Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Shoes

ANSWERED

Hi,

I am looking for a good pair of running shoes,

I am currently using Sketchers memory foam one but they've worn out.

I mostly run on the treadmill as its too hot to run outside now.

Any suggestions welcome 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

As far as brands, I tend to gravitate toward Asics or Mizuno for running shoes; but I agree with a lot of the posts above me, it's a good call to get a running shoe that compliments your running stride and feet.

It's also useful to analyze the sole of an old pair of running shoes. You can learn a ton about your stride by by just looking at how your running shoes' soles wear down.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

You don't have to pay a lot for a great shoe. My Asics were about $35 less than the Nike Air Max that I wear for everything else other than running. Honestly, the Asics are more comfortable too.

"Why are we here? Because we're here." - Neil Peart

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
21 REPLIES 21

The best running shoes for you cannot be recommended until we know a whole lot more about your foot shape and running style; I suggest you go to a site like RoadRunnerSports and look at their fit instructions.

Best Answer

personally i love abeo,

Best Answer
0 Votes

Like shipo said, the best shoe is going to be specific to your feet. Most of my family swears by aisics, but they don't quite fit my feet right. I would find a store where they look at your stride. I go to PR Running, where they watch you walk and run and suggest shoes based off of how you actually step.

Best Answer

I agree go to a good running shoe store and get fitted.  They look at your gait and try different shoes on you. Mine even lets me go outside and run around.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

A store that specializes in running shoes is your very best bet.  Some of them even have treadmills you can run on in the store that measure impact so they can see how you land on your feet and the areas that get the most pressure.  This is a great way to get fitted for running shoes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

puma.jpg

These are the shoes I run in made by Puma.  They are very light weight and are the only shoes I can for a long time in and it doesn't hurt my feet.      

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went to a sports store that specialized in running. They monitored my stride and suggested a pair of Aisics that I really like.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As far as brands, I tend to gravitate toward Asics or Mizuno for running shoes; but I agree with a lot of the posts above me, it's a good call to get a running shoe that compliments your running stride and feet.

It's also useful to analyze the sole of an old pair of running shoes. You can learn a ton about your stride by by just looking at how your running shoes' soles wear down.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I swear by the Nike 5.0 but no one else who runs in my circle does. to echo the rest, you have to go and get help figuring out what works. Please please please do not go to foot locker or dicks or any of those places. they know how to sell a shoe, not fit you for a shoe. Let us know what you end up with...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

to be honest, I have no idea what my running style is.

I think its best for me to go to a store to get fitted.

Any stores you can recommend?

Thank You

Best Answer
0 Votes

The nike fly knit seems pretty cool but not sure about the price.

Which store would you recommed to go to get fitted?

Thank You

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm not sure what's in your area since typically these places are not chains. I would start with googling your area and then reading reviews for those you find

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recommend a shoe store! Smiley Tongue

The truth is - for me, I'm not convinced that you get a better shoe by spending more money. I've bought a pair of running shoes from one of those specialty stores where they video your gait and show you if you have pronation or some of those other 20 dollar words that apply to the way your feet hit the ground when you run. 

The problem I have is at the store I was at, they wouldn't let me look at my gait with their fancy shoes on my feet. There's no evidence I've seen to suggest an extra cushion here or there will do anything special. More comfortable? Maybe. But I just couldn't tell the difference between the $120 pair and the $50 pair. Both pairs are comfortable and two years later are still with me - but I don't run every day, only occasionally if the weather's right. 

You're just going to have to let your feet tell you what to do. If they're comfortable, go ahead and try them out. Sooner or later, you'll find the right brand of shoe for your feet. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer

You don't have to pay a lot for a great shoe. My Asics were about $35 less than the Nike Air Max that I wear for everything else other than running. Honestly, the Asics are more comfortable too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ukase wrote:

The problem I have is at the store I was at, they wouldn't let me look at my gait with their fancy shoes on my feet. There's no evidence I've seen to suggest an extra cushion here or there will do anything special. More comfortable? Maybe. But I just couldn't tell the difference between the $120 pair and the $50 pair. Both pairs are comfortable and two years later are still with me - but I don't run every day, only occasionally if the weather's right. 

For an occasional runner who runs a mile or two every now and again, shoes probably won't make any difference at all; crank it up to say 50-70 miles per week and proper shoes make a HUGE difference.  That said, it isn't always the most expensive shoe which is the correct shoe, in fact, I don't think I've ever bought the most expensive shoe on the menu.

Speaking strictly for myself and my wife, we are both older runners with high arches and prone to lots of trail miles, mixed in with a few road miles per week.  Given our neutral stride and given the fact we both have high arches and relatively wide feet, Asics shoes are pretty much the only game in town for us.  We've tried other brands and have ended up injured, only to return to the Asics fold and start racking up the mile again.

The above said, I coach a lot of runners who have various foot size/shape issues along with gait issues who cannot run in Asics shoes, Nike, New Balance, Brooks, you name it, there is typically a shoe for everybody.

Best Answer
0 Votes

shipo wrote

For an occasional runner who runs a mile or two every now and again, shoes probably won't make any difference at all; crank it up to say 50-70 miles per week and proper shoes make a HUGE difference.

Totally agree with this. I don't run enough that the shoe would make too much of a difference, so I've never gone to get fitted. Reebok is my favored brand for running just because it seems to fit my foot best and I can pick up a discontinued pair from Amazon for a nice discount.

I don't run all that much (maybe 10-15 miles per week), but I do plenty of long distance hiking and it holds true for either activity: a few miles and your choice of footwear probably won't matter. Most shoes or boots will be comfortable enough at those shorter distances that things like blisters, pinching, arch support, heel support or cushioning won't turn into an issue. Once you get past that "few miles" category, however, the wrong shoe can put you in quite a bit of pain quickly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank You.

Currently I am running 10k 3 times a week.

Once its cooler, im hoping to start training for a half marathon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have quite wide feet and a high arch so I'll try out Asics, Thanks.

Who knew so much came in  to play when choosing a shoe.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BlueberryS wrote:

I have quite wide feet and a high arch so I'll try out Asics, Thanks.

Who knew so much came in  to play when choosing a shoe.

Asics has some models which come in D, E, EE, and EEEE widths.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes