Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nordic walking

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will using hiking poles or walking sticks change the step count?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Yes because you are holding on to something. It needs to see the arms swinging

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Actually, I don't think this is correct, because when I'm pushing a grocery cart I put my Fitbit in my purse or pocket (no swinging) and it counts my steps just fine. I was wondering about over-counting using the walking sticks, since there would be a "bump" when my foot goes down and another when my pole hits the ground. But since I originally asked I've walked the same route twice, once with and once without the sticks, and I do seem to get roughly the same step count. But if anyone knows for sure I'd like to know too.

Best Answer

@KathyMT  My "inner engineer" is always fascinated by questions like yours.  They make me get out and do experiments!

I also got similar step counts on my marked path with and without my hiking poles.  "Phantom" steps do happen for everyone throughout the day.  Some steps are missed under the right conditions.  But your tracker is not a mechanical step counter.  It has an accelerometer.  It measures acceleration in three dimensions, then "decides" what is a step and what isn't.

I'm sure you are concerned about double tracking steps.  It certainly didn't happen for me.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer