Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JUMPING June Step Challenge

The MAYhem step challenge is nearly over so it’s time to start thinking about next month.  Maybe some JUMPING JACKS spread through your June walks/runs? 

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
202 REPLIES 202

June 22

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 15/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 22/30

- Weights — 12/30 days - 9/12

- Lose 2 kilos (4.4 pounds) [CW 66.8 kg] — I’ll only report this end month)

Best Answer

22 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     19/20

Swim 2x per week                                                      6/8

Dance 6 hours a week (minimum)                          2/6    14/24

One Coach workout or bike ride per week              3/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

23 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     20/20

One Coach workout or bike ride per week              4/4

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Off for another bike event this morning.  Much shorter than last Saturday— about 35 miles counting from my house — and BEER after! 😋0A793F74-1B44-4BCA-A6A1-83760675E1D9.jpeg

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

I already met all my goals for June. It was getting too time consuming to create a photo of my daily chores and post them, so I'm simplifying what I report here. I found if I average seven "Fitbit miles" a day, I'll achieve my calorie goals. This will also achieve my goal for completing the 48 state virtual hike, which I'm posting on another thread. I'll still be tracking my chores in a spreadsheet for motivation.

From now on, until I change my mind for variety, I'll just report the daily miles and compare my total miles to my goal since June 1, 2018.

DayDateMilesTotal Fitbit MilesTotal miles goal
226/22/20186.22151.95154

Best Answer

June 23

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 16/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 23/30

Not sure what it is, or what I did, but starting yesterday I’ve  started getting a sudden sharp pain in my leg joint (left one). It almost feels like it’s popping out of the socket. Couldn’t do much more than my 11,000 steps today. Hope it’s just pulled a muscle or something! 😬

Best Answer

June 23

1.  9,000 steps
  2. Swimming 
    IMG_20180623_155828.jpg
Android and iPhone 6s. Versa, Flex 2, and Zip
Best Answer

That's a great shot @SeleneD

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Jotex wrote:

Not sure what it is, or what I did, but starting yesterday I’ve  started getting a sudden sharp pain in my leg joint (left one). It almost feels like it’s popping out of the socket. Couldn’t do much more than my 11,000 steps today. Hope it’s just pulled a muscle or something! 😬

Hip joint?

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Beers!Beers!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott wrote:

@Jotex wrote:

Hip joint?

I wondered about that, but sure hope not! 😳

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great shot @Baltoscott, and you seem to be enjoying your beer! 🍺 

Best Answer

@Jotex,

Sharp pains are compelling warning signals to stop doing something or risk permanent damage. I get pain in my right knee or hip joint if I average over 16,000 steps a day for too long. A couple people have suggested the hip joint pain may actually be your sciatic nerve. I recommend not taking any anti-inflammatory drugs unless you need them to sleep. This might be a good time to devote six to eight weeks to light strength training.

@Baltoscott,

You look like you are having a good time drinking that beer.

DayDateMilesTotal Fitbit MilesTotal miles goal
236/23/20187.58159.53161
Best Answer

June 24

• 9,000 steps
  • Biking
  • Dancing 
  • IMG_20180618_201213.jpg
Android and iPhone 6s. Versa, Flex 2, and Zip
Best Answer

June 24

900 JUMPING JUNE JACKS (a set of 30/day) 

24/30

15K steps/day

23/30

1 pushup/day 

24/30

16 weight-lifting days

12/16

50 floors or more for 20 days

18/20

Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month

5/12

Good news on the phone interview @A_Lurker.  Hope it pans out.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

June 24

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 17/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 24/30

@GershonSurge - thanks for the tip. I have been pushing myself a little harder the past week or so which might account for the pain. It was much better today until ... I went on my treadmill late adternoon. I then slowed the pace down from 5 k / h to 4.5; and stopped and stretched when I had a jab of pain. I wonder if it could be a pulled muscle? Or what you and @Baltoscott mentioned: hip joint or sciatica. Will see how it is tomorrow and then decide what to do. 

@A_Lurker — ditto what @Baltoscott said about the interview. Fingers crossed!

Best Answer

25 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     22/20

Ghat beer looks good @Baltoscott

@A_Lurker I hope the interview went well.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Well happy Monday!

Finally almost feeling human again.  Won't be up for anything strenuous this week but should be able to walk and hopefully eat normally.  I have inner ear problems and am supposed to Sudafed whenever I have even a hint of sinus pressure.  5 days of sudafed killed my stomach and put me in "either be stuffed all the time or throw up, your choice" mode.

Last 7 days I averaged just under 8K (55816) and just over 2400 burn (16930).  Adjusting my June goals to drop those 7 days out of the month:

Old steps goal - 13.5K x 30 - 405000  New goal 13.5x23 +55816 = 366316 - round up to 367000
Old burn goal - 2700 x 30 - 81000 New goal 2700 x23 +16930 = 79030- round up to 79,100

Best Answer

June 26

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 18/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 26/30

Not sure what happened, but I only had about 3,000 steps yesterday. {That’s going to really hurt my monthly step average... 😐.} Wanted to make up for it today, but after over an hour walking, I had excruciating pain in my left leg/groin area again. @GershonSurge — I took your advice to heart and stopped immediately. Will try to complete June goals and then start focusing on gentle muscle strengthening exercises again. I was diagnosed a few years ago with osteoarthritis. I have walked with a limp (sometimes better, sometimes worse) for years now. Now I am in constant pain. Don’t know whether a hip replacement surgery is in my future or not.

@Ennay — wish you continued strength and a speedy recovery. 🌷

Best Answer

26 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     23/20

Swim 2x per week                                                      7/8

Dance 6 hours a week (minimum)                          4/6    16/24

Community Council Member

Best Answer