Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your fitness goals for 2023?

PXL_20221012_223211460.jpgHey everyone - starting a new topic for 2023! 

We're only a week in 2023, so it's the perfect time to discuss what we are hoping to accomplish for the year. Feel free to update this thread as you reach milestones! 

For me: I've had some injuries that I'm working through but recently adopted a dog (see photo - our gorgeous Mimi) so hitting 10k steps a day should be a given! I'd also like to do more low-impact strengthening workouts, like barre and pilates. 

What about you all? Let me know! 

Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

Mimi IS gorgeous! Congratulations on your new family member. For me, making a year long goal doesn't seem feasible so I try to do realistic time frames. My goal is a dry January not just from booze, but from food that doesn't fuel me the way it should. I am also focusing less on stepping and more on muscle, flexibility and activities that are more fun so I don't get tired and bored. Zumba and water aerobics is my new found joy. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili my wife also found Zumba and other types of dance fitness activities her new thing (over holiday period she was so disappointed there were no classes running in the gym 😆).

My goals are simple:

- continue with 1 half-marathon a month like in 2022

- get my swimming to the next (triathlon) level

- 1 marathon and (optional) ultra

- consistently train for triathlon (optional, sign up for end of year although being realistic I will be ready for it next year)

By numbers (like last year, mostly met in 2022):

- Weekly running distance 50km+

- Weekly running elevation 500m+

- 1-2 bouldering/rock climbing sessions a week (recent back injury was a great reminder not to neglect sport that kept my back strong for a couple of years).

Best Answer

I signed up for a 10K in March and I have a goal of 2023 miles this year.

Best Answer

I learned how to ride a unicycle a few years ago and get on it for a few miles every day, but I want to do some longer rides. So I think my distance goal this month is at least one 20 mile day. And I'll do some focused practice on idling (back and forth) since I'm having a hard time trying to learn that skill.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Baltoscott I keep telling myself to learn idling on my bike when stopped and still clipped into the pedals (traffic lights etc.). This would be more like balancing so I wouldn't fell over to the side while stationary on my road bike. I may add that to my goals, too 😄 it's totally optional but also "nice to have".

Best Answer

What a sweet dog!  Lucky you that she adopted you.  You're right, she will see to it that you get your 10,000 steps in per day, but of course, that will not be enough to suit her!

What are my goals?  First of all, to make it through another year but finding more peace along the way.  Then, to get really serious about strength exercises three times a week.  And to get down to my goal weigh - 130 lbs.  I only have another 27 to go, but I have not reached that successfully to date.  I did once, but that was due to Covid, and that doesn't count.  I was so hungry when I was got home after 6 weeks in the hospital, I ate everything I could get my hands on, so not at all to my surprise, I gained the weight back.  This year I intend to succeed, the RIGHT way. 

I hope everyone keeps us posted.

Kayne

Best Answer

That's a lovely dog, @RebeccaFitbit!  I'm cutting down a bit on steps this year, but still hoping to do 11 million, so just over 30000 per day.  Like you, I'm helped in my goals by my dog, Walter- any excuse for a picture!  I should be able to manage 40000 floors in the year, as we are surrounded by beautiful hills, and Walter loves them.

IMG_0001.jpeg

Best Answer

@kaynelvb I know, all she wants to do is do zoomies and we unfortunately live in an apartment, so I have to make multi-week trips to the dog park! 

Best Answer

@Vidd what a sweet boy! 😍

Best Answer

Well Rebecca, if you have to make multi-week trips to the dog park then you should be able to hit the 10,000 steps a day.  10,000 steps a day for you would be 20,000 steps for the dog because they have double your legs!  Now here's a wonderful video about Dexter who only has three legs but walks on two legs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXienXTA4M0

Best Answer

@EdmundC omg how cute! 

Best Answer

@EdmundC , thank you so much for sharing that wonderful video - what an amazing happy dog Dexter is, despite all that's happened to him.

As far as dog steps go, obviously the ratio will vary quite a bit depending on the size of the dog (and the human!), but I've noted with Walter which leg coincides with each one of my steps when we're walking beside one another, and it works out that he does just under 4 steps for each one that I do.  It's probably a ratio around 3.8 or 3.9 to 1.

Best Answer

My goal is to lose weight but I have a question is there a such thing as over doing it this is how my day goes so maybe it will help understand what I am saying I wake up at 3am workout go to school walk a mile at school then from 12 to 1pm I do just dance vidoes then I walk another mile then after school go to the gym for an hour I guess my question Is can all that affect your body because when I'm at the gym I try to lift like 80 pound for the legs to push myself then yesterday I did leg presses and had it at 80 I heard my leg either pop or I felt something and now it's still so sore I guess my question is 

Is there a way I can do all this without being In pain? 

Best Answer

This is me at my first day at the gym sorry the photo is a little blurry so idk if you can see anything 

1674796018151.jpg

and then me a couple of days later with arm muscles

1674796108483.jpg

But also I'm just scared because I know if I stop for 1 day just to let my body rest I will never lose the weight I tell myself if there is pain blood sweat and tears I'm doing something right I also have a saying no pain no gain and also this one pain never killed anybody i know this is irrelevant I just wanted to share my journey so far 

Best Answer

Hey, @RockinRach, good on you for all this work!  

Sounds like you may have overdone things, though, so be careful what you do over the next few days.  

Exercise is one factor for losing weight, and diet is the other, as I'm sure you know.  Good luck to you! 🙂

Best Answer

I'd like to shed about 25 kg of weight. I walk in the garden every morning before going to work because I am currently 105. I also purchased ranboo tshirts, which I only wore on the trek.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Rebecca and everyone else! 🙂 My goal for this year is first to reach 46 kg (101.4 lbs) -> Fitbit gives me "-18 kg lost" achievement badge and after that (if I still have more to lose) to reach 43 kg (94.8 lbs) -> Fitbit's "-21 kg lost" badge is mine! 😎 Also, I'm gonna try to get some walking badges: 25K (Classics) and 32K (Minion Bob) are next on my list to try to achieve but it's gonna be a pain 'cos I'm only 4'10" and so walking over 20K in a day has always been a struggle 😣

ps. I love the doggy pics in here 😍

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that it's fascinating seeing a four legged animal walking on two legs - it's a great illustration of what might have happened to a monkey maybe six million years ago, maybe it fell out of a tree and managed to walk around.  Evolution is a something that we have done ... or maybe were forced to do?  It's lovely to see Dexter showing us what may have happened to our ancestors back then.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much 

Best Answer