Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR users: Increased heart rate after eating?

A lot of times after I eat dinner I will have a heart rate around 100-105.  My average rate is 71 per my dashboard.  Usually between 75-90 during the day.  

Anyone else notice increased heart rate after eating?  Should I have any concerns about going over 100?  I hear that it should always be under 100 if you are not active.  

Best Answer
180 REPLIES 180

My normal resting heart rate hovers between 80-95 BPM. I should add, I have subclinical hyperthyroidism. This means that I have a low TSH level but the Free T3 and T4 are normal. I have thyroid nodules which are responsible for this. Have you had your thyroid checked? I would have a thyroid panel done and ask them to send you a copy of the results so you can see what they really are. Because with subclinical hyperthyroidism, the doctors will tell you that your thyroid is normal when it is definitely NOT. Or if you want to avoid the doctors office order an at home thyroid test. Everlywell has a reliable one. It's around $150. You order it, collect the blood sample, return it and they email you a link to check your results. Then if the results are abnormal you can choose whether to try and get them to do something about it. Anyhoo, the hyperthyroid issue makes my heart rate higher, and I do have bouts of tachycardia. I have a very low tolerance for exercise. 

Best Answer

No my normal resting is around 63. That’s why I became so scared when it would jump to 150 after I ate sometimes. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No I am on the borderline of Hypo. My TSH is around 3.5 and I know they diagnose hypo around 5. My gyno told me though if I ever want to have a baby I need to go on a thyroid medicine to bring my TSH down. I really am trying to hold off for as long as I can though.

Best Answer

Sorry, that comment about the heart rate was meant to be a reply to sweetpoison. I should have specified that in the remark. My apologies. 

Best Answer

From my experience, I would get an opinion from an endocrinologist as opposed to the gyno. When my thyroid issue was discovered it was in my second pregnancy. The gyno saw my low TSH and said my thyroid was under functioning, when in fact it was over functioning. If they medicate you to speed up your thyroid when you may not need it, you will end up with a rough pregnancy, and it can also be dangerous. The thyroid kicks up in the first trimester. So it's better to get pregnant first, then see what the thyroid is doing. For that reason, Borderline hypothyroidism may not be an issue in the first trimester at the very least.

Best Answer
0 Votes
  • No worries 
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am back to offer a little more of what I have found on this. I understand it is an old thread, but the responses compel me to share this. I posted my info about the Roemheld Syndrome (AKA Gastrocardia or gastric cardia) I read a bit where it seems that the liver and/or gallbladder can be a cause of this high heart rate after meals or snacks. I do notice that if I eat only meat, my heart rate does not increase so much. Not even up to 100 bpm. Milk Thistle is a known remedy for liver  and gall bladder problems. I used to take it back when I felt pain in my gallbladder. My doctor would not listen to me about the gall bladder pain so I sought home remedies instead. Well, it's been a very long time since I took Milk Thistle. I never honestly paid attention to how it affected my heart rate, because I wasn't very focused on that part of the remedy. However lately I did think about it. Well, lo and behold I began taking the Milk Thistle again yesterday. One capsule 30 minutes before meals. My heart rate did not sky rocket, and as a bonus my heart rate was a little lower through the day in general. I am going to keep taking it to see if this is a fluke or not. But perhaps this will help someone here with their high heart rate after eating. 

Best Answer
Very good thank you,I shall try this.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer

That happens to me too. Never talked to my doctor about it. Have you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope somebody is still following this post. Do any of you by chance have stress/anxiety? I do and yesterday after eating my heart rate stayed around the 135 bpm for around 3 hours. It sent me into panic mode.. is this normal? My just sitting normal hr is 88 

Best Answer

Keto diet really helps with high heartbeat after taking food.

Plus Gaba for relaxation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have dealt with anxiety as well as panic attacks for about 25 years. The heart rate after eating only came up about 10 years ago. I posted this link further up so you may not have seen it unless you read every comment, so here it is for you : https://www.fixyourgut.com/roemheld-syndrome-stomach-heart-issues-relief/

This is an actual syndrome with a number of causes. I discovered that taking milk thistle 30 minutes. before meals helped me considerably. I recommend finding the lowest dose capsule because I found it made me have sweaty hands and feet with a higher dose. If you chose to take milk thistle do not take it unless you plan to eat within the hour of taking it as taken without food can cause low blood sugar.

Mean while pay attention to what happens when you eat certain foods. I find that there are some things that seriously cause my heart rate to sky rocket, while other foods have no effect. So just jot down your meal and what your heart rate goes to and for how long. Usually 2-3 hours is what it takes for the stomach to empty so that's about how long the heart rate may remain high. Also, chew very thoroughly and do not eat too quickly. These also seem to have an effect.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine seems to be related to what I eat. High carb meals are definitely
worst.

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

My doctor seems to think I have anxiety--but I have been struggling to start a new career for the last two years so, I think that is normal.  However, since I was prescribed Metroprolol, my bought of tachycardia have been greatly reduced.  It took more than two years to get diagnosed.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Although the medication Metoprolol has been helping and I have not been officially diagnosed with this syndrome, reading the information from your link was like reading my life for the past three years.  I have had multiple surgeries, have adhesions, and been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia.  Although it has been more than 10 years since my last surgery and 15 years with the HH diagnosis, the symptoms did not being until 2016 or 2017.  I had a complete cardiac workup and was only found to have intermittent tachycardia, which I knew.  I finally saw a cardiologist who prescribed the med.  Ironically, on my own, I determined that I was lacking in magnesium (I also craved foods that were rich in magnesium, I guess my body knew) and decided to take milk thistle as a supplement.  I also got rid of gluten,  Originally I did it just to support my daughter-in-law because she had to go gluten-free, but I found that I felt better. My symptoms have improved, but I still have to be careful.  Salty foods (breakfast foods or fast food) will do it every time. Thank you for the information.  It was extremely helpful. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My personal observation is increased resting heart rate to 70 when i go in to cheat mode and have High carb diet, whenever I switch to keto and go on high fat diet, my resting heart rate gradually drops to 55,does anyone has a explanation on this ???

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an increased heart rate after eating for years.

My resting heart rate is 65-75. But after a meal it reaches up to 100-110. Very rare times I get it up to 120-125 - and that makes me feel uncomfortable and dizzy.

I visited my cardiologist. He told me that an increased heart rate after eating is normal, because the heart pumps extra blood to help with the digestion. But he also told me that if I do get those 120-125s it is very possible I might have a problem with my stomach.

So I followed my cardio's advice and visited another speciality doctor for the stomach. I did have some indigestion problems back then, so I thought it was a opportunity to visit. That doctor gave me some stomach pills for a 3 month treatment... on the 3rd or 4th day taking those pills my problems were all solved... no indigestions, and the maximum my heart rate went up after eating was about 90-95...worst and very rare about 105. That solved it all.

I did not follow full treatment, my mistake, I stopped in about 1 month. When I "feel" fine I have the bad habit to quit any treatment, probably since I don't have problems I forget to follow the treatment and I let it go.....so....

after I stopped the increased heart rate up to 120-125 returned.........

that's all. I hope I was helpful sharing my side of the story.

thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
What pills did he give you? If you don’t mind me asking.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Omeprazole

Best Answer
0 Votes

Re “omeprazole”
Do you mean it will help, or cause the problem? (I don’t take it)

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes