Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which are the benefits of eating breakfast?

Many studies have shown the health benefits of eating breakfast. It improves your energy levels and ability to concentrate in the short term, and can help with better weight management, reduced risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease in the long term.

What do you like eating for breakfast? I 

Leave your comments down...

Best Answer
52 REPLIES 52

@Gryllotalpa I couldn't agree more with you about this.  I have a walk-mad dog, so I take him out three times a day, with the first one (of about an hour, on average) is before I have breakfast.  I don't feel hungry on the walk, but breakfast tastes wonderful when I get home.

Best Answer

@YoBubba I make a lot of live yogurt and it's dead easy.  Buy a small tub of live yogurt to use as a starter, and mix a couple of teaspoonfuls per 500ml of milk.  Use a container with a lid.  I use whole milk, as it makes lovely creamy yogurt.  Heat (I microwave for 2 minutes, adding another 20 seconds for each additional container) to make it very slightly warm , then store in a warm (25C) place until set.  I usually let it have 24 hours, then put it in the fridge.  It takes a few minutes' work and saves quite a lot over buying it.  I usually make five or six containers from a small tub of yogurt, and although you could use some of what you have made for the next starter, I find it comes out better if I buy a new live yogurt tub.

Good luck, and maybe try it and let us now how you get on! 🙂 

Best Answer

@Vidd I actually purchased some kefir grains online before Christmas and I'm now making Kefir yoghurt twice a week!  It's totally easy and tastes so yummy!  I have a proofer for my sourdough, so I'm using that to keep the culture warm. I also can make fermented farmers cheese now; just letting it ferment another 12 hours after removing the kefir grains. The yoghurt separates into whey & solids and pressing it through a cheese cloth gives me the best cheese!  😍

Best Answer

Yo, @YoBubba , thanks for sharing that. I made a sourdough proofer and would like to make some Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt with berries have been a great healthy snack for me in my weight loss journey. I'll have to Google about kefir grains.

Best Answer

@Vidd -- I've been making my own yogurt for years. Your method sounds really easy. Mine is not too hard either. I heat the milk in a pot on the stove until it just starts to bubble, and then cool it down until it is warm to touch (in the winter, I just put the pot on the back porch with a towel over the top). Once the milk cools down I put in in quart mason jars with a tablespoon of starter, and screw on lids. Then I put it in a box dehydrator at 115F, and let it ferment for 6.5 hours. It sets up at about 4 hours at that temp, but it gets more taste (and culture I guess) if I let it go for another couple of hours. The longer you let it go, the tangier the taste. Definitely saves money.

Like you I use whole milk, but lowfat or nofat can work. For starter I use some from the last batch or I get plain unflavored yogurt at the store -- just about any brand will do, but it can be fun to try different ones as starters. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Could you please provide links for these "many studies?" Thank you.

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

I simply don't understand how people can skip the breakfast and able to do something. For me it is absolutely necessary to eat something healthy in order to make my brain working. I am learning a new language now and it seems even more important to eat those healthy things like nuts and avocados. The online translation services https://translationreport.com/top-10-translation-services is a great help for me, but the best motivation in this case is still a perfect healthy body.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't understand many things that people seem to be able to do. Like Calculus.

Best Answer

Eating breakfast has several benefits, including:

1. Boosting metabolism: Eating breakfast kickstarts your metabolism for the day, helping you burn calories more efficiently.

2. Improving cognitive function: Eating breakfast can help improve focus and concentration, making it easier to tackle tasks and be more productive throughout the day.

3. Controlling appetite: Eating breakfast can help control hunger throughout the day, reducing the likelihood of overeating later on.

4. Providing essential nutrients: Eating a nutritious breakfast can help provide the body with essential vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber, which is important for digestion.

5. Lowering the risk of chronic diseases: Eating a healthy breakfast can help lower the risk of chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and certain types of cancer.

6. Improving physical performance: Consuming a breakfast that is high in protein and carbohydrates can help improve physical performance in activities such as sports and exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Stereotypical breakfast foods can do the reverse of all those.

Best Answer
0 Votes
There are recent peer reviewed studies showing that eating the majority
earlier in the day has many benefits.

See
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/01/10/meal-timing-big-meals/

Being a skeptic of any claims in news articles I also checked examine.com
(I have a membership) and searched on "meal timing" and found many links
to peer reviewed studies supporting the above article,
Best Answer

@YoBubba - just read your Aug 5, 22 post. What a lot of interesting options! I must be weird too, as I often add sauerkraut (sometimes homemade) to my breakfast eggs, or on top of toast with refried beans or hummus as a spread. And sriracha is the bomb. Your ideas for savory oatmeals sound great too. Every couple of weeks I’ll cook up some steel cut oats in the instapot and then use that as a base for several days in skillet breakfast with various veggies and eggs.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Yeah!! 😎 Welcome to the club of weirdos!  My "friends" always give me the eyeroll at my choice of healthy nutrition, but I know my Cholesterol is better than theirs! 😙 I listen to Zoe Podcasts on Spotify, which,are really interesting and of course Dr. Gregor at Nutritionfacts.org. But I'm taking it all in stride. I'm not "deflouring" myself as Dr. Gregor suggests; but I don't buy processed bakery crap either. I mill my own flour from the grains for my bread and it's solid Vollkornbrot. Cooking the oats in the Instapot ahead of time is perfect. I was just thinking it's time for another batch of "BLORF" which I make in my old fogie pressure cooker. (my son got the Instapot; I'm fine with the old clunker 😉) Barley, lentils, oatgroats, rye, farro is what makes up my BLORF. The lentils I cook separately and add them to the rest of the cooked grains for extra protein. That mix goes in separate containers into the freezer till I need it. Works like a charm and is definitely "Whole Grain". I may drink a beer with my healthy dinner, just because I can. Ha! Stay Healthy my friend! 

Best Answer

Thanks for this! You inspired me to have a look too (using the Elicit AI reference finder).

I found a 2017 review of studies in a high-quality journal which had this pro-breakfast conclusion that people might be interested to read:

"Accumulating evidence summarized in this systematic review supports the negative impact of later meal timing and calories distribution on body weight and metabolism. High quality studies are needed to clarify the effectiveness of changes in eating time as an additional strategy for obesity and

diabetes prevention and treatment in adults."

Ref: https://iris.unito.it/bitstream/2318/1671160/1/man.pdf  quote from line 3018

Best Answer

Hey @Baltoscott , do you  have Huy  Fong sriracha ( squeeze bottle with a rooster on it) ? The Giant grocery in Virginia has been out for a long time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to agree. We stopped the late eating dinner because my husband had bad GERD at night, and I guessed, that it was influenced by a heavy meal and snacking before bedtime. Now, we actually do "intermittent fasting" which I don't really think of as "fasting" at all. Fasting to me is "starving yourself till you claw the walls" and I ain't going for that. I start my eating cycle usually by 8 am and I won't eat anything after 6 pm. That's puts all my food consumption into a 10-hour cycle. Breakfast and Lunch/Dinner are the two main meals. Breakfast is at around 10 am, lunch/dinner around 4 and I may have a fruit/yoghurt snack before 6 pm. Alcohol - if any - will have to accompany lunch. 🤣 I can do that, I'm retired. The best thing is that I am never starving when I get up in the morning. I say that my cycle starts at 8 am because I have a glass of kefir and some green matcha tea to wake me up at that time, so it stops the fasting period. I don't eat meat in abundance anymore - maybe once a month hidden among other healthier options. (Example: Cabbage soup with shrooms, beans, taters & lamb). Most of the time it's tofu & tempeh and beans for protein. But definitely front-loading breakfast as a main meal has helped the GERD and kept the weight off. I do have to say, though, that "weight loss" is an individual beast that everyone has to deal with on their own. What works for me may not work for others. 

Best Answer

The first one here isn't a study. It's a review and has no peer review.
The second has no data so, it's useless.

Nothing is said about controlling the composition of the diet. I'll leave the diet wars to others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Drumbob - funny you should ask. Just went to my local Giant because I’m running low on the Huy Fung and they don’t have it here anymore either. I guess I’ll see if Dynasty is any good.

9787E287-3933-4F1E-9711-D6BFDC650720.jpeg

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Hi Gershon, this interface is terrible for replies so I can't work out who your post was for, but if you are referring to the review I posted this is a better link where you can see it was published in a respected, peer-reviewed journal. It clearly cites all the studies that it refers to. But maybe you were talking about something else as you mention composition of meals?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1043661817306540?via%3Dihub

Best Answer
I bought some Roland's sriracha chili sauce and Hellman's. Both were from
Giant. Roland's is better I think. Both are ok but not Huy Fung. I did
Google about it and the peppers for Huy Fung are grown in Calif. Because of
the crazy weather the pepper crops weren't up to par. They thought they
would be back in production by now but apparently not. Let me know how the
Dynasty is, please.
Best Answer
0 Votes