Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth it to buy a treadmill, or will it become an expensive clothes hanger?

ANSWERED

I go to the gym and I use their treadmill, but I think to myself that I would use it more frequently if it was sitting in my living room.  I could walk/run while watching TV, listening to my tunes, whatever.  But I also see friends who use theirs as lawn art, a place to hang clothes, or inevitably, on Craigslist.  What do you think?

Best Answer
0 Votes
61 REPLIES 61

If you get the treadmill, get the TV too.  Just staring at a wall or even window is mightily boring.

I too prefer going outdoors, but there are some workouts that treadmills are better for.  Not to mention that not everybody prefers going out in the heat/snow/etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

We have 2 treadmills. My DH uses his and I have mine. He uses his daily and has had it for 8 years. We got that one used from my DD. I won mine from an on-line contest. Could hardly believe I had won it. I use mine to get my extra steps. I usually go to the gym but this week we're looking at -50 wind chill so there is no way I'll be going to the gym but will be on my treadmill.

Best Answer
0 Votes

We had sub-zero windchills yesterday and I got trapped inside - missed my 10,000 step goal.  Made me think about getting a treadmill after all 😕

*** fitbit one ~ 45 lbs. to go ***
@River61_NYC on Twitter
Best Answer
0 Votes
Love my treadmill, especially on days like we've had recently when it's below 0! I record plenty of shoes to my dvr to keep me entertained.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I adore the treadmill because as much as I love walking my dog, there's only so much to see in my neighborhood/down the state road outside of my neighborhood. With the treadmill I can keep active while I study my textbooks or watch tv. It's nice not having to choose between exercise and other activities like I have to if I walk outdoors only. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's more interesting to walk outside but I use DVD' s like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Scenic-Trex-Beachside-Jungle-DVD/dp/B001GMYFAC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=13895615... which make it feel as though I'm walking on a jungle trail rather than the treadmill.

fitbit flex user
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance....." from "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack
Best Answer
0 Votes

you can also get ifit programmes that take you on journeys and change the speed and incline of your (compatible) treadmill. But I dont have one so I watch Top gear or anything like that or listen to very loud 80's music.... 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would say the single most important thing is how the running surface feels for you. These things last a decade or more. If you do use it then you're going to spend a lot of time on it and the one thing you will notice most is how it feels. Ignore the console until you find one with a surface you like. Depending upon the individual you may be stretching your budget just to get a surface you like. If so then those bells and whistles aren't nearly as important. If still have room in your budget then consider what more you would like. Just don't get caught up in thinking the motivation some android tablet could provide is what's really important.

Best Answer
0 Votes

very true, running surface and comfort more important than gimmicks. I have noticed that I cannot run as fast or as far on my home treadmill compared to the one in the gym? anyone else noticed discrepancies in speed? there is quite a difference!

Best Answer
0 Votes

When we first bought our treadmill, I barely used it.  But I'm using it daily now.

It's fantastic for the MANY days that the temps are over 100 degrees here.  It allows me to be active when I'd generally be sitting watching TV.  It allows me to multi-task - - I can guarentee that I've read at least 20 more books than I would have without a treadmill.  I've learned to love walking 3.4 mph with a good book on the Kindle and some great music coming through my stereo system or my headset.

BUY ONE

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having incline on a treadmill is a great way to get in intervals or more intense walks, especially if running isn't an option for you.  And your neighborhood is flat.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer
0 Votes

From what I've observed treadmills are good if you maybe live in an area with really extreme weather-too hot or below freezing for months at a time, or maybe a rough neighborhood where safety might be an issue, or some other reason why you can't get outside for exercise.

Then I suppose a treadmill might be a good idea. I personally wouldn't get one because I'd rather be outside taking in different landscapes. But yeah for somebody motivated to use one, you could pop a movie in the idiot box and have a good workout.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love mine, that said i still prefer to go outside and run or power walk but when it rains or is icy it comes in handy...and i always end the night with a fast 20 minute run on the treadmill.....

I don't stop when I am tired, I stop when i am done.....
Best Answer
0 Votes

were not all blessed with nice climates.... some places rain all the time and at the moment its dark and cold too. Times like these I like my garage with TV, HiFi and treadmill - oh yeah! and for what its worth, I find it harder on the treadmill than outdoors for some reason!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had one for 5 plus years. We don't use it....I still go to the gym to use their treadmills. A big part of the reason is that I get too distracted at home (4 kids, laundry, chores). Plus, I don't love my basement. Lastly, if I do use it at home, I have to crank the volume on the tv very high to hear it over the treadmill.  The fitbit is making me reconsider using it when I can't get to the gym or outside....but just though I'd throw that issue on the table.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know what you mean about the TV volume. I have it hooked up to a small Hifi so I can have it as loud as I like (neighbour permitting)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't have these but they sell wireless headsets to listen to tv.  I do find the treadmill a lot more relaxing when I can't hear the stupid motor and foot slaps so well.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oops, forgot the link.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647514/top5-best-wireless-headphones-for-the-tv-buying-guide

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Best Answer
0 Votes

Funny, ours was mostly a great place to hang clothes.

We got one several years ago -- the whole family used it for the first month. After that I used it maybe once a week or twice a week, until it broke. We had bought the extended warranty, so they replaced the roller thing, and we all used it again for a little while. Then it sat there, and got used if it was really ugly outside, but it took up a lot of space (even though it folded against a wall, the legs stuck out, so it still took up almost as much room as it would have unfolded -- it was just a little less visible!). The roller wore out again after about 2 years, even though it had not been used all that much. So we gave it to a friend who wanted one. I think it still sits at her house, waiting to be fixed. I hace to admit I loved the convenience, and the ability to just hop on it and use it. What was lacking was my own motivation. And I like to be around other people when I walk -- time goes faster, and it is more fun!  It just felt boring and lonely to walk on it alone. I dont like TV, and foudn it difficult to read and walk on it...  Now, if we had had two and could walk together, like I do sometimes at the gym with a friend, that might change my mind.. hmmm.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you think you will use it, buy one.   And, like many others said Craigslist and similar sites are full of 'low milage' models for sale.   

I've never bothered buying one. I'd rather go to the gym.  But a few of my friends have bought treadmills and used them at home.  One issue people haven't talked about is maintenence.  Some treadmills seem to be quite high maintenence and need regular adjustments/mainenence -- which is not surprising given the moving parts, motors, sensors, etc.  Most home treadmills don't get used enough for this to be an issue.  So, if you do buy one, and use it a lot, this might be an issuee. 

Best Answer
0 Votes