Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abysmal Bluetooth Range?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ever since I got my Ionic, I've had real trouble with intermittent sound drops while running. It sounds like my Jaybirds are at max range and losing the signal, but this shouldn't be the case given that I'm wearing both them and my Ionic and I have little T-Rex arms.

The problem is definitely not on my earphones' side, as they're able to pick up the bluetooth signal from my phone from far across a gym.

I saw another thread that seems similar to mine, but no resolution was posted:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Bluetooth-Drops/m-p/2236196#M6851

What's the deal here? Is this a flaw?

Best Answer
24 REPLIES 24

@Tierus wrote:

Ever since I got my Ionic, I've had real trouble with intermittent sound drops while running. It sounds like my Jaybirds are at max range and losing the signal, but this shouldn't be the case given that I'm wearing both them and my Ionic and I have little T-Rex arms.

The problem is definitely not on my earphones' side, as they're able to pick up the bluetooth signal from my phone from far across a gym.

I saw another thread that seems similar to mine, but no resolution was posted:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Bluetooth-Drops/m-p/2236196#M6851

What's the deal here? Is this a flaw?

Hi @Tierus,

I've experienced this, and tried the proposed fixes (put ionic/bluetooth receiver on same side of body, etc.) None of that helped. What has helped (and I can't tell you why), is to pause then restart the music. Most of the time, just one pause/start clears up the interference. Occasionally, I have to pause and start a few times during an exercise. Have no idea why that seems to fix it, but it does for me. Hopefully it will work for you also.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

I will give that a try. There's no reason why the radio should be this weak, though, right?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only working solution I've found is to wear the Ionic on your right wrist. This fixed the drops I was experiencing with my jaybird x3s.  Nothing else would work.  Note there x3s worked fine with my phone in my left pocket and in an arm bands on the left side so I know it's not the headset.

Best Answer

I wouldn't think so, but I've noticed this too.  My ionic has no problem getting notifications from my iPhone from across my office which I believe is using a bluetooth connection.  The only difference is that the ionic receives the data instead of sending it but it would be the same antenna.  I'm going to try the suggestion to pause and start the music to see if that helps.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Peculiarly enough, I can walk around with my X2s on while my Ionic sits on my desk and suffer no loss. But when I run? Drops every time unless I put the watch on my right wrist. This defies logic!

Best Answer

@Tierus wrote:

Peculiarly enough, I can walk around with my X2s on while my Ionic sits on my desk and suffer no loss. But when I run? Drops every time unless I put the watch on my right wrist. This defies logic!

@Tierus when running are you tracking in exercise mode? If yes, the difference is that when Ionic is sitting on your desk the CPU is mostly idle. When tracking a run the CPU is actively processing data, updating the display, and (maybe) sending data over Bluetooth to Fitbit app. Still weird, but clearly Ionic is doing a lot more while tracking exercise.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting point. I've only used the music app while in an exercise that is also using gps.  If your logic is sound then this device is horribly underpowered.  Honestly the only reason I upgraded from the charge 2 to the ionic was the music and gps.  Otherwise I was going to get the fenix5.  I really hope they fix this or my wife will get the ionic as a hand me down.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hard to say. All I'm saying is that if these are the two scenarios:

- sitting on desk running Music app for BT streaming to headphones

- exercise tracking with GPS, and also running  Music app for BT streaming to headphones

then the obvious difference is the amount of multi-tasking in the second scenario, when it drops the BT connection. The root cause could be a multitasking bug in OS, application memory leaks, marginal timing issues with BT driver, CPU starvation ("underpowered CPU"), or something else. Its really hard to say. The Ionic has a new OS (fitbitOS), issues like this aren't surprising. Not fun, but not surprising.

If you like the Ionic and aren't staring at a return window, I'd say wait and see what happens after the upcoming tracker update. That should be coming along soon if Fitbit CEO's comments about launch App Store before holiday shopping are true (well, at least how I define holiday shopping as starting next Thursday, or Black Friday next week).

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

That's where I feel both others and I are stuck. We like the device but the implementation, at least so far, seems half baked.  I'm out of the return window since I pre-ordered it but as I said I do like the device in general.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you running outside?  That's a far different environment for bluetooth than inside and is likely thr primary reason for worse performance than indoors.  Indoors, the signal gets some help from reflections.  Outside, your body can absorb the direct path and there are  no secondary paths.  Some headphones deal with this better than others, depending on how their antenna aligns with your watch wrist.

Maybe there is some further software tweaking to come in future updates that might help.  I currently use wired ear buds  (Yurbuds) and a clip-on bluetooth receiver at my hip.or neckline.

Best Answer

I'm having a similar issue. And it's not because of a CPU issue. I figured this out on my first use of the device. When i was running it was intermittently cutting out but when I finished my run and did a cool down walk it was really bad because my had was now down at my side. If I pick up my hand closer to my Bose Sounsport headset it was clear up. Put my hand down to my side it would cut out. 

Really....Really disappointed with this watch. Very lame....

Best Answer

Extremely disappointed in the bluetooth range on my Ionic. My very first activity I did a run and noticed the music cutting out intermittently. When I stopped running and put my hand down to my side, the music completely cut out. If I pick my hand back up up towards my chest in a running position it clears up. The #1 reason I bought this device was for offline music ability (specifically my Pandora Premium) and it's not usable. I'm using Bose Soundport Headphones and don't have the problem when paired with my phone. I can replicate the problem by putting the my arm completely down at my side. If I put my hand up at my chest towards my headphones the problem goes away.  VERY LAME!!!

Best Answer

I have noticed two completely different scenarios.. Firstly, I find in my home environment, and the phone has been left somewhere, I'm picking up text, emails and phone calls at least 40' (12m) away, even through walls..

Secondly, while out shopping I often miss phone calls and messages because my phone is in my  right pocket and the Ionic on my left wrist. Yesterday my wife rang twice while I was in a supermarket.. It did not register but showed as missed calls on the phone..  So the body issue comes into play.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Found this thread hoping for a solution... experiencing the same terrible range when jogging, and when my hand is held closer to my earbuds, no problem.  I get environmental path issues and such, but somehow no other device I've ever owned has this problem.  Yet another disappointment with the Ionic.  

Best Answer

I tried that too 😢 I drops at 30 mins ! Ugh! There must be a glitch in the Pandora app on the watch 🤦‍:male_sign:

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have the same issue as you,  i turned around my headphones so the Bluetooth receiver on the headphones was on the same side as my watch, helped a lot. 

Best Answer
I applaud you for the idea. But I think it's ridiculous that you have to fix the problem when any other bluetooth device gets the standard 30ft range. I returned my ionic. This problem and the fact that you can't have the time always showing on the screen is stupid. I hate having to raise my arm and flick my wrist (which doesn't always work) just to see the time. You should have the option to show in a limited or dimmed screen.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, i have had to do a lot if ridiculous things with the ionic, seems to have a mind of its own, i thought you could have the display permanently on, maybe someone else would know. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EjHat37We are all trying to find the answers...I'm still waiting for V2.65 in Australia.. I'm in multi Fitbit mode with the Fitbit One and that syncs 40' away. At the moment the Ionic syncs, takes a couple of minutes but works on my non-listed phone (non tested).. Everything I use works, so overall I'm happy with the Ionic.. Others in other forums are complaining of the torso getting in the way of the Bluetooth connection..

@EjHat37 wrote:
I applaud you for the idea. But I think it's ridiculous that you have to fix the problem when any other bluetooth device gets the standard 30ft range. I returned my ionic. This problem and the fact that you can't have the time always showing on the screen is stupid. I hate having to raise my arm and flick my wrist (which doesn't always work) just to see the time. You should have the option to show in a limited or dimmed screen.

Get Outlook for Android

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes