Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashes during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

10/3 morning run, tracking with GPS, looked at watch at mile 2,

checked a couple minutes later and it was the workout screen where you scroll to choose exercise. So I restarted “run” and went home. Synced to phone, 2+mile run is not there, was never recorded, didn’t sync. This is a MAJOR  reason for buying a gps tracker, it must work every time.  

Other problems-

finally got pandora stations to show up when I forced sync for 15th time on work WiFi, got Home put watch on charger, Home WiFi, pandora station and disappeared!!!! Fitbit Please fix software! Will Ben returning off not fixed in next couple weeks for refund. 

I was excited aboit Ionic becuase I like fitbit, battery life vs Apple Watch, and combined the function of my old gps running watch and all day tracker. But it was released with too many problems.  Please post update on firmware fixes that may be in the future. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity & format

Best Answer
356 REPLIES 356

While workingout my ionic screen will turn grey and at times will stop tracking my workout and goes back to the clock. I don't know why it does that. I think it stops tracking my calories burn when it Grey's out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m currently on my second ionic and both after 5/6 days have turned themselves off and then started up again.

This morning I finished an hour long workout and when I hit the ‘done’ button, it shut itself down. It did keep the data but this is frustrating. On my other one, it shut down at the start of a workout.

any ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been having this problem too. Key runs get lost as GPS cuts out.  Has anyone had this problem since the update a few days ago? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes today my watch crashed again, had just activated walk mode, and discovered later that the watch was dead, so had to restart it ... this is really annoying 🤯

Best Answer
0 Votes

Never had that issue before this update. Do not have any notifications on aside phone calls which I did not receive on my walk. GPS just cut out and never resumed missed last third of my run. Had a garmin vivoactive hr before my ionic and a surge before that. Never had this issue on either devices, so this is a bit disappointing Run map

Best Answer
0 Votes

agreed. too many issues with this new watch.

Best Answer

Good tip. Will try it. Had it crash out during Circuit Training workout twice. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

For the second time and with good GPS acquisition the Ionic Walk exercise log app thing has crashed and returned to the main screen, thus cancelling logging the walk. No other apps installed on the watch other than the defaults.

Factory reset done. One to fix Fitbit please in the next f/w update.

Enderman
Best Answer

Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well!

I moved your post to this thread which is about the same topic in order to keep the Community organized. @RealSting

Thanks for reporting this. Fitbit is aware of it and is currently working on getting it fixed. 

For the moment, whenever this happens to you, please manually log the activity so you don't loose any credits for the activity performed. This option gives accurate data too so you don't stay behind!

I'm sure a fix will be out soon! 

Thanks for your patience. See you around! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Problem fixed

watch taken back for a full refund. 

Funnily it has not not crashed since. 

No more being frustrated from a watch that is not fit for purpose. 

Best Answer

My Fitbit Ionic crashed also today after running 13,6 km. The watch restarted and I had to start the exercise app again. Very frustrating. I was listening to an audiobook that I uploaded to the watch, maybe that could be the reason that is crashed. After the watch restarted my HR was not recording correctly for a couple of minutes.

Best Answer

Running a marathon is no small feat, and to have the app crash and destroy your data is the worst.  It's not like you can just start over.  Logging the run manually is no help at all if you are synced to Strava because it relies on the gps data in conjunction with heart rate for all the analysis that is so valuable.  I will not get another Fitbit if this isn't fixed soon.

Best Answer

Solution to exercise app crash .. maybe?

I’m not sure if this will work for everyone but I find if I use a clockface that pulls data such as weather or data that’s not part of the FitBit standard clockfaces, the app will crash during excericse. I now use a clockface that just shows the basic data as shown in the Fitbit iOS app and my ionic appears to be stable. It’s still early days so will report back after a couple of weeks. 

I have no other apps apps installed on my ionic other than what was factory preinstalled. I will add that this could be a memory conflict issue (perhaps the most common cause of app crashes), so you may want to check how much free RAM your ionic has. Keep the clockface data basic!

I would be very interested to see how others get on with this. 

Enderman
Best Answer

Hi, any update on the firmware situation? My runs crash whenever I increase my pace significantly... it's very frustrating!! Please fix this, the post has been going around for alot now, I don't want to switch brand but I cannot keep running and ending up frustrated by my Ionic... I'm bummed for having sold my Surge, never happened with it.

Best Answer

I've had thsi issue since i got the ionic. The firmware updates has not solved this issue so far. Can i expect that the next version will fix this of should i just return the watch?

Best Answer

Well. Since the last firmware update i contacted the support and a double factory reset seems to do the job. Now its been working fine for a week. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

20 minutes into a run tonight i moved my arm to look at the screen nothing happened the screen remained black, i pressed the left button to turn the screen on and nothing happened,5-10 seconds the screen did appear. The watch continued to function correctly for another 10 mins or so, then the same thing happened, i pressed the left button, but nothing happened 5-10 seconds later the watch vibrated and had returned to the main menu, but had lost my activity. The watch is running Fitbit OS2. I bought this watch to track my runs, but if this is going to continue to happen it is not acceptable. Has anyone else had issue with this?

Best Answer

@rkeeling Welcome to the Fitbit Community! I moved your post to this thread as it is about the same topic.

Also, hello to every user who is continuously participating on this thread.

Thanks for reporting this. As you may already know, Fitbit is aware of it and is currently working on getting it fixed. 

For the moment, whenever this happens to you, please manually log the activity so you don't loose any credits for the activity performed. This option gives accurate data too so you don't stay behind!

Thanks for your patience. See you around! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Hi, 

I know you say fitbit are working on fixing this issue, does that mean the devs know the cause? Would turning notifications off during exercise help with this? Should I do anything different with the watch? Would hard resetting help? 

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having repeatedly experienced the same issue with my Ionic restarting during bike rides (and losing all the data up that that point) I am very frustrated and considering what to do next. This thread is now months old and the last update to the new o/s version 2 obviously hasn't helped. Turning off notifications and reverting to the standard face and removing additional apps is akin to turning off half the functionality of the watch in order for it to work. This is way less than satisfactory. I'm seriously considering returning the watch as this is just one of the many bugs I've encountered having owned the watch for less than a month!

Best Answer
0 Votes