Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashes during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

10/3 morning run, tracking with GPS, looked at watch at mile 2,

checked a couple minutes later and it was the workout screen where you scroll to choose exercise. So I restarted “run” and went home. Synced to phone, 2+mile run is not there, was never recorded, didn’t sync. This is a MAJOR  reason for buying a gps tracker, it must work every time.  

Other problems-

finally got pandora stations to show up when I forced sync for 15th time on work WiFi, got Home put watch on charger, Home WiFi, pandora station and disappeared!!!! Fitbit Please fix software! Will Ben returning off not fixed in next couple weeks for refund. 

I was excited aboit Ionic becuase I like fitbit, battery life vs Apple Watch, and combined the function of my old gps running watch and all day tracker. But it was released with too many problems.  Please post update on firmware fixes that may be in the future. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity & format

Best Answer
356 REPLIES 356

I too am having the same issue - restarting in workout mode, infuriating when I don't notice it.

Disabling notifications isn't a fix as far as I'm concerned - I bought this for the basics of notifications on multiple apps and fitness...

I have contacted customer support via email to see what can be done.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've gone almost a week now with no unplanned reboots during exercise. All I did was go into settings and turn notications "During Exercise" to Off. So that means, the hour I'm in the gym I won't be getting notifications, which is fine trade-off until everything's sorted. At other times, I get notifications no problem.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

It crashed at mile 11 of a run this weekend. No record of the activity exists, although it did update my steps, active minutes, heart rate, etc.  I would love to be able to review my splits and gps route, and now I'm can't trust that when I start my exercise it will be tracked. I have my first full marathon coming up and I will likely get a different watch if this happens again as I need to trust that the activity will actually record.  

Best Answer

Hi Everyone! 

Just wanted to post in here to thank you all for reporting the crashes you have experienced. I have forwarded these reports to our engineering team so that they can take a closer look at what might have been causing this. 

As a potential workaround, I would suggest turning off notifications during periods where the 'Run' function is being used for an extended amount of time. This can be done by swiping to the right on the clock face of your Ionic and tapping the notifications tab. 

I appreciate your patience with this. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

THIS HAPPENS TO ME TOO!! I totally feel your pain. One of the reasons I got an ionic was because I didn't want to carry my massive phone when I go running, but because ionic's run app keeps crashing on me, I have no way to record my runs accurately. I don't want to have to revert to using an armband that chafes my upper arm... Poop.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Epperj,

I had this happen to me a lot before I started shutting off the notifacations, if you reboot the watch your run will come back to the point that it stopped working,

to reboot your Ionic press and hold the button on the left and the bottom button on the right until you feel it vibrate.

Best Answer

Went for a run tonight and it has lost my gps run data. Screen was at the start of the run app ( let’s go ) I can’t believe this bug has not yet been fixed. What is going on Fitbit???

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MattFitbit wrote:

As a potential workaround, I would suggest turning off notifications during periods where the 'Run' function is being used for an extended amount of time. This can be done by swiping to the right on the clock face of your Ionic and tapping the notifications tab.

@MattFitbit, there are other causes for the Ionic crashes and restarts.  I have had multiple crashes during exercises, and have never had Notifications nor Cues enabled.  The first crash occurred on a Bike ride using the GPS to record the activity.  Since I did not check the tracker during the ride, I was not aware that it had crashed until the end of the ride when I tried to stop the activity and the Ionic was back at the clock face. After syncing the tracker, I found that the tracker had crashed about half way through the ride, and the rest of the ride was missing from the activity log.

The 2nd crash was while working out on the Elliptical. I had started the Ionic in the exercise mode for Elliptical and started the workout.  About 15 minutes into the workout, I noticed the Fitbit logo on the screen of the Ionic. It soon restarted and went back to the clock display. I restarted the Ionic on the exercise mode for the Elliptical and finished the exercise routine. 

The 3rd time, I again started the Ionic on the exercise mode for Elliptical and started exercising. This time is made it a little past 20 minutes in the routine when it crashed. I restarted it and completed the exercise.

The odd thing is that between the 1st time and 2nd time, there were 2 days with no Ionic crashes, and since the 3rd time there has been 3 days without a crash. So, what caused the crashes when they happened?

Best Answer

Any idea when this fix is going to happen? I feel like taking the watch back for a full refund as it is not fit for purpose. It has been over 2 month since you claimed to have passed this info on to your engineering team but there is still no fix for this really frustrating fault. 

Best Answer
Agreed an update would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

It's not just with the running. I've had the same occurance with Weights and Treadmill as well. heartbeat is often completely off track as well specially during exercises.

I'd like to see more exersices to choose from. The Cross Trainer would be very appreciated.. 

I'll keep the Ionic for now because I'm sure the problems will be solved soon and I don't want Apple to be uncontended.

Microsoft Lumia 950XL, Fitbit Ionic 27.31.1.16
Best Answer
0 Votes

since the last firmware update 30.5.8 I am not running outside now but in the gym and using the treadmill app and have been getting notifacations without a crash, now I'm not using gps but its not crashing anymore with the notifacations on.

I had also called fitbit and informed them about the bug and they said they would get this resolved in a firmware update, the bad thing about the updates on the fitbit website is not up to date and I don't know what the fixes are in the releases...

that needs to change ..

Mark

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gibbyhome wrote:

since the last firmware update 30.5.8 I am not running outside now but in the gym and using the treadmill app and have been getting notifacations without a crash, now I'm not using gps but its not crashing anymore with the notifacations on.

I had also called fitbit and informed them about the bug and they said they would get this resolved in a firmware update, the bad thing about the updates on the fitbit website is not up to date and I don't know what the fixes are in the releases...

that needs to change ..

Mark

Keep in mind you are running a developer version of the firmware not a version meant for end users; the correct firmware level should be 27.25.16.7.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m not running a developer addition the beginning actually starts with 27

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gibbyhome, if you are running 27.30.5.8 (reported as 30.5.8 on some devices), then you are running a developer version.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gibbyhome, the current non-developer version is 27.25.16.7 on mine.

Best Answer

27.25.16.7 being the latest version and for me the one with the reported bugs.

Microsoft Lumia 950XL, Fitbit Ionic 27.31.1.16
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to send you a Smiley Frustrated smiley, as this is most likely the strangest suggestion I have seen, the problem is that the Ionic reboot / restarts during exercise (i.e. Elliptical or run) and you suggest to restart to see if that fixes the problem . . .

Best Answer

Hi everyone! 

Just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to get back to me. I truly appreciate your patience as our team continues to work to resolve this issue.

@USAF-Larry Thanks for further clarifying your experience. Our team is aware that notifications may not be the only thing initiating these crashes and I can assure that they are looking into several potential root causes. 

@MarkaD17 @Ckk12  @ErikVerm Though I am not able to provide an exact timeframe for when this issue will be resolved, I want to assure you that your voices have been heard and that our team is working to have this fixed in a future firmware update.

@gibbyhome @shipo I can confirm that 27.25.16.7 is the current production FW version for Ionic. If you are seeing something different, you are likely on a developer version. 

If you are interested in reverting back to the production FW, you can do so by submitting a request on this forum

Again, I appreciate everyone's patience in regard to this issue. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Any update on this? my ionic crashes on all exercise modes whether that be 'workout' 'run' 'walk' or 'weights' (i haven't used the other exercise functions) and happens every few days. I keep reporting it to fit bit who just keep telling me to factory reset my watch. 

This is not good enough this watch is £300 there should not be this many issues.

I have turned off my notifications and also disabled my pin lock for my watch and it seems to crash less often but it still does crash which it should not be doing at all!

As you can see lots of users are experiencing this and we are becoming increasingly frustrated as this is supposed to be fitbits best watch.

Please shed some light on all these issues!!

Best Answer
0 Votes