Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Raing Outside, What Should I Do?

ANSWERED

A quick question. I was rained off this morning from doing my morning walk, as a result the steps and calorie burn was non existent. I decided, therefore, to do some exercise inside, went to he stairs and went up, down; up, down on the first step for about 10 minutes; at least it moved my count upwards. This is something I think I'll do on a regular bases, say for 20 minutes 3/4 times a day,

How should I consider this in Fitbit, purely as steps or as some sort of exercise. 

Any other ideas for inside exercises on wet days?

Kevin

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@kah22 wrote:

Secondly, how would you categorise the exercise I described

The answer to that question is: it doesn’t really matter, as it won’t affect your daily stats (calories, steps, floors etc.) in any significant way, unless you decide to manually enter calories (which could affect things like active minutes). You can choose to log it or not. And if you log it, to categorise the way you see fit (workout, circuit etc.).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
22 REPLIES 22

I do walk/run in place sometimes. I walk around my kitchen island. Few times up and down the stairs. When I am @ work there is a mall across the street. During rainy days, I go there and walk around. 

My charge 2 automatically detects if I am active for more than 10 mins or so. So my fitbit logs in either as run or walk depending upon my intensity or pace. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tend to get wet~

I bought a used stationary bike at a garage sale for $20 and use that when it's extremely cold outside.

My local college opens up the indoor track to the community 3x's a day during the week (Oct-Apr) if there isn't an activity planned, so I will go for a run there but see tons of people walking.  Any malls in your area?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I'd just call it 'workout' but whatever tickles your fancy.

For a similar indoor type exercise, I used to do a step aerobics class at work, which was an excellent indoor workout. It takes a single step and a bit of instruction but I bet that's readily available on youtube. It's similar to going up and down a step but with an amazing amount of variety available with different turns, cross-steps, etc to avoid the boredom and add a bit of agility challenge. This is the first I've thought of that for a few years - I might give that a go myself.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just grab an umbrella and go. Unless its pouring down and wind is blowing it in my face. I rather like walking in the rain.

But when its bad I do step aerobics or Leslie Sansone walk at home. Check Youtube

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

If you don't have access to a treadmill, there are tons of walking videos out there that you can do in front of your computer. They vary the steps up a bit, so you aren't just walking in place, and I get a pretty good calorie burn doing that.

Best Answer

Waterproof jacket with a hood, quick dry pants (there is some amazing gear that looks like office clothes). Living in the Pacific Northwest, you learn to walk, run, and play in the rain. It's not too bad once you get use to it and if you have the right gear. On the rare days it's just too miserable out, an indoor circuit can be made with house hold items, a bit of space and some stairs. A jug of dishwashing soap (think Costco) can be as good as kettle bells, water bottles make hand weighs for lifting while walking/jogging in place. Be creative and have fun. Woman Happy

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

Excuses can become habits.   Can't go out today, it is raining. The next day can't go out because it is too chilly. And, the next day I'm too busy.  Can't see treadmill, its too boring, and can't use the stationary bike because it doesn't give me steps.

Best Answer

This is the weather forecast for today where I am:

weatherforecast.png

I’m not going to let it affect my normal daily routine (especially since it’s a weekend), which includes two hours of walking. Like @MarciM said, if you have proper gear, you should be good to go. We’re not made of sugar: even if we do get wet, hot shower, dry with towel, job done.

What do dog owners do? Do they say: I can’t take doggie out today cos it’s raining all day?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

Props to @kah22 for finding some exercise to do indoors. I don't see the value in piling criticism on him for not walking outdoors in the rain if it doesn't suit his situation.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Thank you JohnnyRow. I looked back on the original question and it really was really asking two questions: what can you do in your home, exercise wise, when you can't go out. Secondly, how would you categorise the exercise I described

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kah22 wrote:

Secondly, how would you categorise the exercise I described

The answer to that question is: it doesn’t really matter, as it won’t affect your daily stats (calories, steps, floors etc.) in any significant way, unless you decide to manually enter calories (which could affect things like active minutes). You can choose to log it or not. And if you log it, to categorise the way you see fit (workout, circuit etc.).

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just walk up and down your hallway or if you have a basement then walk around your basement a few times 🙂 

Best Answer

Just walk up and down your hallway or if you have a basement then walk around your basement a few times 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used to have the same issue and this what I did:  moved to California.  

I acknowledge that's a somewhat extreme remedy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have just started doing Fitstar workouts. They are great! You can do them in your home, not much room needed and no special equipment! 

I do agree you can go out in a lot of rough weather, but it depends on the risks you are willing to take (I wont go out on my bike if it is pouring with rain as it is too hard to see a bike in foul weather, even with lights on etc), and if your balance is not A1 you wont want to go out i the wet or in very windy conditions. There are lots of reasons not to go out, but that is not necessarily an excuse not to exercise. I think the stair idea is great! 

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here are my tips to indoor rainy day workouts:

Up and down stairs; every two minutes do 10 push-ups off the second stair from the bottom. (Much easier way to start doing push-ups)

or 15 squats

or 12 lunges

If you have the room, buy a jump rope at the dollar store and skip instead of stairs.

you can also try jumping jacks, burpees.

If you have small Dumbbells or even soup cans and you can do some shoulder work such as shrugs, laterals, or presses.

the more varied I make them the more likely I'll skip the wet run and do an indoor session instead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Today is a perfect example of needing rain gear and being creative inside. It's been raining all day and now the wind has kicked up. This morning we bundled up and ventured out to get in a quick 3 miles, then back home, which meant walking up and down the stairs, squats in the living room, jumping in place (while dogs are barking at me thinking I've lost my mind). Fingers crossed the wind dies down or it will be another day of mixed activity. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sometimes when I'm at home on the weekend and need to get my steps in, I'll alternate walking in place with walking across my studio apartment. My cat looks at me like I'm nuts, but I gotta get my steps in!

Best Answer

That's what waterproofs are for... or if it's not too heavy, I just get wet.

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes