Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit OS 4.1.3 Firmware Update (70.80.0)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello Ionic family!

We’re excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 4.1.3.

We started releasing this new update to customers. This is a progressive rollout which means everyone will receive it at different stages until it has been completely released to all users. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

*Firmware releases aren’t distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Read our help article for the latest updates.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Find step-by-step instructions for updating Ionic here

If you run into any trouble updating Ionic, review these troubleshooting tips.

We appreciate your patience while we work to roll this out to everyone. Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback in the comments below. 🤖

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
394 REPLIES 394

Whilst I have had few issues compared to others in this forum. I'd be interested if notification such as emails has been improved (or even fixed) in this release. The link in the article "What's new and fixed" doesn't specify what fixes and improvements have been included. Where is the changelog which most software/firmware updates include, from most vendors? There certainly is a lot of interest in what is addressed by the Fitbit developers. It's hardly secretive stuff like what are the 11 herbs and spices in KFC.

Anyway looking forward to all those secret fixes and improvements in my newly purchased Ionic when the release hits my app.

Best Answer

I unfortunately upgraded to 70.7.27 which made my Ionic completely useless.  I see there is now 70.80.0.  I can I get this release?  I'm hoping this is a release that actually works.  I like the product when it does work but there has never been a new release upgrade done that major issues.  Fitbit is forcing me to by an Apple Watch.  Seriously, I need to either understand how to revert back to previous release or somehow get the 70.8 release (and hope that it works) as my watch is completely useless at this point.  Any help appreciated. 

Best Answer

Here we go again:

"FITBIT OS 4.1.3

This release includes bug fixes and improvements."

FIRMWARE VERSION 27.70.80.0

This release includes an update to the Fitbit OS. For more information, see  What's changed in the latest Fitbit OS update? Points to the above statement.

I guess its time to start the guessing game again.

Best Answer

Just updated, took about 5 min and all seems to be good. No idea what changed though...😒

Best Answer

@MattFitbitCome on, Matt. The link you included that is supposed to tell us what changes are in the update just says bug fixes and improvements. Duh, we all already know that. That's really lame. Can't y'all do better than that?

Best Answer

My Fitbit ionic bit the dust 3 days ago after I received it as a gift and it did an automatic update  and it hasn’t worked since I have no power it’s total black the sensor on the back isn’t flashing  

are you going to send me a new Fitbit ionic ???? 

Best Answer

How can we be sure the this new update won't brick the ionics? Several devices are bricked with each update, In my experience, mi first device bricked was in February 2019, fortunately it was under one year  warranty but it wasn't on Sep '19 update. For this reason I'm skipping all the latest updates (Sep, Nov, Dec 2019, Apr and now May 2020) mi Device is still at 27.33.1.30 up and running without issues. The only warranty I found in the update post is the bricked devices without Fitbit support. Everytime is the same story, same issues and same answers from support team "if the ionic doesn't turn on, be sure thatcthat battery is fully charged" when the customer was clear that the issue occurred after the update and is clearly that the unbeatable code is bricking the ionics. I'm frustrated because the most common answer from Fitbit is: "YOU updated the ionic" this is not our responsibility, please read the warranty policy. The net is: I don't want to lose my money by a garbage update, if there is not warranty that no issues would appear I prefer to stay in a OLDER BUT SECURE software release.

Best Answer

@Oscaraul 

You have no assurance. This issue has been ongoing since July of 2019 from my awareness, Truthfully replacing the watch is NOT a fix its a Band-Aid until you rip it off and the scab that was attached to it, hence the NEW update. The TRUE solution is to fix the issue for ALL existing ionic, versa, versa 2 and how many other "smart" watches they have bricked with this. And they need to disconnect the fitbit from the "fitbit cloud" The watch should ONLY have communication with whatever your syncing with, Computer or Phone.

I understand the fitbit cloud is like a backup, but I should have the option to choose when to back it up, AND we should have the option to skip updates nd not be forced.

Best Answer

Unfortunately being able to skip an update is only going to be useful for those few proactive owners who know the problems or simply don't want to take the risk. The vast majority of users will still update, as they don't peruse forums such as this. 

These updates should be further sandboxed by the Fitbit FW developers so failures are a rare occurrence. Similar to FW updates for your motherboard in a PC/Laptop. Generally FW updates for your computer are fairly robust, minus operator (owner) error.

I have a new Ionic - unused but bought secondhand without a purchase receipt. That was lost/misplaced. I don't want to brick this device, as replacement will be difficult without a receipt. But I want new features - as long as the update is largely risk free.

Best Answer

Well.  I guess my run with Fitbit is now over.  And all it took was a simple upgrade.  Moving over to Apple or Samsung.  Real software companies.   

Best Answer

The last "upgrade" killed my perfectly working Ionic. It just doesn't work at all anymore, when I have had it less than 2 years. How can I upgrade to the newest firmware when my watch suddenly just doesn't work because Fitbit killed it? I am devastated.

Best Answer

I would've thought that everyone with issues and support tickets with issues about last update, should get it first... they are perfect for testing, since the device is 'broken' anyway

Best Answer

Thing is Bruneeto,

Users shouldn't be testing. Lets call it beta testing - but the failures point towards alpha testing/pre-release. Surely Fitbit have beta tested these FW updates extensively before making them available to the public. Although the number of major issues and worse - outright failures is concerning. 

If a device fails on an automatic update it should be replaced regardless of warranty status/age. These things are really quite cheap, now that hundreds of thousands or millions have/are been manufactured.

Goodwill replacements of a automatic update failure would do immense positive publicity for the company.

A built-in tracking of a failed FW update in the phone software should be able to report to Fitbit that a failure has occurred due to a failed update - so there is no abuse of goodwill from the company, and owners can have some assurance that they will not be left with a dead in the water device through no fault of their own.

Just my 2 cents worth.

😐😐

Best Answer

thing is, mine is still in warranty, but just to get someone from support give a response ...
My ticket is 9days old, I received a DM last night that they are going to look further into my issue.
I gave them a ticket number, which I logged.
First question: what is your email address...

Who are they kidding.
They see my name, my picture, my connected devices, ... but hey, they responded...

Best Answer

@MattFitbit 

So just to be clear here, you closed the last thread on firmware update without actually addressing/responding to anything and now you have stated a new thread on the next firmware update? 

Fitbit response to me on the last update was that they did not know whether it was safe to apply the update (I have this in writing)

Is this one guaranteed not to break my ionic? 

If it does, will you replace my out of warranty Ionic?

Will you respond to questions?

Best Answer

Will this firmware update fix the hundreds of relatively new "bricked" watches (like mine) which one can read about in these forums? I'm seriously considering switching to the Apple watch after this fiasco...

Best Answer

Since previous thread is locked.
Let's continue here:

This is after reset, removing from app, reinstall everything, hoping it would pick up the latest release...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXuKZIpKA9E

This is what they gave me.

No HR tracking

auto step count, 8800 steps while sleeping... 

battery depleting in few hours

Overheating the ionic, waking up with a red wrist and sore skin !thank you fitbit 

Best Answer

My Ionic is now not recognized in the app.  It has not synced since Sunday.  

Best Answer

The previous firmware messed up my ionic watch (the device seems to be working, it syncs with the phone app, but nothing appears on the screen).  Contacting support has been.... less than helpful.   I was about to just give up on the device and go purchase a new one (from a different brand), but then I saw this new thread about a new firmware update this morning and thought it might be worth a shot.  The update has not shown up yet for me when I use the app on my phone. Is there a way to manually get the update or force an update?

I can't really do anything on the ionic watch itself because the screen doesn't show anything, but is there anything I can do through the app?

Best Answer