Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR users: Increased heart rate after eating?

A lot of times after I eat dinner I will have a heart rate around 100-105.  My average rate is 71 per my dashboard.  Usually between 75-90 during the day.  

Anyone else notice increased heart rate after eating?  Should I have any concerns about going over 100?  I hear that it should always be under 100 if you are not active.  

Best Answer
180 REPLIES 180

Yes I'm wondering this to. If I eat at night cuz I still got calories in my budget I eat and my resting heart rate climbs but I feel great the next day. It's all so confusing. 

Best Answer

Mine just jumped over a 100 after eating. Hope it’s ok.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is been happening to me for almost 2 years and I’ve gone through a battery of tests, and all have been inconclusive. I’m going to the doctor next week to try again.   I find it happens more after higher salt content and most likely carb heavy, but it is inconsistent and it’s getting to be a real drag. I actually googled this problem to find some answers and ended up on this thread. At least I’m not the only one and I’m not crazy apparently.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Fitbit may not be perfect but it has helped me find out that my heart rate was increasing and I was monitored for a solid month  and it was pretty darn accurate.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find that my heart rate increases after eating spicier foods.  I had Indian last night and my heart rate overnight was mostly in the 70s!  My HR while sleeping is usually in the 60s, often low to mid-60s.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have almost the exact same thing happen to me. My resting is around 70 but while/after eating it is between 100-105. I read that overeating causes the body to work harder which increases the rate.

Best Answer

UPDATE:  I met with a cardiologist last week.  He looked over my tests (ones that my primary said were not out of the ordinary) and saw the spikes in my heart rate that I was experiencing.  He said this condition was "not in my head" and is not uncommon and often anatomically related.  Filling the stomach can cause pressure upwards, so yes, it is important not to overeat.  It also could be related to carbs--too much sugar released into the system at once.  I don't seem to have a significant problem with the carbs, for me its is more the heavy, salt-laden meals which are the typical restaurant fare.  So.  He prescribed a really low dose of metoprolol (and told me to eat responsibly, which I think we can all appreciate).  So far, it has been MUCH better.  My tachycardia is not nearly has high (more like the 90's instead of 110 or more) and so those episodes don't wear me out and make me feel crappy like before. Its not a cure, but at least it is more livable. I got rid of gluten, which helped too.  Whenever I give in and eat gluten, I put on weight right away, so I think I will just try to live without sandwiches....*sigh.    

Best Answer

I've noticed this sometimes and I think for me at least it's indigestion. if I take a couple tums it goes away really quickly. I have gerd and I get tachycardia when I lay down in bed sometimes too. also cured fairly quickly with a couple tums.  I've had a couple tachycardia scares in general. been to er been to a cardiologist. everything looked normal for me.  I also have panic attacks which are more of the reason i ended up in er but definitely add to tachardia but perhaps not related to food based hr. 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I created an account for the sole purpose of sharing this with you. I suffer with the same problem. It is maddening. After I eat my heart rate will often shoot up to 130-140. Slowly over the course of about 2 hours it goes back down. When I was searching for an answer to this your thread here came up in a Google search. I read every comment hoping for an answer and bookmarked it so I could check back. Today I finally came across something helpful. 

There is a condition called Roemheld Syndrome. https://www.fixyourgut.com/roemheld-syndrome-stomach-heart-issues-relief/

Today my first meal of the day I went in very slowly. I took a single bite and waited a minute or two before taking another bite. Being sure to chew well. I do have a habit of wolfing down my food. At any rate I took about 30 minutes to actually finish my food. My breakfast was a small amount of leftover sweet potato streusel , about three bites worth. Two Wasa Rye Crispbread crackers topped with two scrambled eggs and cheese, with a teaspoon of olive oil mixed in before I scrambled them. Usually I eat this and my heart does beat very fast. Today I did not have the racing heart after being sure to eat slowly. I still had a sort of nervous or anxious feeling, but nothing like what I usually get. My heart rate stayed around 80 BPM instead of shooting up and taking two hours to return to normal. 

I hope this helps you and everyone else who have this terrible problem. I have days where I avoid food entirely because I dread the postprandial tachycardia. If you are like me and cannot get a doctor to listen to you in regards to this, you may simply need to seek out your own self help. Please let me know if you get yours sorted out! 

Best Answer
Thank you! Excellent information! And usually doctors frequently want to do a string of unrelated tests. (Support the medical Industry!)
Best Answer

Hi Nixie, 

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm the original creator of the post - who shared my challenge with this issue almost a year ago. 

I think your method of eating VERY slowly and practicing 'mindful eating' is an intentional way of reducing the problem we experience. I'm going to try this also.So often I'm in a rush and eating fast. When I originally posted this thread, I NEVER expected so many people to chime in with the same experience and/or share their ideas and thoughts. I hope the mindful eating continues to work well. Thanks again for sharing. - Felicia

Best Answer

Nytrip911-

Hi there! I just wanted to say thank you for responding and chiming in with your experience on this topic. Although I would never wish anything bad or uncomfortable on someone else, It's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm also really glad you found a solution to the problem. Keep us posted and let us know how the medication continues to work over time. Wishing you well - thanks again. 

-Felicia

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I found a cardiac doctor on YouTube who believes in Cardiac-Gastro syndrome. It put my mind at ease and I just keep a log in my head of the foods that I eat that trigger this reaction. And yes eating slower definitely helps. You are not in it alone. I lost 40lbs because of how scared I was to eat! And today I have gained about 15 pounds back! Just be aware of what you eat and how fast you eat it lol. ❤️ Good luck!

In Health,
Sabrina Omar
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I found a cardiac doctor on YouTube who believes in Cardiac-Gastro syndrome. It put my mind at ease and I just keep a log in my head of the foods that I eat that trigger this reaction. And yes eating slower definitely helps. You are not in it alone. I lost 40lbs because of how scared I was to eat! And today I have gained about 15 pounds back! Just be aware of what you eat and how fast you eat it lol. ❤️ Good luck!

Best Answer

Good call mentioning that sometimes it's what we eat. I can have a few potato chips and be ruined for a while. Potatoes in general don't have this effect, but something like potato chips specifically do. Must be something in the oils or preservatives I am guessing. So it pays to make a note of what foods seem to always cause it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

While I wouldn't wish this issue on anyone, I was glad to see that others also experience this. It helped me feel less like I was losing my mind! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. This all make sense, and seems very plausible.
I’m off to do more research:-)

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer

Wow, potato chips are my worst food!
I feel so unwell after them.

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer

I can not eat potatoes at all in any form. They will make me so sick and I cut out gluten. Processed sugar does it to me to. I believe anything that can cause excessive bloating and gas are the enemy. 

Best Answer

So you had a normal resting heartrate of around 100 and doc was not concerned....I ask because that's kinda where I am at

Best Answer