Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashes during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

10/3 morning run, tracking with GPS, looked at watch at mile 2,

checked a couple minutes later and it was the workout screen where you scroll to choose exercise. So I restarted “run” and went home. Synced to phone, 2+mile run is not there, was never recorded, didn’t sync. This is a MAJOR  reason for buying a gps tracker, it must work every time.  

Other problems-

finally got pandora stations to show up when I forced sync for 15th time on work WiFi, got Home put watch on charger, Home WiFi, pandora station and disappeared!!!! Fitbit Please fix software! Will Ben returning off not fixed in next couple weeks for refund. 

I was excited aboit Ionic becuase I like fitbit, battery life vs Apple Watch, and combined the function of my old gps running watch and all day tracker. But it was released with too many problems.  Please post update on firmware fixes that may be in the future. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity & format

Best Answer
356 REPLIES 356

Since the latest update I've been getting crashes after running. Everything else appeared to be OK. Turned off the GPS for running and it didn't crash.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also having this issue, while using the "workout" function to try to track my bootcamp workouts. I'm on a very strict plan right now where making sure I track my workouts as accurately as possible is essential to my meal plan and training schedule. 

I've completed the most recent firmware update and the problem actually appears to be worse now. Besides the (sorry, I'm going to say it) absolutely lame suggestion of turning off notifications during workouts, is there something else that I can do to remedy this? I'm incredibly disappointed with the Ionic so far, I'm sorry to see that I am not the only one.

Best Answer

Fitbit team - how come is this still an issue after so many months ? 

Is it really that hard to catch this in your testing and see what is causing it. It looks wide spread enough to be able to reproduce without any issues and fix in a FW fix. The fact you are not doing this is a serious cause for concern on the health of your dev processes...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm glad I found this thread. I've lost 3 out of my last 4 workouts from my screen crashing.  The next time it happens the Ionic is getting returned. This is beyond ridiculous to suggest people "manually log" their workouts. Why the heck would I have bought this watch if I had to do that?  I can't believe this issue has been going on so long with no resolution. What would make anyone believe a solution is near when it has already been this long?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I contacted customer support, and their "answer" was to try a restart.  I told them I had done that based on advice in this forum, and it didn't prevent the issue from happening again. The support person's response was that "our support team is still looking at the issue and doesn't have a timeline".  It is absolutely ridiculous to me that she would tell me to try a restart when she knew full well that the issue wasn't resolved and they were still "working on it". How can this company continue to sell a watch that they know has this issue? I just purchased it a few weeks ago, and this thread is months old. I'll leave negative feedback everywhere I can to warn people.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been having this issue as well. I never had this problem with the Surge. I have a few suspicions as this isn't always a problem. I'd say about 20 to 25% of my runs I've had issues with the watch losing the activity. Even though it's April, it's still cold where I am and I've been thinking my sleeves are rubbing up against a very sensitive touch screen that could be pausing my run. Also, I'm not positive that the actual button itself isn't sticking like a double press or something like that when I start it up. It is very frustrating though to start the watch, be coming close to your first mile and have the watch buzz saying "it looks like you're exercising." For the price, I hoped I'd never see issues like this. The latest problem I've had is while my dashboard has recorded my steps and is current, I'm missing 8k from my friend's weekly challenge. The challenge group is a HUGE reason why I still use Fitbit. If these issues keep occurring, I'll be making a brand switch real soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My ionic also crashes for no reason and no warning during a walk. Steps counted but no record. It also crashed when I looked at the time. Very disappointing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is crashing during GPS activities too.  It is so frustrating. I am putting the Ionic away for a while now.  Hopefully they will have an update that fixes it soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since the watch 2.0 all tracking and crashes have been nullified for me. Working as expected. The only time I encountered the crash issue was old bluetooth headphones 2.1 I think... And exercise while using device music. But since deezer no issues

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is running 27.32.4.19

Ever since the last download it has been unreliable.

Fitbit please sort - less aps and more reliable function please 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't had any crashes during a GPS tracked run yet but mine has been rebooting in the middle of treadmill runs. It sucks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found that if I change my auto-pause setting, turning it on or off, sync, and then do a GPS run, the workout crashes when my "exercise cue" comes on.  I have the run cue set for every two minutes so the most I can track a run is two minutes.  If I do a reset, the problem goes away.  However, if I change the auto-pause setting again, the problem comes back until the next reset.  Looks like there's some kind of conflict between changing settings and interruptions in the Ionic that requires a reset to fix each time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is crashing while gps tracking on a bike ride. I also have autopause enabled. I'll disable it and try it tomorrow.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well! Thanks for your continuous participation on this thread regarding the Ionic crashing during an exercise.

Our team has received the feedback from everyone in this thread and is working to investigate these reports further. I will share updates from the team when I hear them. Thanks to everyone for your reports and understanding.

In the meantime,  whenever this happens to you, please manually log the activity so you don't loose any credits for the activity performed. This option gives accurate data too so you don't stay behind!

Thanks for your patience. See you around! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

As an update, I have not experienced any crashes since I turned off notifications.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Busterconan Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad to hear you found an alternative solution to avoid the crashes.

I'm sure this will be helpful for other users who might be experiencing the same. It shouldn't be a permanent solution, but a temporary workaround to sort this out.

Thanks for sharing your updates. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Santi, 

temporary workaround ? Anything that is more than 1 year of age in Fit devices is considered an eternity.

This is not temporary workaround. This is a permanent solution. basically the notifications are not working and causing the watch to "freeze" and reset. I love Fitbit and would like to see it compete with Apple and other device makers, but for the love of everything that is dear to you: Please fix your dev processes and get this issue solved in weeks not years!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Qbaas Welcome to the Fitbit forums! Thanks for your feedback regarding this situation.

Please check my post above in which I state that: "Our team has received the feedback from everyone in this thread and is working to investigate these reports further. I will share updates from the team when I hear them. Thanks to everyone for your reports and understanding."

This means that once a solution is found for this situation, you will not need to turn off notifications or anything like that to avoid crashing. So, yes, it is a temporary workaround. Keen to hear if this has worked for other users too?

I appreciate your patience. I will share updated from the team when I hear them.

See you around. Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Thank you for letting us know that the problem has been reported.

While some users pain is elevated mine is not. After all. like myself, the
programmers are human and require time to work thru and resolve the issue
causing this problem.

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

The problem should not be there. It should of been tested, tested and yeah a lot more testing to make sure it had no faults when it hit the shops. This problem has been ongoing since November that I know of. Is that not a sufficient period of time for this fault to of been ironed out?

Best Answer
0 Votes