Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World Record Marathon Attempt

I'll be 63 next week, and I decided to set a crazy goal for myself. Set the world marathon record for my age when I'm either 65 or 66. Some people say not to broadcast a goal. Others say it should be broadcast.

The current record is about 2:41:00.

My training program is simple. It's what I call the "Non-Destructive Adaptation Model." I'll run with a metronome starting at a slow stride rate and increase it by .06 a day. Each day, I'll increase the miles by about .01. I'm currently able to "jog" very slowly for an hour and fifty minutes and do it each day except for normal rest days. The way the numbers work out, I'll run for about the same time each day until the big date.

The basis of my training theory comes from the Maffetone Method. I keep the average heart rate for my runs between 180 minus my age to 10 beats below that. (110-117). This will force the rest of my cardiovascular system to develop as my pace and distance slowly improves.

I'm using the Surge coupled with a Nike App to track my training. I have day by day goals until the marathon.

I'll run the Denver Marathon since the air is thinner and easier to run through. I live at close to the same altitude.

Best Answer
60 REPLIES 60

Cool, keep us posted on your progress.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes