Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got Fitbit: Counting steps on a elliptical

ANSWERED
Does the Fitbit count steps while doing elliptical
Best Answer
0 Votes
63 REPLIES 63

I have a Fitbit Zip and wear it on the tongue of my New Balance shoe when I do the elliptical and it counts very well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@llo wrote:

so, the fitbit only registers step if my arms swing, or it can detect my leg moving?

It's attempting to register impacts of a foot landing.

That's allows calculating distance of that step.

Distance and time and weight are very good estimates of calories burned. That is main need for daily activity improved estimated calorie burn.

Side benefit is giving a step count for people to use as motivator and goal.

So as far as elliptical is concerned, you can do it smooth enough it will barely if at all see impacts.

You can do it impact style and it will see some.

Best if device is on-body to see potential impact of both feet, just as if walking.

If doing elliptical with handholds with a wrist unit - some movement may be seen as a step, but likely only 1 side - so half the "steps" actually done.

If on foot - it'll likely be better at seeing all the 1 foot steps - but still 1/2 normal.

Problem with it on-foot regarding calorie burn, or on-body for HR-device, or regarding elliptical anyway with no HR-based calorie burn estimated.

The distance calculated has no relation to actual distance moved for calorie calculations.

So it totally depends on what is your goal here, and what is most important.

If you want best estimate of calories burned - leave a HR device on wrist and accept not many if any steps will be seen.

If your sole goal is step count and calories don't matter - put it on body about waist level for best bet to pick up as many feet going "down" as possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

This chart converts different types of exercise into steps: https://www.pehp.org/mango/pdf/pehp/pdc/step%20conversion%20chart_FFB805BB.pdf

Best Answer
0 Votes

interesting conversation.  I was using a knock-off veryfit device for a long time before getting a fitbit.  I've been using both and to count steps on the elliptical I put both in my pocket.  I also use a rowing machine and that will count as steps as well on the veryfit, but only activity on the fibit, it doesn't covert it to steps.  joined some challenges recently and noticed my steps don't line up with my challenge steps or my active minutes and after lots of searching, I'm realizing that the time in my pocket is not counting towards the challenges and that's why my steps are off.  I can't say for certain yet, but since it's not getting the active minutes its not counting it for challenges I think.  Going to try and science it tonight to see if I'm right, but if so that's a bummer because those two devices are how I work out most of the time and the cheap device is better than the expensive one.  and I'll basically never win a challenge.  ugh.

Best Answer
0 Votes