Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condensation Buildup in Sensors

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone had issues with the waterproofing on the Ionic?  Someone commented on Facebook that they "heard" this was a problem from a reviewer friend.  But, I've seen nothing on it. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
109 REPLIES 109

My glass was poking upwards after swimming today and has stopped working. I’m not impressed 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Quick update to this original post. We've now converted 2 fitbit ionics into the finest $300 paperweight money can buy. Fool me thrice.

We've moved to garmins for running tracking, and apple watch for day to day... really disappointing as we were fitbit customers for many years.

Best Answer

Same story for us. Had lousy customer service and ended up switching to Garmin. Got the Garmin instinct and LOVE it. It is more expensive but water rated for 10ATM and doesn’t have all the other fancy stuff I didn’t want. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The glass was poking upwards? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve still not been swimming with my iconic on since it broke the last time, I don’t trust that it won’t happen again. Im also going to switch to Garmin once I can justify buying a new watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes. It was popping out of the frame

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has just died, after putting it on charge. Taking it off charge about 20 minutes later and the screen in non-responsive and trying to reset it isn't working. Had been swimming with it for about an hour each day over the last few days and looking at the back sensors there's some condensation present so I'm guessing it's let some water in? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would contact Fitbit. This is what I did and after a few days exchanging emails. They offered me a free replacement or 50% of a different model

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, contact Fitbit, they sent me out a new one, I wish I’d gotten the 50% offer as I wouldn’t have gone for the ionic, these watches are not waterproof and shouldnt be advertised as such. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

After 8 months of trouble-free operation (maybe 8 actual swims of 15 mins each) and daily showering (I never took the Ionic off my wrist), mine suddenly hit the 'condensation in the sensors' issue. Watch was unresponsive to soft resets, button pressing, touch screen and got 'warm' when I tried to charge it. After a few days of this it finally just wouldn't charge at all. I contacted FitBit support and sent in a photo of the moisture in the sensors and they have offered me a replacement, so it looks like water leakage may be a known issue in a percentage of Ionics. From now on I'm not going to wear it in the shower but I do now plan to go for a 30 minute swim each week (training for a triathlon) so I've lost a lot of confidence in the Ionic basic design unfortunately. I'm hoping that Fitbit are smart enough not to send a replacement that comes from any batches known to have waterproofing problems. I know the Ionic is pretty overpriced but apart from a couple of niggles on the software (swimming app looks like it just never got tested by a swimmer), I have found it pretty good for triathlon training at 'Dad' level. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have not worn mine swimming but of late a good hand wash killed it. Mine went dead then the green symbol came up then dead and nothing since. I called customer - no - service to be told it was past my 1 year warranty and all they would do was a 25% discount off of a new one. Given I had countless problems with the first Fitbit I owned and now this, I won't buy any other Fitbit product. They are too expensive fail this way and not be supported. I've had mine in a jar of rice for days without any change in the condensation showing on the back sensors.

Best Answer

I went swimming with mine last year when camping and BAM ... it died...  Warranty replaced it.  This year, went swimming again and BAM died again.  And there is condensation in the sensors ... this is serious bull**ahem** as fitbit claims the Iconic is waterproof and auto detects swimming. However there is something seriously wrong with this brand and to spend over 300 dollars for a waterpproof fitbit that isnt waterproof is ridiculous. I would highly recommend NOT buying the Iconic for this reason alone 

Best Answer
In the end, Fitbit replaced it. I have not been in the pool with the new one yet

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

its too bad that you wont go swimming with your waterproof fitbit for fear of it breaking in the water... I think fitbit needs to look at a recall 

Best Answer

Lol yeah you would think so. But they would rather give excuses then keep their customer base. I will never buy another Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
same from me. I occasionally wear it (replacement) in the shower but never
swimming. Originally bought it because it supposedly could be used
swimming. Dead from water leak the first time I used it swimming. Agree -
the device had serious issues and the victims who bought it should be
compensated instead of hearing, "sorry, your warranty period is up....."

My dead fitbit ionic history
#1 - water leak
#2 - display glitch
#3 - boot loop

First two were covered under warranty by fitbit. Third was covered by the
extended warranty I bought when I bought the device. (prescience?)
Best Answer
0 Votes
I completely agree. I sold my Ionic and used the money to buy a second hand
Garmin Forerunner 920XT - it may be 'old' tech but its built to last and
very reliable.

Sent from a smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Spoiler
Just went thru all of this today. Never swam with mine until yesterday and now it flashes the logo. Reached out to Fitbit and my warranty is passed. They offered me 25% off a new one. If they knew about these issues I am sad to see they only offered 25% off. Currently looking to see what other options are out there . 
Best Answer
0 Votes
I would send them this thread and point out there is clearly an issue.

Try putting it in rice for 2 days and see if that helps
Best Answer
0 Votes

I went for a swim and mine blacked out. I called customer service and they said they cant cover a new one bc it's out of warranty. My thing is if it's a manufacturer defect they should honor without a warranty. Hopefully the rice trick works.

Best Answer
0 Votes