaging about 5K - 6K steps now.

Best Answer
0 Votes
53 REPLIES 53

i work in retail and my average day is about 5 hours and i walk around 15,000 steps on an average day at work

Best Answer

I work a desk job, however I try to aim for 5K-6K at least before I leave at 4:30 PM.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Because I have a desk job, I Only hit 4,000Steps at work. Not may excuses to get up and walk in a cube.

My old Job I use to hit 13,000steps before the day was done.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I work in semiconductor manufacturing. We work 12 hr shifts. In my area, we average 10-12 miles/ day, some as much as 16. My fit bit used to love me.... 25k steps a day.  X_x  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a 12hr night shift Nurse in a hospital and average 13k-15k. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a desk job but walk my dog before work and walk on my lunch hour too, as well as finding every possible opportunity to get up and move around throughout the day. Currently on almost 17k.

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

If I don't make a conscious effort my work day could be as low as 2K.  There is no "inherent" steps in my work anymore.  Boooo.  I have to force the steps, march in place,etc. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a shift manager for the front end of the Food Lion in my area. I average roughly 13K a day in steps, when I work.  My days off I fall REALLY flat on steps average around 1500-2000. Currently working on upping my steps on my days off though.

Best Answer

i work in a warehouse and on a slow day we average 10k steps a day and on a busy day up to 20k. i try to average around 40 to 50k steps but i get the rest after hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm an assistant language teacher but am rarely scheduled for classes at middle school, so on those days I'm lucky to get 2k (it's frowned upon to be walking around). Even when I do have classes, I'm expected to stand at the front of the room - the kids eat and 'play' inside at break, so there's no wandering around supervising them either. At days where I work at primary schools I usually get 5k since I'm scheduled on for more class (2 vs 4-6). The nearest gym would be an hours walk away, so most of my steps come from the treadmill or walk/runs in the evening, where I try to make 10k.

Best Answer
0 Votes

25k a day, on average. I work usually 6 hours a day. I’m a D2D Sales Rep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Office/desk job from 0730-1630, Monday-Friday.

If I don't go to the gym and if I don't make any effort, I only get about 3,000-4,000 steps at work.

I take walking breaks outside every two hours and aim to get 1,000 steps during those breaks.  I also take the long way to get anywhere.  Park farthest away from the building, make multiple trips when I need to get up and get things, print all my documents to the printer farthest from me, volunteer to take out the garbage, etc.

My goal is leave work with at least 7,000 steps.  

If I can go to the gym in the morning, like yesterday, then I can leave work with around 10,000 steps for the day because I had around 3,500 steps before I even got to work.  But today, for example,  I didn't go to the gym and I only had 2,300 steps by the time I got to the office.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I work in food retail management. 9 hours per day. Average between 18,000-20,000 a day. Needless to say I have very sore feet and legs at the end of the day 😂

Best Answer

When I was working, doing full time shifts, I’d say 4000 max and that would depend on whether we walked into town for dinner or used the canteen

but it was an insurance cal centre, so we were sat down most of the time...

unlike when I worked in a kitchen, sales or engineer on the road all day

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im a chef - I just got a fitbit as a present from my sister, I worked a long day yesterday, 07 to 21 and I logged 24.83 km and 31677 steps.

@benjaminsweet wrote:

Interested in hearing the number of steps (a rough average) that people get at work. Post what you do, how many hours your work day is, and the number of steps you usually get.

I work in marketing for a ski resort, so the summers are slow with a lot of time at the desk, and the winters are busier. Work day is 8 hours + lunch, averaging about 5K - 6K steps now.

Best Answer

I'm a bartender so I can get anywhere from 10K-12K steps at work and I get the rest at home on my treadmill or when I go for a long run/walk. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a teacher and for the last 3 weeks (first 3 weeks of school) I have been averaging 16k - 19k a day without going to the gym.

Best Answer

I am averaging 6K - 7K steps per day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I work at retail and hence in college for days I only do off hours ops work whis is pretty physical. So in my 4-hr shift it' s typically between 7-8k steps including squats around 50-60 and lifting and carrying moderate weights during that time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a little late to this, but working in a bakery I get in about 15k-17k for an 8 hour day. I only sit down on my break and even then I've been getting up and walking. After work, I go home and walk my dog and do yard work so that's a few more.

Best Answer
0 Votes