Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoveling Snow

Earlier today I shoveled snow for 30 minutes and it showed up on my Dashboard as Sport.  An hour or so later I went out to shovel again but the second round isn't showing on my desktop.   On my I-phone, it did show up as Active Minutes.....but I'd like to have the positive reinforcement and satisfaction of seeing it in both places.   

How do folks track their activity?  And how to they keep it going?  I seem to get going in spurts and then something happens that interrupts the routine and I get off-track.  All suggestions welcome! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

you could manually log the activity if it doesn't come up automatically.

As for tracking my activity. The ones I want to see calories burned for are auto detected with the tracker so I don't need to choose one. For weight lifting if I want to have it come up, I set the exercise on my tracker and it captures it that way. I have been keeping active for years now so it is part of my day like eating, drinking, talking, etc. It is a routine and a habit. It keeps me sane and I am guaranteed me time.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply!  Appreciate it. And good for you being so locked in and consistent over time....something I am aspiring to.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

For automatically detected exercise, I find it's not worth it to stress over the tracking. It will either pick it up or not, and I've been unable to do much to affect it either way.

The important part for me is the active minutes. If the activity generates active minutes, then we know the heart rate was elevated and a number of calories were burned. The activity list of exercises is, for me, just for hitting the weekly goal. If I need a day of tracked exercise for that, a walk will do. Other than that, I try to make sure there are active minutes.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

That makes total sense! Thanks!  And now another take on the snowfall outside my window by Lowell

The snow had begun in the gloaming,

And busily all the night

Had been heaping field and highway

With a silence deep and white.

Every pine and fir and hemlock

wore ermine too dear for an earl,

And the poorest twig on the elm-tree

Was ridged inch-deep with pearl.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Under the exercise choices I would like to see shoveling snow.  It’s not an option and doing so for long periods of time it is exercise.  Fitbit needs to add this choice. 

Best Answer

@SunsetRunnerwrote:

Under the exercise choices I would like to see shoveling snow. 

If you enter "snow" in the search box and click on the magnifying glass icon, you will see "snow removal":

2018-03-09_0906.png

If you want to have it called "Shoveling snow", just create your own custom activity.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don’t have a magnifying glass. Sorry, I don’t know how to add my own either. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

You need to do this in your browser (go to https://www.fitbit.com/activities), not in the Fitbit app.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. Not easy to find add activities. All finished though.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Awesome! It worked 👍🏼

Best Answer
0 Votes

i got 40 min walking when I shoveled snow and active min 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I myself would use workout mode. Then I would set up a custom record and when it synced I can change it

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

This is not showing up on my Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes