Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think of the Keto diet?

ANSWERED

I am thinking of changing my eating lifestyle. I have looked into the Keto diet. Have you had success with it if you have tried it?

Best Answer
0 Votes
66 REPLIES 66

Hey @ScottHsv -- welcome to the quarrel.  To paraphrase Frederick the Great on artillery, thanks for bringing dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl.

I think you make an important distinction -- Keto is not about Atkins or animal products.  It's about ketosis, enabled by a diet high in fat and low in protein and carbs, regardless of source.  People who eat ketogenically can get their fat exclusively from plant-based sources if they prefer.  In fact, plant-based fat is more efficient to use because it's not attached to protein.

Great link from Dr. Greger on this point -- it does not seem he agrees with the dogmatic nonsense, "keto is unhealthy".

So Atkins is a strawman, but it's fun to invoke his name as it induces bunched panties in all the right people.  Atkins offended the mainstream healthcare and nutrition establishments and they've never forgiven him.  Vegan activists maliciously misrepresented the cause of his death I interpret sites like Atkins Exposed as another chapter of The Orthodoxy Strikes Back (although it looks like t has not been updated since 2005, before deceitful vegan historical revisionism was exposed).

But Atkins is beside the point -- keto is about ketosis, not Atkins nor animal-based foods.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Dave! Thanks for the kinds words! I always want to hear other people's opinions that are different than mine. First, I find that I may learn something if I just listen and stay open-minded. Second, they usually make some good points that I have probably not considered. That's the beauty of an academic discussion when people of differing opinions find common ground and seek truth together. The truest intent of science is to follow the evidence wherever that may lead you, even when the conclusion my conflict with your own biases. The funny thing is that, for me, following a plant-based diet represented exactly that. I grew up on a hard-working farm where my family raised animals for food. I also truly believed that I absolutely had to have meat with every meal to make sure I was getting enough protein. Obviously I have radically changed my opinions because I consider myself to be a Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) eater. Since switching to this lifestyle I have lost over 70lbs and my total cholesterol has gone from 290 to 146, so I guess I'm doing something right, even if by sheer dumb luck.   

But to bring your point home, the reason we are all here is because we are seeking better health. I try to never let perfection be the enemy of the good. So while I think the overall balance of evidence would indicate that WFPB is the gold standard, if you want to continue to seek your goals using a low-carb diet, I would invite you to consider achieving ketosis on a plant-based diet instead of one that is animal based.  I would argue that the evidence I presented earlier from the Harvard study would indicate that you would be much, much better off than on traditional Atkins, and even a healthy step up from the standard american diet (SAD). 

Again, best of luck on your journey!

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Charge 4, Aria 2 Scale
Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

I like Dr. McGregor and he is one of the Doctors I follow.

Let's look a little deeper at this study. You can find it here. Go all the way to near bottom, and you can see that Solae, Loblaw and some others funded the study. Solae makes soy products. Loblaw is just a grocery and other stuff store. See if you can detect how the study was structured to make the soy products look better. 

Let's examine the diets. The regular diet was what the people ate before the study. It resulted in a group whose average total cholesterol  was 261 for the both groups. This was reduced to 250 for the high carb group and 235 for the low carb group. (I converted to mg/dl.)

The Low Carb group substitute mock vegetable fats for meat fats. The high carb group was lacto-ovo vegetarian. Milk products and eggs do much more to increase cholesterol levels than meat. The actual mechanism is not precisely known. In other words, it may be the meat protein that increases the risk more than the fat. 

Neither one of these changes would have made a significant dent in their risk. Keep in mind 32% of the heart attacks occur in people with total cholesterol between 150 and 200. 200 is considered "normal" in the United States.

The other numbers are really irrelevant. 

It pays to read studies that have occurred in the past 100 years or so in order that you can detect when someone is repeating an old experiment. In 1980, Nathan Pritikin published some private papers outlining his research on various studies. You can find these on Dr. McDougall's site. The study found you could lower total cholesterol to about 200 by drinking a cup (maybe it was a half cup) of corn oil a day. However, it did not reduce the risk of heart attacks. 

There is more. The Framingham study started in 1948 with 15,000 participants. Since then, there have been two more cohorts consisting of the children and grandchildren. In that whole time, there has not been a single death from a heart attack for people whose cholesterol was below 150, a goal easily attainable by most eating a whole food plant based diet. Dr. Campbell elaborated on this. Some people won't get that low, but as long as they stick to the way of eating, they are safe.

Had this study compared their low-carb diet to the WFPB way of eating, the chances of dying from a heart attack would have been infinitely higher in comparison.  

Back to Dr. McGregor. Many people transition away from meat to a vegetarian diet by substituting mock meat products for meat. It's how I started. Now, I don't even try to imitate meat, but if I did, I'd make my own vege-burgers out of beans and some other stuff. 

Hey GershonSurge! Thank you for adding some insightful points to a very interesting discussion. First, I had not looked that closely at the two studies referenced in Dr. Greger's video. After reviewing your points, I would have to agree with you that the second reference is suspect because of the funding source. Even Dr. Greger mentioned that the study was inconclusive because it only followed the participants for a month and also called the diet a "vegan junk food diet". However, the main reference (the Harvard study) does not appear to suffer form the same apparent bias (it was funded by the NIH). 

I guess my point is that while I think you and I would agree that the best available balance of evidence would indicate that a diet based on whole plant foods is best, even "gold standard"; the evidence also shows a clear "gradient" of benefit as one progressively moves from animal-based to plant based. In other words, if one of my friends or family members were resolutely intent to pursue a ketogenic diet, then the best I could do is convince them to do it plant-based. I think you are correct that the Harvard study (at least my brief perusal) did not show the "eco-Atkins" diet as compared to WFPB.  It was however compared to traditional Atkins and the Standard American Diet (SAD). The analysis clearly showed a significant and measurable benefit (as measured by all-cause mortality) over both "eco-Atkins" and SAD.

So, here is my bottom line. In my opinion, the very best diet for anyone is....(drum roll please)...whichever diet gets them to eat the most plants!! As they say, never let perfection be the enemy of the good...

Again, thanks for your insight. Those were some great points you made that were very astute. 

Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll throw my $.02 in here to the original post.   I started dabbling with keto / IF last fall and made it through the whole holiday season losing weight where I typically can easily gain 15 pounds (not proud).  Anyway, starting January 1st I fully committed to Keto and scaled back on the IF based on some "experts" I started following.  Do I like Keto?   YES.   I was an admitted carboholic.  Rice, white potatoes, soda were my addictions.  I also said I could take or leave bread/pasta but when I tried to cut them out, I'd crave them.  However, I was getting tired of how I felt all day with the crashes of energy....eat something to feel better...crash again...repeat, repeat.  I found Keto fairly easy to adapt to  but I want to suggest that you do your research before you just jump into this way of eating.   It's not the lose-all-the-weight-quick diet that lots of people suggest.  Sure, in the beginning you'll lose all the water weight that the starchy carbs encourage your body to hold but after that I have found my body slower to lose weight (on the scale).   I hired a trainer and started working on building muscle instead which may be a part of the slowing on the scale and I'm ok with that.  I have no support system and I do receive a fair amount of flack from people that don't understand what keto is all about.   My benefits are the same as I've read here:  increased energy, mental clarify is amazing, moods are awesome...no crankiness from sugar-crashing, just got a complete bloodwork done and my doctor was very impressed.   She doesn't say too much about my keto lifestyle but she hasn't knocked it either which I appreciate!

Best Answer

Eliyahu Goldratt was a physicist who wrote business novels about how to improve production line efficiency and for awhile were required reading in business schools around the country. He developed a method called "Evaporating the cloud" which stated that all conflicts occur at the level of assumptions.

Let's look at our assumptions:

1. We are all interested in better health.

2. We will carefully examine each other's sources.

@Daves_Not_Here, you are violating the second assumption, so our conflict can never be resolved. I've recommended source material which you refuse to read. Meanwhile, I've carefully studied almost every research report people have suggested. Yesterday, @Bogdel recommended "Eat to Live" by Dr. Furhman. I bought the book and read it entirely. I also studied the Eco-Keto report. In other words, I spent most of my time yesterday on the topic. I agreed with most of the things in Dr. Furhman's book, but I do have a couple minor questions.

There is no evidence in the eco-keto study that even suggests any of the participants went into ketosis. In fact, given the amount of plant or animal fat in the diets, it's unlikely any of them went into ketosis. The keto people seem to think there are no carbs in non-starchy vegetables. By percentage, it's probably about 60 to 80% of the calories eaten. You voiced the opinion that any diet that gets you to eat more plants is good. I'll rephrase it in an important way. Any diet that substitutes a tiny amount of vegetables for the obvious junk in the Standard American Diet will improve markers of degenerative disease. However, this small amount is not likely to improve long-term health.

You made the statement that NIH funding is a sign of a good study. It used to be, up until about 1980. However, there are 28 institutes in the NIH, but no institute of nutrition. The NIH is infested with people with ties to the meat and dairy industry, pharmaceutical industry and food industry. There is a more insidious element that most don't recognize; that is the emphasis on reductionist thinking. It has gotten to the point of ridiculous. For example, there are approximately 10,000 phytochemicals in every bite of vegetables you eat. (Phytochemicals are biologically active.) There are 200,000 enzymes in every cell, and they are changing every nanosecond. Yet reductionist thinking says to study a single one of these in isolation to find a "cure." What they really mean is "to find a product they can sell." 

A study generally will not get funded unless there is a product to sell at the other end. I didn't know this until recently when I studied "Whole" by Dr. Campbell. Today, it would be impossible to do anything near what he did in the China Study. In fact, it's not even possible for doctors to recommend a diet as it doesn't fit into "best practices." Any who do risk a lawsuit or even criminal prosecution in the 19 states that have food disparagement laws. 

Dave, it has gotten to the point where everything you post is wrong because you don't do your research. All you do is look at headlines. I don't mean to offend, but it is true.

Great link from Dr. Greger on this point -- it does not seem he agrees with the dogmatic nonsense, "keto is unhealthy".

Actually, you are orders of magnitude wrong. If you would read his book, "How Not to Die!" he doesn't respond to questions like "is a white potato good." What he asks is "Is it the best thing I can eat?" and will opt for a sweet potato instead. He doesn't touch a bit of food outside the WFPB concept.

Unfortunately, your blatantly false statements waste space and cost time to respond to.

So Atkins is a strawman, but it's fun to invoke his name as it induces bunched panties in all the right people.  Atkins offended the mainstream healthcare and nutrition establishments and they've never forgiven him.  

Again, blatantly false. The mainstream healthcare and nutrition establishments embrace him because he increased meat and dairy sales and took the attention away from the focus on fat. Do your homework instead of voicing unsupported opinions. 

Vegan activists maliciously misrepresented the cause of his death I interpret sites like Atkins Exposed as another chapter of The Orthodoxy Strikes Back (although it looks like t has not been updated since 2005, before deceitful vegan historical revisionism was exposed).

Again, blatantly false. One of the doctors I follow simply asked the hospital for a copy of his medical records. At this time, it was a perfectly acceptable practice. Adkins had advanced heart disease and probably died of congestive heart failure and not a knock on the head from falling. The family claimed he was 185 pounds, but he was about 260 pounds when he died. Then the family claimed he gained 55 pounds overnight from water retention.

Frankly, I see no further point on going on with this discussion as it's keeping me from doing other important activities, and we aren't making any progress. 

Best Answer

Hey GershonSurge, I promise you are not wasting your time. You are educating; me included. I fully admit I have a lot to learn. This particular topic is one that I feel is especially important because so many Americans and others around the world are attracted to a diet that allows them to eat as much meat and dairy as they want. Then they start to feel the effects of ketosis and make the dangerous assumption that the euphoric feeling of ketosis means that they are getting healthier. In fact, so much evidence now exists that the opposite is happening for a multitude of reasons. I personally know a number of people on the diet, and several more that have said to me "this is the perfect diet for me, I can eat bacon and eggs all I want!". Honestly, I try my best to be gentle with the people, but in reality I am very afraid for them. By pushing people to a more plant based option, I hope I am not doing them a disservice, but instead hopefully helping them make a choice that could realistically save their lives. Maybe your approach is is the best, just tell them the truth that a WHPB diet is the way to go.

In terms your comments, I think it's interesting your position on reductionist thinking. This way of thinking is what keeps the vitamin industry cooking along convincing people that they can undo the effects of their diet if they simply take some individual vitamins. I have fallen prey to this thinking myself for years but not any longer. I think Dr. Campbell's book "Whole" will be next on my reading list. 

Another point to make is that discussions like this really force me to open up and re-examine my position. I love the way you are digging into the individual studies and drawing your own conclusions. As usual, I am learning and enjoying the process.

Again, your previous comments are insightful and on point.

Best Answer

@GershonSurge - Brother.  You are doing that thing that you do again.

Your quotes, that I'm not making up:

• "You voiced the opinion that any diet that gets you to eat more plants is good."  Nope, never said it.  That was some other eminently more reasonable person, maybe @ScottHsv ? 
  • "You made the statement that NIH funding is a sign of a good study."  Nope, never said it.  I have no opinion on the relationship between NIH funding and study quality.  A smarter person than me must have said that. 
  • "your blatantly false statements waste space and cost time to respond to."  Please continue to waste your time responding, if only for the entertainment value.
  • "you are orders of magnitude wrong"  I like to do things in a big way.
  • "Do your homework instead of voicing unsupported opinions."  Yessir, whatever you say, sir.  If you tell me to jump, I just need to know how high.

• "I see no further point on going on with this discussion as it's keeping me from doing other important activities"  Is this a promise or a threat?  You have more important things to do than rage incoherently at the keyboard?

All that from one post!  One gem from a previous post (that I'm not making up)

• "... for a truly valid study the participants have to switch sides"  (?!?!?!)  Of all the whoppers you have told, this is one of the whoppiest!  So you think The China Study and every other study that supports your position are invalid because the participants didn't "switch sides"?  (Hint for making bald-**ahem** false assertions:  disguise the nonsense from being so transparently self-evident)

Dude.  When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

I'm thinking it's a nutritional imbalance.  Maybe cut down on the angry greens and pissy root.  Have a glass of merlot and a nice juicy ribeye and you'll feel much better.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Daves_Not_Here,

You are right. I did make two incorrect attributions about things @ScottHsv said. I apologize for that.

As I said, it's pointless to continue this discussion. I wish you well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ScottHsv wrote:

if you want to continue to seek your goals using a low-carb diet, I would invite you to consider achieving ketosis on a plant-based diet instead of one that is animal based.  I would argue that the evidence I presented earlier from the Harvard study would indicate that you would be much, much better off than on traditional Atkins, and even a healthy step up from the standard american diet (SAD). 

Again, best of luck on your journey!

Thanks @ScottHsv -- I'm inclined to agree with you, and find your sources to be persuasive.  I've been increasing vegetables, not so much out of a concern about animal products, but because I want to get more fiber and nutrients from foods.

The way I look at it, I've got 2 buckets to fill with keto:  (1) fat, which is 75% of calories, and (2) carbs + protein, which is 25%.  That means if I eat 2,400 calories per day, I need to selectively load my 600 calorie carbs/protein bucket.  Too much animal protein leaves too little room for other nutrients and fiber.  Non-starchy vegetables do the trick.  So I'm able to have vegetables at every meal and remain in ketosis.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Congratulations Dave,

One of Dr. Campbell's findings was that a person who eats meat accelerates the growth of cancer and other diseases by adding vegetable oils. 

@ScottHsv,

The Harvard study is a six month update to the Eco-diet study. Harvard did the data analysis.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

Congratulations Dave,

One of Dr. Campbell's findings was that a person who eats meat accelerates the growth of cancer and other diseases by adding vegetable oils. 

@ScottHsv,

The Harvard study is a six month update to the Eco-diet study. Harvard did the data analysis.

@GershonSurge For clarity, since admittedly I have not delved into the study in-depth, are you saying that the Harvard study did not collect their own data, but merely provided an analysis of data provided by the industry-funded study? If that's the case, I would then have to agree with you that the study doesn't really pass the smell test.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ScottHsv,

I wasn't trying to imply that Harvard's involvement lessoned the validity of the study. It's not unusual to have one group collect data and another analyze it. Often, it improves the validity of the study. Virtually every study stands on the shoulders of previous studies. 

The Eco-Atkins Diet study seems to be a repeat of a study done by the same people in 2009. They may be different submissions of the same study with a bit different wording. That's not unusual either.

We always have to ask if there is something much better when we read a study. It turns out there is: 

McDougall's retrospective study.

You have to read this carefully to compare. The McDougall diet improved biomarkers more in seven days than the Eco-Atkins diet did in six months. The exception is weight, which is understandable. Compare your weight loss over any six month period to form an opinion. Also, look at how great your lipids are.

Past my bedtime. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok @GershonSurge now you have really peaked my interest for several reasons. I have never really been interested in doing an Atkins-style diet, but I have been known to include "vegan junk food" in my diet on a more regular basis than I would like to admit (I love my spinach, kale, Gardein chicken strip and vegan italian dressing salads). I have always considered my inclusion of these foods as a bit of an indulgence. In addition, after viewing Dr. Greger's video, I considered the evidence presented to mean that including these foods would not harm my health. Admittedly, their inclusion also means that I am displacing WFPB foods of far superior nutritional value, which means that there is an opportunity-cost to their inclusion. 

At this point, I would like to take some time to really dig into the evidence and see if anything jumps out at me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ScottHsv,

If you read "Whole" slowly and carefully, you will find there is no such thing as knowing the mechanism for anything. This way of eating prevents, arrests and cures virtually all degenerative diseases. Any effect on contagious diseases is not proven to my knowledge, but they are mostly controlled by sanitation.

All the experts we follow agree not to include vegetable oils. They do know that vegetable oil in the presence of animal foods increases the growth rate of cancer. They also know the way of eating only works if most of the food is in its natural state. 

I'll give you an example of a "mechanism" Dr. Campbell discovered with liver cancer and aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is present in most foods, but especially in moldy peanuts. You don't have to eat the moldy one -- just one that came in contact with the moldy one.

In the presence of meat protein in excess of 20% of calories consumed (the actual number is likely close to 13%) it causes cancer.

Now for the mechanism. Dr. Campbell discovered an enzyme called MRO. For plant eaters, it kills cancer. Meat eaters, it causes cancer to grow. Enzymes morph largely by changing shape and they change every nanosecond. Think of it like a Rubik's cube where only the squares on the surface cause an effect. At the time, Dr. Campbell thought they morphed every millisecond. In the presence of animal protein, an epoxide attaches to the enzyme which causes it to attach to the DNA of cells and encourage them to grow. That's when he threw up his hands and basically said that there is no way to predict anything. 

People don't understand the magnitude of the China Study. It was only discussed in one chapter of "Whole." It took 800 man-years of work just to gather the data and to analyze associations. That's it. It doesn't prove anything. Dr. Campbell made that quite clear in one of his videos. It only gave direction for future studies.

Let's measure the opportunity cost. A Gardein Chicken strip weighs 100 grams and has 140 calories. Here are the ingredients:

gardein chick’n: water, soy protein isolate*, vital wheat gluten*, yeast extract, natural flavors (from plant sources), organic cane sugar, expeller pressed/canola oil, sea salt, onion powder, pea protein, carrot fiber, extractives of paprika & tumeric. *non-genetically engineered soy and wheat.

As a McDonald's lawyer said when asked before congress if McDonald's served ANY healthy food. "Our Coke has water in it." For the sake of 140 calories of non-nutritive food, a person would give up about a pound and a half of nutrient rich vegetables in their natural state.

Now for the next question often asked: "How much can I cheat a day and still be healthy." My answer would be "The research doesn't support any cheating." Do I cheat. Yeah, about once every two weeks, I go through a bag of potato chips. I'm not claiming to be perfect. I have an egg maybe once a month. I don't eat any meat. Sometimes I have fried potatoes at home. 

The bottom line is the plant-based diets recommended by the plant-based experts are essentially the same if you dig a bit to resolve the minor differences. They work without question. If someone wants to eat differently, I'm getting to the point where I'll go make a plate of food instead of responding to unproven diets.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ScottHsv,

You asked if there is anything in the Eco-Atkins that will hurt you.

The Eco-Atkins diet reduced all cause mortality by 25% based on LDL scores. Let's look at heart disease. About 40% of Americans die from heart disease. Reducing it by 25% would reduce this number to 30%. 

Look at the WFPB diet. Deaths from heart disease are virtually non-existent.  Switching from the WFPB diet would increase the relative risk by Eco/WFPB = OO.

Conclusion: There must be something in the Eco-Atkins diet that will harm us.

Best Answer

@GershonSurge You must be a bus driver, because you just took me to school! In all seriousness, it has been a long time since I have read the China Study, and I remember the Aflatoxin example, but I must have forgotten the point about vegetable fats enhancing the growth of cancer in the presence of animal protein (although you did say that was in Whole). Thank you for bringing that back to my attention. In fact, don't be too discouraged, you've caused me to re-examine my own diet and make changes. I actually just made that salad for lunch and used black beans instead of Gardein "chicken".

As a former foodie, I would have loved for someone to invent the Krispy Kreme diet, then summarily prove that it's healthy. My former self would have similarly loved for someone to tell me I could eat all the eggs, bacon and steak I wanted. We've said this before but I think reason that Atkins is so seductive is because it tells us what we want to hear. But unfortunately in the real world, truth matters.... 

Hopefully you'll stick around, I'm enjoying our conversations.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

@ScottHsv,

You asked if there is anything in the Eco-Atkins that will hurt you.

The Eco-Atkins diet reduced all cause mortality by 25% based on LDL scores. Let's look at heart disease. About 40% of Americans die from heart disease. Reducing it by 25% would reduce this number to 30%. 

Look at the WFPB diet. Deaths from heart disease are virtually non-existent.  Switching from the WFPB diet would increase the relative risk by Eco/WFPB = OO.

Conclusion: There must be something in the Eco-Atkins diet that will harm us.

You just stated exactly what i was going to dig in and resolve for myself. I agree with your assessment. In fact it reminds me of the Adventist 2 study that examined 96,0000 people in the following categories: non-vegetarian, semi-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian and full vegan. The result was that for every step-wise direction a population made toward being full-on vegans, the lower the all-cause mortality. It was a beautiful illustration of the progressive benefit one can achieve the more you move away from animal products and toward plant-based eating. But back to the current discussion; since the Adventist 2 didn't have a category for "junk food vegans" I was wondering where that group would fall in the overall scheme. I think this Harvard study along with your observations, have helped to somewhat elucidate that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ScottHsv,

It was only in about November that I learned the value of anti-oxidants. It was a combination of Dr. Gregor and Dr. Esselstyn that explained it. I just read "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman, and he was quite clear.

For  his cardiac patients, Dr. Esselstyn recommends six meals a day with a fist-sized amount of cooked vegetables from the cruciferous family. Dr. Gregor explained that the bright colored vegetables have the most anti-oxidants. In "Eat to Live" Dr. Fuhrman recommends eating virtually all leafy vegetables. This is a source of contention between him and Dr. McDougall because it would be impossible to get enough calories by eating this way.. I saw a panel discussion where Dr. Fuhrman explained that "Eat to Live" was targeted towards those who had a lot of weight to lose and he recommends more starch on an individual basis for others.

I figured I wanted all my cells bathed in anti-oxidants all the time. I keep a pot of mixed grated vegetables and eat about a pound of them a day. It's not that expensive to make. About $1.50 to $1.70. 

There are substitutes for meat. Each day, I make a pot of rice and beans with a cup of rice and 29 ounces of beans. This makes a good filling for a sandwich as well as for burritos. I add the vegetable mix on the top. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge it sounds like you are into a really good plan! We may be getting off topic here, and at the risk of us going down another rabbit hole, but I see only one thing that you might want to consider, and that is rice consumption as a staple in your diet. I've been following Dr. Greger on this for a while now because rice was a staple in my family's diet for some time. We have since changed that after Dr. Greger published this video just a few months ago:

Do the Pros of Brown Rice Outweigh the Cons of Arsenic?

Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Doing Keto 3 months, down 21 lbs. Glucose way down. Was prediabetic, doctor says no longer!!!!!!!

Plenty of books and cookbooks on subject. Equip yourself and success will come easier. Pinterest has tons of recipes and info! I love it! I do miss bread and oatmeal though 😞

Best Answer