Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR users: Increased heart rate after eating?

A lot of times after I eat dinner I will have a heart rate around 100-105.  My average rate is 71 per my dashboard.  Usually between 75-90 during the day.  

Anyone else notice increased heart rate after eating?  Should I have any concerns about going over 100?  I hear that it should always be under 100 if you are not active.  

Best Answer
180 REPLIES 180
physically, this makes perfect sense! However, depending on the food we
eat and quantity, the impact on our cardiovascular system, including heart
rate is remarkably different.

Not to mention the obvious stimulants like Coffee, carbs and sweets have a
huge impact on the heart, cortisol, and blood sugar (glucose).

--
*Cheers!*

*James*
Best Answer

I could literally copy and paste your answer, I just had pizza for lunch, I know bad choice but I did and I could easily collapse and sleep for hours. My pulse jumps up so dramatically that I can feel it in my neck and chest. I have zero energy and just want to sleep. This is why I normally fast around lunch time or eat a very light and carb-less meal. 

Best Answer

It definitely increases and is much more pronounced when I am fasting. I typically fast most days, not eating for 15-20 hours. If I eat a big carb-filled meal following this it will completely zap me and my HR skyrockets. I have been on Motoprol since I was 25. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm using intermittent diet on avg 15 hrs a day. But during eating periods
i'm on a relatively strict Paleo diet. It helped normalize both my pulse
and my blood pressure.

--
*Cheers!*

*James*
Best Answer
one word for you - Paleo!

I do intermittent for over a month now, on avg 15 hour fast, and during
eating periods I eat Paleo with rare (2-3 times a week) exceptions

--
*Cheers!*

*James*
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’d feel the same after a large meal. I haven’t made the relation to high fat or high carb... 

but check out the link below very interesting article !!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My RHR goes up if I've eaten sodium-heavy meals (particularly if I eat out or get take-out).  We had our Christmas meal catered and ordered in quite a bit over the December holidays and my RHR was in the 70s for two weeks.  Then, around Chinese/Lunar New Year, my RHR was as high as 75!!!  

Best Answer

Looking at my daily records, there generally seems to be an HR increase after meals for an hour or so. Nothing close to going for a walk, but an increase in compared to sitting my desk mid-afternoon and working on the computer, or watching TV a couple of hours after dinner.

That makes sense given that your body has to start digesting and turning food into usable energy and that process itself burns energy causing all your biological processes, including HR, to ramp up a bit.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

OlivePig, what kind of pills would you take?  I get the same way, curious if there is a pill out there that could help bring mine down.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know from experience owning a Fitbit that are not accurate is Fitbit refuses to take care of issues like thatI!

It's according to Fitbit tells me I'm only getting 2 hours of sleep a night!

I know it's wrong and I've done everything / instructed to reset it and it still does it it's defective don't trust Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

i have this problem at times too. i cant figure it out. It hasn't happened as much lately...and it is usually from food  except sometimes lately i will drink this hills brothers french vanilla instant coffee stuff and i dont even look at my fitbit heart rate but i will feel like im going to have a heart attack its definately faster. i remember it happening from fast food (dont have it anymore that was a couple years back)and croutons to. 

Best Answer

There are medications but they make you really sleepy. Metoprolol and Propranolol are a couple examples 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@writergal28 Is that considered a high RHR?? Mine is normally around 80. When I’m having an episode of these fast heart rates it sometimes shoots up into the 150s and the dr has since realized it even goes higher than that and I haven’t realized it!!! I now have an implanted heart monitor so they can try to figure out what’s going on. 

@writergal28 wrote:

My RHR goes up if I've eaten sodium-heavy meals (particularly if I eat out or get take-out).  We had our Christmas meal catered and ordered in quite a bit over the December holidays and my RHR was in the 70s for two weeks.  Then, around Chinese/Lunar New Year, my RHR was as high as 75!!!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@olivepig: You mean 75?  It's high for me.  It's high when your RHR normally rests in the mid to high 60s.  

Best Answer

Oh I see what you mean. Mine has gotten increasingly worse over the past couple of years. Now I have the monitor implanted and recently I got a call from the cardiologist letting me know I’ve had 85 episodes of over 140 bpm in 2 days. They don’t know why it’s happening. Hopefully they’ll figure it out soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

https://therootcauseprotocol.com/about/   
have a look. sorry i gotta run at this moment

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the exact same thing as you.

My RHR fluctuates but for about 70% of the time, it's between 76-82. My heart rate skyrockets after eating. I make sure I drink coconut water alongside the 1-2 liters I drink a day to make sure my electrolytes are good. I had a holter monitor for a day but haven't heard back from my cardiologist. It's like my heart reacts to everything. Climbing one flight of stairs is like running a marathon. I'm clocking HR 130 just doing laundry... the times I have gone to the ER for it, all my EKG's have been good. 

Still, it has caused the absolute worst panic for me. I feel like I can't get myself in better physical shape. I hope you get some answers and are kind enough to share them here. I also think there might be a hormonal component.

Might be good to note I'm Hypothyroid. (My levels are all in range though, so if it's contributing, I wouldn't know how.) Just wanted to say I hear you and understand and you are not alone. 

Best Answer

I'm not a doctor but the same thing happens to me (sudden drastic heart rate spikes). Its probably SVT. Its hard to catch mine on a holter monitor and it always resolves within a few minutes. I had it during pregnancy too. Yes, it also happens sometimes after I eat, though that is a little more unusual for me. My heart rate goes to about 105 after eating and I hate it. I've been on a low dose of propranolol, so now it usually won't go over 90. 

Best Answer
is it after you eat, after some physical exercise, as you just begin, or
any time even when you don't eat and just sit in one place?

--
*Cheers!*

*James*
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is the same, carbs make my heart race, fats keeps it steady.

Best Answer
0 Votes