Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always on display on the Iconic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The whole reason I have a Surge right now and not a Blaze is because the Surge has a (sort-of) always-on watch face. Pushing a button or wrist flicking is problematic when carrying stuff or when taking a quick glance. Please make this option configurable, so we can choose to take a big hit on battery life in order to get the always-on display option we need.  Thanks.

Update 09/13/2017: Here is the link to the feature request specific to the Ionic - https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Always-on-display-on-the-Iconic/idi-p/2181208 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you would like this fearure, please go and vote for THIS Feature Suggestion.or add one specific to the Ionic if you prefer.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

@Scottybonner, I basically asked the same question in this thread:

The answer was essentially, "Sorry, ain't gonna happen."  😞

Best Answer

Thanks for the info.  Sigh.

Best Answer

As far as I know the Ionic uses an LCD screen, so the battery drain would be significant. If fitbit ever decides to switch to OLED in the future I believe this could be implemented, a bit like the AOD screens on most phones. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

There doesn't need to be an always on option.  I understand the battery drain would be unacceptable.

But how about something along the lines of "ONE-TIME on for 2 minutes" option that you can activate from the first-level menu?

Yes, I'm a nurse, so my obvious need is counting pulses and respirations.  But that's not the only time I'd ever use my watch to time something of short duration.

Brian

Best Answer

For nursing, I just ordered a "stethoscope watch" online.  My main problem is solved.  Now to start my Ionic Savings Accout....

Best Answer

Yes, I really like the always on screen on the Surge.  When I am running it is all I can do just to run!  I can't mange to flick my wrist in just the right way and pressing the buttons on the Blaze is just too fiddly.  I'm with you on this one!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

During a workout, I like to continuously see my heart rate and workout progress without having to flick my wrist or press a button. Can you add a feature to the Ionic to keep the heart-rate and workout data display on continuously. Users just need to be alerted that the battery will discharge more quickly in this mode.

I previously owned a Basis Peak - a fitness watch which offered many of the features of the Ionic. The display was on continuously to display the time - but when I wanted to monitor my heart rate or workout progress, I would have to press several buttons. I was one of the many users who strongly urged Basis to allow for a continuous display of heart rate and workout progress. Basis listened to its users and added this feature. Unfortunately, due to a technical glitch with the heart rate sensor, all the watches were recalled.

Since then, I have been looking for a wearable with the right mix of fitness monitoring, smartwatch features, quality and pleasing design to peak my interest - but none of the other quality fitness watches offer an Always-On feature for monitoring heart rate and workout progress. When I saw the Ionic I thought maybe this is the one - but a quick Chat revealed the same short coming,

Adding this feature should not prove to be technologically challenging and would give the Ionic a marketing advantage over all the competition. And, maybe I will buy one! 

Best Answer

If you would like this fearure, please go and vote for THIS Feature Suggestion.or add one specific to the Ionic if you prefer.

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

NellyG,

Thanks.  I did make the feature change suggestion specifically for the Ionic, about 1 minute after I made the original post above.  A system error dumped me here instead of at the feature page so ended up trying twice.  I tried to delete the post above, but could not find out how.

Here is the link to the feature request: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Always-on-display-on-the-Iconic/idi-p/2181208 

Also, I just put the link in my original post above as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds good!

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Looking through the SDK I see that the display API is readable and writable. It may be possible to knock up an app that allows a face to be always on while the app is running. Would need to wait until access is granted to the developer site before jumping to any conclusions though.

Best Answer

@N8teGee wrote:

As far as I know the Ionic uses an LCD screen, so the battery drain would be significant. If fitbit ever decides to switch to OLED in the future I believe this could be implemented, a bit like the AOD screens on most phones. 

Actually @N8teGee, you have it backwards.  The Surge has an LCD screen, thus requiring an externsl light source to see it. While they now have color LCD they are not as crisp as an OLED screen. Downside is a slow refresh rate.

The Blaze has an OLED screen which is why it doesn't have the ability to say on all the time. This is the same with every other watch with an OLED, including the AW. Each pixel in the display is an individual little LED and consumes way more power than an LCD. The upside a fast refresh rate.

A color e-paper display would also work, i know of one watch that has this. It to needs a backup light to be able to view easily, this light like on the Suge would need to turn off. Also somewhat not needed in bright light. The advantage is tgat after the screen is drawn, no power is needed and the battery may be removed. The downside is the refresh rate is extreamly slow.

Best Answer

That is incorrect @Rich_Laue.

From the Blaze specifications on the Fitbit website - 

Display

• Touch screen
  • Colour LCD

Whilst you are correct in saying OLED lights up the individual pixels, you are wrong in saying it uses more power. OLED can Infact be very efficient as it's only lighting up the pixels needed. The rest of the screen can effectively be off,  thus saving alot of power. So a black background with simple text would be pretty power efficient as 80% of the screen might actually be off with the text being the only part that's on. Think always on display on the Samsung Galaxy S8. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

I fully agree. The always on display is absolutely necessary. Thsi is why I switched to Garmin. They are by fare the best smartwatches. Fully configurable.

Best Answer

Presently using surge and love on board GPS and always on Display. Not updated to Blaze as no GPS and no water proof available. If Ionic has a always on Display I will be happy. Garmin wareables have always on displays but much prefer the FitBit app. Please include the always o. Display! 

Best Answer

@shayod wrote:

Presently using surge and love on board GPS and always on Display. Not updated to Blaze as no GPS and no water proof available. If Ionic has a always on Display I will be happy. Garmin wareables have always on displays but much prefer the FitBit app. Please include the always o. Display! 

While the new Ionic has the in-built GPS and water proofing good enough to swim with, unfortunately it does not have an always on display.  😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

According to this review the screen can be set to always on during workouts, not sure how accurate that is though.

"The display activates when you rotate your wrist, press the left button, or double tap the display. You can enable an always-on mode while working out, but battery life will suffer." 

http://www.zdnet.com/product/fitbit-ionic/

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

Thanks for the update, one more question re sizing. I presently wear the Surge with the smaller band size. I do want to get a sport band and maybe a more formal one for Ionic but as they are size specific on ordering how do they compare to the surge size. My wrist is exactly 170mm which is the cut off point on your sizing advice, so do I go with the smaller or larger. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@shayod wrote:

Thanks for the update, one more question re sizing. I presently wear the Surge with the smaller band size. I do want to get a sport band and maybe a more formal one for Ionic but as they are size specific on ordering how do they compare to the surge size. My wrist is exactly 170mm which is the cut off point on your sizing advice, so do I go with the smaller or larger. Thanks

I believe I saw when I ordered mine the Ionic comes with both the small and the large band included.

Best Answer
0 Votes