Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Not Tracking When Screen Off

ANSWERED

Until the most recent iOS update, the Fitbit App on my iPhone 11 Pro would accurately track my distance using GPS when I manually started a run.  It would continue to track even when I locked my phone screen. As of the iOS 17.4 update, GPS stops tracking through Fitbit when my screen is locked.  I confirmed that my Fitbit location services are set to “always on,” but it’s still not working.

Anyone else have this issue or a solution?

---

Fitbit released an app update three days ago (version 4.13), but unfortunately it didn't address this issue.  It has to be a software problem. I would be interested to know if anyone who hasnt updated their iPhone to ios 17.4 and uses the fitbit app on their phone to track walking/running is having this problem.

---

Just curious, did you also update your iPhone with ios 17.4?

Best Answer
107 REPLIES 107

Hi @JuanFitbit I’ve done those steps you listed out - Fitbit is still categorizing my runs as walks, despite me selecting run when I start the exercise. I also don’t understand why on the exercise summary it shows a much slower average pace than the voice cues I got throughout the run. See my screenshot included - it says 13 minute mile pace but at 3 miles total distance, that would mean I ran for over 39 minutes but you can see that my total run time was under 33 minutes. I don’t get why Fitbit can’t even do this simple math to get an accurate average pace. Is this bug ever going to get fixed? 

IMG_8861.png

Best Answer

hi everyone has anyone had the issue rectified ?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Clare75  - I thought that it was, until my run on Thursday, it is not. They recently posted a fix - that you have delete the app and do some other things to try. I need to still do this. I haven’t heard of it worked for everyone though. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanFitbit - I just followed your instructions. I’m heading out on a run this morning and will report back. 
Hoping it fixes the gps and the category. I hate that everything defaults back to walk - even when we select hike or run. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good luck 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Me either. I've accepted it's not going to work. It is such a
disappointment because it worked so well for so long.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sounds like the app has flaws now, and fixing it is not a priority for
Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes
We’re back in business, baby!!! Everything is working on this end.

Thanks
Jonathan
Best Answer
0 Votes

Great I’ll give mine ago this week 👍

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everybody! Thank you for your messages! I will inform our team about your feedback. 
We are releasing a new app update in the next days (V4.17) please keep an eye open for it and let us know if with the update the issue still occurs. 

If you already have the new update, please let me know, so that I can pass the info to our team. 

We appreciate your collaboration

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Juan.   I completed the steps but when I start my exercise it does not give me the option for “always allow”.    I’ve gone into my iPhone settings and selected always allow but it still won’t track me when the phone screen is locked.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GinandSalad , thank you for your update. 

What happens when you put the setting on "only in use"?
Is you Fitbit App running in the background?

Try the steps on this help article. About the Background Refresh 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tried the latest update and complete reinstall of the fitbit app - issue is the exact same as before

Best Answer

Yes.  I always let it run in background and always let it access location. I’ve deleted app and forgot device/reset multiple times.  

I'm not sure what happened. It was working great for a long time and I did not change any settings.  It’s my second charge I’ve owned and they both work fine until a couple months ago. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried the reset but my gps is still not working. I tried it out yesterday and managed to do 3 walks at the same time. 

IMG_A812CA8ABBDF-1.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dear All

since the 14th of May i have the same problems as in this entire thread. I have also tried everything. Is simply does not register gps and map anymore when i switch it on from my iphone like all the years before. Must be software related. 

Best Answer

Hi Juan.  Ok! When I hit JUST ONCE after deleting and resetting everything.  It worked.  
anyone’s why the option of letting Fitbit track me all the time isn’t availible anymore? 

Best Answer

This fix seems to have worked!  My app tracked my walk last evening as it used to.  Thanks...

Best Answer

The fix worked for me! Thanks. 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

Which fix if i may ask?

Best Answer