Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR users: Increased heart rate after eating?

A lot of times after I eat dinner I will have a heart rate around 100-105.  My average rate is 71 per my dashboard.  Usually between 75-90 during the day.  

Anyone else notice increased heart rate after eating?  Should I have any concerns about going over 100?  I hear that it should always be under 100 if you are not active.  

Best Answer
180 REPLIES 180

Omeprazole will help if you have a stomach problem which could cause a very high heart rate after meals (the doctor will determine that), but in the long run if you keep on taking it, it might cause a B12 vitamin deficiency which is also dangerous - something I am currently going through.

Of course what I wrote in my original post is my story going through this, but it's only my word. Everybody should go to the doctor and get checked up to determine what the cause is, as I did. Ask the doctor questions if it's indeed related to the stomach and not the heart.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m avoiding taking PPIs as there’s is some research that they degrade the
endothelium in arteries.
But it’s not food in general, only high carb

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer

The second anterior vessel projection off of your descending abdominal aorta is called the superior mesenteric artery. After a meal, the small bowel requires a huge amount of vascularity for digestion. Therefore it has a huge demand off the aorta to feed the gut system. The only way to make up blood pressure drop is to increase the heart rate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, that helps my understanding a lot. I think I need to be sure to
eat modest portions and avoid significant physical effort after meals.

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

My "heart pounding"  journey began 7 months ago with zero help from my primary doctor.   I want the creator of this thread and all the responders to know how releived and grateful I am to hear about your experiences.  Like a sponge I'm soaking up all the advice.  Truly, it is indeed a miracle to learn there are many of you who suffer the same condition. xx

Best Answer
0 Votes
We are in it together ❤️ you are not alone.

In Health,
Sabrina Omar
Best Answer
Even though I don’t want anyone to suffer like this, I’m glad I am not alone. Like I’ve posted, the meds I’m on help immensely. Metoprolol.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey! You mentioned in an old post that your heart rate increases very high after eating. Mine does too!!! Do you happen to suffer from anxiety if you don’t mind me asking. I suffer from anxiety, and my heart rate increases after eating certain foods. I’ve been cleared by Cardio that my heart is normal. Hope you’re well! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Def suffer from anxiety 
Best Answer
0 Votes
I do have anxiety but this is not solely anxiety driven. I have noticed any food with potatoes in it does this to me.

In Health,
Sabrina Omar
Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have anxiety. And the racing heart after eating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you suffer from anxiety as well? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wait, sorry, I totally overlooked the fact that you already stated that you do suffer from anxiety. My apologies. Do you take meds for it? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
my racing heart and anxiety from hell i _think_ was caused by an ulcer
irritating my vegus nerve. was gassy a lot, and spastic bladder or colon
after eating. dizzy and bloated.

i stopped eating nuts, bread, and dairy for a while. sipped kombucha tea
regularily. things settled down. i eat bread and some milk, but day 3 on
nuts or peanut butter things start going downhill again.

anyhow, now my heart rate is more normal, i can eat normally again after 8
years of suffering, and NO anxiety attacks for 2 years now.

HR can go to 95-105 after hearty meal now. feel fine. used to go to
120-125, very uncomfortable, and if something in my colon slipped or
spasmed fast, boom, anxiety attack and hr 170. yuck. those days were
frustrating and scary. pretty good now though just not eating nuts. put
on some weight actually, but am out walking and playing squash. minimal
anxiety now without crazy heart crap, maybe twice a month. nothing that a
beer or two cant fix.

oh, nice to be able to think straight again. stupid nuts. grrrr
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I know this post is old, but wondering if you still have this problem? This happens to me and it’s exhausting! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I haven't had a major episode since changing my diet. I started out going whole foods only for maybe a week. Then slowly (one at a time) put in small amounts of other things like bread, or chips, a cookie etc... This helped me spot what specific foods cause me problems. I honestly feel that mine is connected to my liver. This condition is called Roemheld Syndrome By the way. Putting a name to it may help you better research. But I would honestly begin with diet. I was getting a heartrate as high as 167 after eating. I have not had one about 124 after eating in about a month. So maybe start with your diet and see if it helps. It will help right away if it's the cause. 
Hope this helps!
Best Answer

Yes thanks! At first it was like certain foods will cause it, but now it seems like it doesn’t really matter what I eat my heart just starts to feel like it wants to come out of my chest!!! I’ll have to really pay attention to my diet now. I suffer from anxiety and depression, so maybe It’s just my nerves.., who knows 

Best Answer
0 Votes

i stopped eating nuts, bread, and dairy for a while. sipped kombucha tea regularily. things settled down. i eat bread and some milk, but day 3 on nuts or peanut butter things start going downhill again.

anyhow, now my heart rate is more normal, i can eat normally again after 8 years of suffering, and NO anxiety attacks for 2 years now.

HR can go to 95-105 after hearty meal now. feel fine. used to go to 120-125, very uncomfortable, and if something in my colon slipped or spasmed fast, boom, anxiety attack and hr 170. yuck. those days were frustrating and scary. pretty good now though just not eating nuts. put on some weight actually, but am out walking and playing squash. minimal anxiety now without crazy heart crap, maybe twice a month. nothing that a beer or two cant fix.

oh, nice to be able to think straight again. stupid nuts. grrrr

Best Answer
0 Votes
Did you have hormones check? I suppose men can have hormones imbalances too.
I had erratic heart rates in my 30s it turned out to be premenopausal hormones out of whack. Never had the problem since. 82 now.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes