Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas needed!

idea.jpgHey there!

Recently I started to be more active and I would love to have my mom being more active as well, last night I convinced her to go for a walk with me for 20 minutes! although it was not much for me, for her was a lot but as we walked she was telling me that she doesn't feel motivated to move more.  I tried explaining her that it will help her to be healthier but she already knows that, so I'm needing more ideas to convince her into walking/exercising more. 

What can I say to motivate her, besides improving her health? 

Do you have any other ideas?  

All comments are highly appreciated! 😄

Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

Hi @GisselleM - I think you'll find this link quite interesting:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5330082_motivate-elderly.html

I have long lost my mother. But when she was still with us, I struggled with the same thing.

As you get older, the joints start to hurt, you lose your enthusiasm, not only about fitness but about so many other things that once upon a time were such delights.

What worked best for me was to help her surround herself with people who did more than her. It took me a few weeks to get there, but that really did the trick. Not only did she become more fit and healthier, but the social dynamo kicked in. By the time summer was over and the antumn leaves started to fall, she was involved with in cooking classes with them, swimming, card games, hour-long walks daily... The change over a six month period was unbelievable. Unfortunately, she passed away a few years later; but I know that those last two years were a lot more enjoyable for her than they would have been otherwise. She had fun, she had friends, she had a life ...

My take. GL!

TW

Best Answer

Hello @GisselleM, I used to work with senoirs and I found that finding something that they enjoy doing and incorperating some sort of physical exercise into that. Now it may not be walking at first but I know for myself and the senoirs it was all about movement and getting them moving. It doesnt just stimulate the body but the brain as well. I admire that you care so much about your mother. I hope this has helped. Happy stepping! Woman Happy

Best Answer

Something social  that combines exercise -  like a yoga class for seniors.  Yoga studios usually have special classes for senior at discount rates.  

Best Answer

I was thinking that you can challenge her and bet a dinner on her favorite restaurant. The one with more steps at the end of the week pays for it. You might want to give her advantage. Hope that does the trick. Smiley Wink

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer

I think its great you want want you MOM more involved..

But if she does not want it than its not going to happen. Don't  push her. it will only back lash in the end

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thank you all for your input! 😄

@TandemWalker The link is very interesting for sure will try a couple of things on it, I admire how much you interest and hardwork you put into helping your Mom enjoy her last years, I'm sure she was very grateful with you, plus it must be a big satisfaction to you to had helped her so much, thank you for sharing your story with all of us, more than helping me to motivate my mom you're motivating me 🙂

@SunsetRunner  I agree with you, I'll see into making her move more 🙂 I think that @Fido 's suggestion might be a good option as well, Yoga will be new to her so it might motivate her more to try something different from walking.

@EdsonFitbit sounds good to me! challenging her for a dinner also makes it more interesting to walk 😄

@WendyB I'll keep it in mind, not to push her 😄 thank you!

So just an update, last night we went out for a walk again and this time we even walked 10 minutes more :D, I think she is starting to liking it, plus we get to talk more! 

Best Answer
As hug a tree as this might sound, your last sentence Gisselle in your update is what I was going to say. Tell her you need her undivided attention and the walk helps you process and think. Ask her advise, opinion, or to share a story- anything that keeps it about your relationship. Not only will she move- you are building a memory bank that will be priceless to you. I cheer you and wish you the best...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Hi @GisselleM - Thank you for your kind words. It is because of posts like yours that I hang out here. You just made my day, I mean it. Thank you!

TW

Best Answer

What games does like to playike board games or other? After every move would need to get up and walk around for like 1 minute or 90 seconds of  walking. As silly and weird as it may sound it might help her have motivation.

Best Answer

Hi everyone! 

Thank you so much for your kind comments and useful ideas! 🙂 

So far everything is going pretty good, @emili in fact we're talking more and now she even asks me to go for a walk which I find it awesome because it means that she is also enjoying our walks! 

@Paradise555 When it comes to games, you won't believe this but she loves Nintendo 64 and the Wii, I know it sounds unusual but trust me she loves playing videogames with my 16-year old brother, I don't like to encourage that because they will stay playing for hours before they want to move, but board games we haven't really played, I'll see if she likes any of mine. 🙂

Best Answer

@GisselleM, I think the key is to find a motivation to get more active, every person has different motivations but there has to be something she likes that would motivate her as well. Monthly or weekly challenges would be a good idea. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

@DavideFitbit I completely agree with you, and so far I guess that she is liking the fact of spending some time with her oldest daughter 🙂  for sure will give it a try to weekly challenges. 🙂

Thanks for your input! 🙂

Best Answer

Absolutely @GisselleM, that is already a motivation for a parent! 

Best Answer

Great post @GisselleM!  Smiley Very Happy

I've been going through the same thing with my mom.  She is in her late 60s and has always been in good health, but lately has been dealing with high blood pressure and some heart-related issues.  In fact, this is partly what motivated me to change my own diet and get more active.  

For months I'd been trying to get my mom to eat healthier foods and exercise, and she kept saying "you really have to WANT it before you can do it successfully".  I've heard a lot of people say similar things, but I disagree completely with this!  I quit smoking because, during a nasty bout of pneumonia, my doctor literally said, "Your choice is simple: quit or die."  After 25+ years of smoking, and numerous quit attempts, that finally got through to me.  I just celebrated five years smoke-free!  I didn't "want" it, but it changed my life, and now I can't imagine having done otherwise!  You do what you have to do, and that is that.

Anyway... (sorry, I do go off on tangents, lol).  Where words seemed to be failing me, my actions may finally be winning through.  Simply, she is seeing my own progress (as of yesterday, I've lost 25 lbs. and 12 inches overall since August, yay!) and seems to be encouraged by it.  I just spent a week on vacation with my family, and mom got to see me eating well, keeping fit, (and still enjoying myself!)  Yesterday she told me she's thinking of getting a fitbit, and I am rejoicing!  Even little changes can make a big impact.

I think that getting in mother-daughter time during your walks is incredibly valuable to both of you!  If your mom likes to use the Wii, maybe the two of you could do some fitness dvds together?  I like to change up my own routine with yoga, hula, zumba, and bellydancing dvds - lots of fun!  🙂  

Wishing you and your mom many happy and healthy adventures!  You're leading by example, and that is a great thing!  🙂

Cheers!

If you want your life to be a magnificent story, then begin by realizing that you are the author, and everyday you have the opportunity to write a new page. - Mark Houlahan
Best Answer

Wow, awesome recommendations and tips @Awen! it's and honest and great contribution.

Best Answer

Heeey there! @Awen Wow & Congratulations!  It seems that you're determined to achieve your goals!

I sure appreciate your comment and agree with you 100% .  I think that sometimes we're just in our confort zone and we don't like listening to what other's say is best for us, in my case I don't like people choosing for me and my mom is the same so giving her advice about being more active was difficult before because she was not used to, but now is different. 🙂

It is so true that even little changes can make a big impact, I have seen it and lived it now. I can imagine how hard was it for you to stop smoking but it was just a great decision to make and changing your lifestyle to a helthier one and losing 25 lbs in 2 months, Wow is just Wonderful!  Bravo! 

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll see into getting some DVD's I'm sure we'll have a great time following them 😄

btw, here is another group you may be interested in, you're welcome to join us! 

Best Answer

@GisselleM - thanks, looks like a fun group! I'm in!  Smiley Very Happy

If you want your life to be a magnificent story, then begin by realizing that you are the author, and everyday you have the opportunity to write a new page. - Mark Houlahan
Best Answer

Awesome, that definitely looks like a fun group, I'll be joining up for the challenge as well. Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Count on me! Robot Very Happy

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer