Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey: Emotions about wearing fitbits?

ANSWERED

Hello, 

My name is Laura and I am a 2nd-year anthropology student. I am currently doing research around wearable tech and as a FitBit owner myself, I am keen to find out how people who wear Fitbit's feel about autonomy? Do you feel guilty if you don't hit your step target? What about if you forget your device when you go for a family walk? Has it changed your eating habits? I would love to hear any and every view about your emotions and feelings towards your Fitbit, whatever they may be. No personal data/names will be used in my essay. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Eh, why not, I'll play. 

I've only owned my Fitbit Blaze since April 1st. My husband purchased it for me at the suggestion of my mother as an early anniversary present. I've had a problem with my weight for most of my life and thus most gifts for me are centered around my weight. (For some history, I lost the 100 extra lbs my body likes to carry around age 17, think it took me until age 19. Kept it off for nearly 10 years until 2008 and then gained it all back over a span of 2-4 months when I lost my job. I wasn't binging, I just wasn't weighing daily and calorie counting everything. Since then I will go on a crazy diet, lost 30 lbs or so and then just start feeling sick and have to quit and then regain and repeat. So, that's the history. In the past, I've used a 1200 calories or less diet to lose weight. )

My Fitbit has been a huge game changer. I've only lost 12 lbs in the 7 weeks I've had it, but, it has been the easiest, most sustainable way that I have ever lost weight. I'm not hungry all the time. I eat at a 1000 calorie deficit which works out to more like a 700 calorie deficit in actual loss. If I want to eat more, I just walk more. I don't have a gym membership. (Wish I could have all the money back I've spent on gym memberships and exercise equipment that I didn't use) I just walk around in my own livingroom while watching a movie or jog around my kitchen while I wait for the coffee to brew in the morning. Most days I manage to fit in things I love, like brie cheese or pizza or ice cream and still lose weight. 

The most important thing for me is that it has changed a very important dialogue in my head. I've called myself lazy my whole life because I know that everyone thinks I'm fat because I'm lazy. My own parents and siblings have said that. I hit 10,000 steps my first day without even trying, just doing my usual everyday routine. Now, on days I have meetings and so on, I do have to add extra steps, but, I believe that most of the time before my fitbit I've gotten more than 10,000 steps. It was so liberating to KNOW that I wasn't lazy. I did the Fitbit Premium trial and got to compare and found out that my average steps made me more active than 87% of Fitbit users. So, yeah, it turns out I can finally quit using the word lazy to describe myself. 

Other people are still having some trouble with that. I have 'friends' who question my steps, tell me my fitbit must be broken and so on because they simply cannot believe that a fat person can be active and especially not more active than them every single day by thousands of steps. 

Right now I would say that I rely heavily on my Fitbit to decide how much to eat. I would probably drop everything and buy a new one immediately if mine just didn't work one day. 

I had one day where my fitbit wasn't snapped into the charger correctly. I have a backup pedometer for that circumstance. That way I can still aim for 10,000 steps and just eat to match the calories from a similar day. 

It took quite a bit of self control not to just buy a backup blaze when they were all on sale for mother's day. I may buy a cheaper one as a backup, like a flex or something. 

To answer some of your questions, 

I haven't forgotten my device yet, but, I'm sure it will ruin my day. Now, if we were out for a family walk, then it would be on one of the trails I know the distance of and it wouldn't be a big deal. But, forgetting it on a workday would be awful. 

I've never missed my step target, though, one day I missed my 30 minutes of activity target because of a migraine. It bothered me, but, I chalked it up to one of those things that will happen now and then. 

It has changed my eating habits. I don't feel guilty eating anymore. I used to buy a 6 ounce wheel of brie, feel ashamed that I bought it and then eat it all in one sitting just to get it out of the house. Now I just have an ounce or so everyday and don't feel guilty at all. I don't feel guilty ordering pizza or going through the drive-thru. I mostly eat healthy, but, I no longer feel guilty at all about eating food that I enjoy. I just log it and walk accordingly. 

I still have people in my life who try to guilt me into eating less. I inform them that I am doing it slow this time. I will never crazy diet again. I will just eat however much the fitbit says I can eat.. lol

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

Eh, why not, I'll play. 

I've only owned my Fitbit Blaze since April 1st. My husband purchased it for me at the suggestion of my mother as an early anniversary present. I've had a problem with my weight for most of my life and thus most gifts for me are centered around my weight. (For some history, I lost the 100 extra lbs my body likes to carry around age 17, think it took me until age 19. Kept it off for nearly 10 years until 2008 and then gained it all back over a span of 2-4 months when I lost my job. I wasn't binging, I just wasn't weighing daily and calorie counting everything. Since then I will go on a crazy diet, lost 30 lbs or so and then just start feeling sick and have to quit and then regain and repeat. So, that's the history. In the past, I've used a 1200 calories or less diet to lose weight. )

My Fitbit has been a huge game changer. I've only lost 12 lbs in the 7 weeks I've had it, but, it has been the easiest, most sustainable way that I have ever lost weight. I'm not hungry all the time. I eat at a 1000 calorie deficit which works out to more like a 700 calorie deficit in actual loss. If I want to eat more, I just walk more. I don't have a gym membership. (Wish I could have all the money back I've spent on gym memberships and exercise equipment that I didn't use) I just walk around in my own livingroom while watching a movie or jog around my kitchen while I wait for the coffee to brew in the morning. Most days I manage to fit in things I love, like brie cheese or pizza or ice cream and still lose weight. 

The most important thing for me is that it has changed a very important dialogue in my head. I've called myself lazy my whole life because I know that everyone thinks I'm fat because I'm lazy. My own parents and siblings have said that. I hit 10,000 steps my first day without even trying, just doing my usual everyday routine. Now, on days I have meetings and so on, I do have to add extra steps, but, I believe that most of the time before my fitbit I've gotten more than 10,000 steps. It was so liberating to KNOW that I wasn't lazy. I did the Fitbit Premium trial and got to compare and found out that my average steps made me more active than 87% of Fitbit users. So, yeah, it turns out I can finally quit using the word lazy to describe myself. 

Other people are still having some trouble with that. I have 'friends' who question my steps, tell me my fitbit must be broken and so on because they simply cannot believe that a fat person can be active and especially not more active than them every single day by thousands of steps. 

Right now I would say that I rely heavily on my Fitbit to decide how much to eat. I would probably drop everything and buy a new one immediately if mine just didn't work one day. 

I had one day where my fitbit wasn't snapped into the charger correctly. I have a backup pedometer for that circumstance. That way I can still aim for 10,000 steps and just eat to match the calories from a similar day. 

It took quite a bit of self control not to just buy a backup blaze when they were all on sale for mother's day. I may buy a cheaper one as a backup, like a flex or something. 

To answer some of your questions, 

I haven't forgotten my device yet, but, I'm sure it will ruin my day. Now, if we were out for a family walk, then it would be on one of the trails I know the distance of and it wouldn't be a big deal. But, forgetting it on a workday would be awful. 

I've never missed my step target, though, one day I missed my 30 minutes of activity target because of a migraine. It bothered me, but, I chalked it up to one of those things that will happen now and then. 

It has changed my eating habits. I don't feel guilty eating anymore. I used to buy a 6 ounce wheel of brie, feel ashamed that I bought it and then eat it all in one sitting just to get it out of the house. Now I just have an ounce or so everyday and don't feel guilty at all. I don't feel guilty ordering pizza or going through the drive-thru. I mostly eat healthy, but, I no longer feel guilty at all about eating food that I enjoy. I just log it and walk accordingly. 

I still have people in my life who try to guilt me into eating less. I inform them that I am doing it slow this time. I will never crazy diet again. I will just eat however much the fitbit says I can eat.. lol

Best Answer

Dear JenniferinFL

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this survey and the amount of information you have given me is extraordinary. I'm very touched that a complete stranger took some time to help with my essay. 

Youre story is very inspirational and I'm so happy that the FitBit has been a positive influence in your life.

I have a few more questions if you wouldn't mind taking the time? 

Do you feel your FitBit is an extension of your body? 

Are there  days you resent your Fitbit (logging of meals etc) 

how do you feel when the Fitbit 'nudges' you to move? I'm more focused on wearable tech being 'controlling' and whether this is a good or bad thing.

kind Regards

laura

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi - received FitBit as Christmas gift from husband.  Was genuinely, genuinely excited!

I use mine as my guide and conscience.  As much as it shows me what I do, it shows me what I don't do.  Having moved from slim and fit to obese and unfit due to moving from active to sedentary lifestyle I 'lost' myself.  Fitbit technology is supporting me in 'finding' myself again.  It monitors and marks my progress, gives me fixed point opportunities during the day to check in with myself, and gives me the opportunity to stop and have some 'focus on me' time which I didn't have before.

I don't like forgetting to wear my Fitbit - feel cheated by losing the visible record of achievement (or otherwise!).  I try not to do negative so don't feel guilty if I don't hit my steps target, but I do take time to consider why.  

Psychologically I feel very supported by the information now available at my fingertips - I recognise that the calorie burn might be a little high - but so long as I always use Fitbit I am using the same measure, so the absolute accuracy of readings is not that important.  

I have moved from feeling ashamed of size and lack of activity, to feeling in control, gaining back a sense of self and pride and celebrating my weight losses and fitness improvement.  

Like all things, Fitbit is only one part of the whole, discipline is still required, but as an ever present buddy on this journey to wellness and self it is exceptionally helpful and appreciated.

Trust helpful.

Best Answer

@anthrogeek

Do you feel guilty if you don't hit your step target?

Not since I started hitting it every day.

What about if you forget your device when you go for a family walk?

I'd send someone home to get it or call a cab.

Has it changed your eating habits?

Meticulously counting calories helped me lose 28 pounds and reach the weight I was at when I graduated from college.

Best Answer

"Do you feel your FitBit is an extension of your body? 

Are there  days you resent your Fitbit (logging of meals etc) 

how do you feel when the Fitbit 'nudges' you to move? I'm more focused on wearable tech being 'controlling' and whether this is a good or bad thing."

No, I feel like my Fitbit is a tool. Like my cell phone, something I would feel inconvenienced without, but, not an extension of my body. 

I only occasionally resent my Fitbit. It seems to happen when I don't get enough sleep, the Fitbit goes from showing that I burn 6 calories every 5 minutes at rest to just 4 calories every 5 minutes at rest. I can counteract it with an extra 2000 steps or so, but, it does irritate me a bit.

Unfortunately, the move feature isn't something I can usually take advantage of. I step more than 250 steps an hour unless I can't, in which case the reminder doesn't help. It usually buzzes when I've been stuck in a meeting for over an hour and there's nothing I can do about it. lol The only time mine buzzes is when I'm in a meeting or sleeping in late.

Unfortunately, for the topic of your essay, my information may not be helpful. I'm in my 30's and not that prone to being controlled by a device at this stage in my life. It is a very valuable tool. The closest it gets to being controlling though is that I would have to race out and buy another if mine broke because I've very quickly come to rely on it. I could potentially see myself overtraining when sick because of the device. I was really annoyed when I didn't get my half hour of exercise and missed that green circle.. lol I could also see myself turning around and driving home to get it if I forgot it even if it would make me late for work. But, as luck would have it, haven't had to do either of those things yet. 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Laura,

Always keen to assist with study. 

My Fitbit journey started on 3rd Jan this year. I'd hoped to start on 1st Jan, but Amazon Prime isn't all it's supposed to be!

I started because I'd got beyond a little "cuddly" and in to the morbidly obese range. I was struggling to walk upstairs, tired all of the time, miserable and worrying myself and my family that I was eating myself in to an early grave. At that stage, my BMI was >38 and I weighed 142kg.

I'm not always very comfortable with "tech", so I've come in to the Fitbit world on the ground floor with the Zip. I've set my daily step goal at 10,000. I've achieved it 128/139 days. I would not have done so without my Fitbit. It helps me to monitor my activity. I remain autonomous, because I make a conscious decision each day to use my Fitbit. It helps me to achieve my goals rather than taking control of my life. That said, if I had only done 9,500 steps by bedtime, I'd probably find an excuse to walk around a little. On the few occasions I've failed to hit 10k, I've felt a little guilty, but it's always been with good reason. 

I don't use the food logging or calorie counting bits of the app. I never count calories. I never have, I don't intend to ever start. 

What I have done is kept a food and exercise diary. But I've done it "old school", in a paper diary with a pen. It really helps. Having to write down what I'm eating really helps me to think about whether what I'm eating is what I need, or simply what I want.

The other big change is in what I'm eating. I've adopted a Mediterranean style diet. In February, I also cut out meat. I eat plenty of fish still. I don't miss meat in the slightest. I feel much better without it. 

So is it working?

Yes, yes, yes!

My weight is down by over 22kg. Still obese, but not for much longer. 

My BP, resting HR, cholesterol, blood sugar etc. is all much better (normal, in fact!).

My mood has improved. It's also levelled out. I'm a much nicer chap to be around. 

My exercise tolerance is coming on wonderfully. From being breathless climbing a flight of stairs in January, I'm now running on alternate days. I recently did a 5km run (parkrun, try it. Wonderful!) in 26:36. In the last two weeks I've done two nine mile runs. Both in 90 minutes. I've entered a half marathon in November and will be aiming to run under 2 hours 10 minutes. Perhaps even sub-two, training permitting!

So my journey is ongoing, but I know that I'm heading in the right direction. Fitbit is a significant part of my toolkit, but more important is the love of my family and friends, my determination to be healthy and my new found enjoyment of fuelling myself with better food. 

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

Depends, if it is not a special day (like a family day) where I know upfront that I won't make it, I would. But then I hit it on those days always. If I know it is a family day I will try to get steps in, but my priority during that time is with my family. And I don't feel guilty for not taking my steps then or eating lots of calories.

I sometimes take it off for family visits, so it is not in the back of my mind. We don't go for family walks though. If I were to forget it for a walk I would feel bumped that my steps would not get registered, specially since I might be in a challenge. But it happened and while I might feel bumped I remind myself that taking those steps is more important than having them measured. That it is a tool to get me moving more and healthy and that it is working even though it did not measure it.

Apart from tracking calories not. What I eat changed, but not because of the FitBit (went more plant based (never fully) and trying my best to stick to it, at the moment not doing great at where I want my diet to be). Before I had the FitBit I already weighed myself so would adjust according to that.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope, I do tons of things that aren't step based.  Calories burned is way more important to me.

Well it's now like an extension of myself, so I can't remember a time when it wasn't there.  Not sure how I would feel if it wasn't.

Has the device itself?  I would say no.  Has it made me more mindful of what I am eating?  Yes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would make a clear distinction between the device and the app, which I think is important here.

The device has encouraged me to be more active, I take the stairs more, I hate not getting my 250 steps/hour in. and the reminder will spur me to get up and walk round the building to speak to someone rather than call or send an email for example.

I walk more often, and for longer duration. Being aware of how many calories I'm burning, and hitting my target is a motivator, and seeing my heartbeat and cardio score improve over time is rewarding enough.

I'm unlikely to forget it as I wear my charge2 24/7 only removing it to shower/bath which is also the window I get to charge it.

The app has helped me with my diet, before I started calorie counting I had no idea how many calories I was eating, or carb/fat/prot ratio. But I could of used any number of apps, I just used the fitbit app as that's what came with the fitbit. I would say the app features are independent of the wearable tech. I don't use the challenges or compete with friends etc.

Neither has had an impact on my sleep, but it's reassuring to see I'm "normal".

https://www.fitbit.com/user/5KRRJY
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my FitBit in July 2016, as a replacement for a clip-on-the-waistband pedometer (insurance co branded).  My FitBit was "purchased" with points from our wellness program through the insurance company, and I really didn't have much idea about what it did, other than a fancy pedometer with a watch feature, until a few months later when I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes.

Do I let it run my life? No. It's a tool that has been a bit help in weight loss. Thanks to the band and its coordinating app, I know if I've done my 30 minutes of exercise every day, how much I've walked, and the food log was so much easier than the old paper logs that I kept in years back!  

Do I feel guilty if I don't get the steps in?  Yes and no.  If I know I did a lot of sitting in one day because I was too unmotivated to get off my duff and walk or workout, I feel guilty. If I wasn't feeling so great, or I get caught in a 2-hour meeting, I know I did the best I could under the circumstances.

Do I forget to wear it? No. It's like the glasses I wear on my face -- last thing off at night, first thing on in the morning. I do feel guilty if I leave it on the charger too long, while I'm showering or have my face aimed at the laptop.  

I don't wear the band when I'm in bed. I tried that, but I'd roll over and it would flash in my face, or I'd lay on top of it and it would jab me. It was safer not to log my sleep. Besides, I usually know how I slept at night! 

Donna 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had mine since February of this year.  I lost weight before getting it, it was my birthday reward.  

I rarely don't hit my target, if I don't it is okay, my goal is 5 days a week and I usually do it 6 so missing a day is no big deal.

If I'm on a family walk, I just look at my phone and work out the steps (all of our phones also count steps).  

Eating habits - I found I was under eating.  I use the food portion when my weight loss has stalled.  I track for a week get back on track and stop tracking.  I use DASH as my diet.

I like the reminder to move with my fitbit.  It keeps me from sitting for 8 hours straight at work.  Coworkers are getting used to seeing me walk in place if I'm on a call.  If  I forget it, I miss it.  It's just part of what I wear now.It is a reminder that I'm in this for my health.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Dave!

Congrats on a wonderful success story!!  I'm a cardiology NP and try to get my patients to do what you have done.  I also routinely recommend the Mediterranean diet to my patients.  You have implemented habits and change that can be sustained your whole, now health, life.  Kudos to you!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Laura!

Happy to help!  I have two Fitbits and switch back and forth every day.  I sleep with my new Alta HR and then wear it to exercise before work.  I really want to get a sense of where my heart rate is when I exercise.  I wear my Flex 2 at work since I really like wearing a real watch during the day.

Wearing my Fitbits every day has definitely motivated me to move more.  Especially when I'm close to 10,000 steps.  I'll do laps around my living room before I would every go to bed if I was close to goal!  I love meeting my fitbit goals and how the screen flashes and the fitbit vibrates. It's so goofy but so motivating.  I hate when I forget to wear one of them but that hasn't happened in a long time.

A while ago I used it to track what I eat but I'm at a healthy weight and it made me a bit too obsessive about food so I stopped doing it.  I'd lost a couple of pounds doing that so I know if I ever need to lose some weight the fitbit will be a good tool to use.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Everyone,

These are great replies and they are all really varied and surprising! Makes my essay harder though 🙂

I guess other things that I am exploring would include self -surveillance (Foucault's technology of the self) and whether there is a dark side to wearable technology as this survey found http://www.science20.com/the_conversation/fitbit_handcuff_the_dark_side_of_wearable_fitness_trackers....

I'd really love to hear any thoughts and thank you once again everyone for replying 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@anthrogeek

just an observation, the people in the survey were given a fitbit, presumably just a random group of individuals who weren't in the market for such a device?

Where as the people responding in this thread most likely went out and bought one for themselves, or asked for one as a gift. IE they wanted to wear a fitbit.

As such the attitudes towards the devices may differ, with the first group feeling the the device was controlling and forcing change on them, where as the 2nd group were using the device as an aid to what they wanted to do anyway.

https://www.fitbit.com/user/5KRRJY
Best Answer
Thanks!
That's a really useful differentiation you've pointed out there, the science20 survey was kind of the catalyst to this essay but I will remember there is a difference between being given and then possibly 'forced' to use a Fitbit as opposed to the users on here 🙂

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I personally love my Fitbit! I bought my first one in 2015 when they were on sale for Black Friday at work. The main reason I got it was because I work in retail and am on my feet all day long running from one end of the store to the next and I was curious to see just how active I really am each day. After a couple weeks I adjusted my daily goals to match my lifestyle. The added perks of tracking my sleep has been great as well because I have mild insomnia and it helps to know how I sleep each night. I initially had a charge and when the band on that one fell apart I got a charge hr. I currently have a blaze and love all the features on it. 

I haven't changed much eating habits because of it, but I've never struggled with my weight either. Mostly I use it for an activity and sleep tracker. I only take it off to charge or shower. I've been trying to get into shape (not to lose weight but just to be more fit) and it has helped with that. I live close enough to work that I often bike or walk and my Fitbit helps with seeing how active I am. I use the exercise tracker often and love it. I'm still not where I want to be with my fitness but I am working on it. I love the challenges as well because they motivate me to get up and get moving. 

I'm probably one of the few who has responded that doesn't use it to track calories or weight but it is still a great tool for me and my needs. 

Best Answer

I'll help.

I've been wearing a FitBit Flex 2 since mid February. I got it because I have problems with my ankles, so I find it hard to walk. Therefore, my motivation to go out for a walk is low as I'll be in pain if I go up hills or walk for too long (an hour or so?). I decided I wanted to strengthen my ankles and get out more. So I invested.

I got a bright colour I like so I would be motivated to wear it. Who doesn't want to wear a magenta bracelet everyday? I've never missed a day.

I work in an office so I do feel very happy when I hit my 250 steps while at work. (I have it set for between 9am-6pm.) I do a little victory dance when I'm at home.

I have a lower goal than 10,000 to start me off. It was 8,000 but at the weekend I increased it to 8,500 steps. Slow and steady wins the race. When I hit the goal. Again I'm excited.

If I don't hit my goal. Sure, I'll be gutted. But then I'll think why. Was the weather too bad to go out? Was I ill and unable to do much (as was the case on Monday while bed bound with a horrific migraine). Was I too busy at work to get up much? And then look at how I can change to improve those things. 

It's changed my eating habit a little. But I am trying to get fit so I've changed what I eat anyway. But it has improved my drinking. I drink a lot more water now and I can feel it as I'm more awake and alert. Yey.

I hope this helps.

Best Answer

I have had my Fitbit since Feb. 2016. The Fitbit has encouraged me to be more active. I have the Zip, it

doesn't remind me to get up and move. I don't always hit my step target. That's OK. some days are better

than others.In the beginning I wanted to drop 10 lbs.  Went down 5 lbs. Seem to be stuck there. Decided

not to worry about the weight. I feel better and have more energy since using the Fitbit. I am now using the Fitbit as a tool to stay healthy by walking and exercising more. If I forgot to put it on I would not be upset.  Have not forgotten it yet. Keep it by my glasses.   

Best Answer