Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Not Tracking When Screen Off

ANSWERED

Until the most recent iOS update, the Fitbit App on my iPhone 11 Pro would accurately track my distance using GPS when I manually started a run.  It would continue to track even when I locked my phone screen. As of the iOS 17.4 update, GPS stops tracking through Fitbit when my screen is locked.  I confirmed that my Fitbit location services are set to “always on,” but it’s still not working.

Anyone else have this issue or a solution?

---

Fitbit released an app update three days ago (version 4.13), but unfortunately it didn't address this issue.  It has to be a software problem. I would be interested to know if anyone who hasnt updated their iPhone to ios 17.4 and uses the fitbit app on their phone to track walking/running is having this problem.

---

Just curious, did you also update your iPhone with ios 17.4?

Best Answer
107 REPLIES 107

Does anyone have any recommendations on a comparable tracker from another company that will track without your phone screen being on? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve purchased a reflex seems pretty good so far and not expensive 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good morning,

any update on this issue?  It’s become very inconvenient.

thank you

Best Answer

I turned off the track per mile and just left the time and distance on and it’s been working again. I have to manually calculate my per/ mile rate, but it’s tracking the distance correctly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello - I turned off the track per mile and just left the time and distance on and it’s been working again. I have to manually calculate my per/ mile rate, but it’s tracking the distance correctly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve been using the Footpath app. Give it a try for tracking.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@kelliebeans - I turned off the track per mile and just left the time and distance on and it’s been working again. I have to manually calculate my per/ mile rate, but it’s tracking the distance correctly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the idea.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Not that I know of.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanFitbit Any update on resolving this GPS tracking problem that you can share with the forum? It's been a known issue for a little while now. Mapping exercise routes and tracking time/distance is a big selling point for having a smart watch, hence the sensitivity of people on this thread to when the issue will be resolved.

Best Answer
0 Votes
For me I turned off the power saver on my android and primarily it works
now. However more often than not it tells me GPS is weak or undetectable
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve given up bought a different device no longer Fitbit 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everybody! Thank you for your messages and feedback. 

I haven't updated the thread yet, as our team is still investigating what is causing this issue. They are still working on this, believe me,  this is one of their priorities. 
I'll let you all know, as soon as I get more info to update this thread. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
Thanks for the update.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everybody ! Thank you for messages and  feedback. We appreciate your patience while this is being investigated

Please try the following : 

1. Force close the Fitbit app and delete it from your device.
2. Restart your iPhone. (off/on)
3. Reinstall the Fitbit app from the App Store and log in.
4. On the App tap on the plus icon (+) > Start exercise . Start a run , walk or hike, with the app and grant the necessary location permissions.
GPS tracking should now work as expected.

Would you please confirm if this worked or if you need further assistance 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I actually was going to post today that I did a run on Saturday and it seemed to track everything correctly. I used “run” and it defaulted back to walk - which I don’t like and miss being able to see run, hike, and walk, but otherwise it seemed to work correctly. 

Best Answer
What about on an android
Best Answer

thanks Juan - I think that did it for me! it was working sometimes (mostly on clear days?) but I did as you suggested on Monday and tested it yesterday and it seemed to work! I will try it on my other route today to be sure but so far so good...

Best Answer

it works now! both routes announce the KM distances at the former markers - thanks for the help!

Best Answer

I have tried this but it is still not tracking the walks. I am getting a note of distance and steps with a pencil symbol beside it in my dashboard. This problem has only started after I moved my Fitbit account to Google a couple of weeks ago. I then went to Spain on Thursday last week and got a load of weird readings, so I reset the time zone and location and it seemed to straighten out, then when I came home on Tuesday, the problem started up again with no mapping of the walks. 
I really need to sort this out urgently as I am off next week to walk 500 miles in six weeks on the Camino to Santiago de Compostela and if this is not sorted out, I will feel compelled to invest in a new device from a different manufacturer, as I am wasting so much valuable time trying to sort out this issue. 

i would appreciate your further help and guidance.

Thanks

Best Answer