Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit OS 4.1.3 Firmware Update (70.80.0)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello Ionic family!

We’re excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 4.1.3.

We started releasing this new update to customers. This is a progressive rollout which means everyone will receive it at different stages until it has been completely released to all users. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

*Firmware releases aren’t distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Read our help article for the latest updates.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Find step-by-step instructions for updating Ionic here

If you run into any trouble updating Ionic, review these troubleshooting tips.

We appreciate your patience while we work to roll this out to everyone. Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback in the comments below. 🤖

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
394 REPLIES 394
It shouldn’t be that an update bricks your device, yes your credit card may be able to bail you out but this is on Fitbit! Fitbit needs to step up and take care of their clients if they want to keep them as clients...

Steph

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

A ticket was opened on my behalf (May 26, 2020), after my Ionic bricked.  The support team reached out to me with the typical 25% offer.  I declined and asked for an escalation and they acknowledged.  I have not heard since.

Best Answer
Hi, I have had the same response and asked it be escalated as well. Still no news. I will be following this closely.

Steph

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Ionic started to buzz and alert me the next day. I looked at the screen to see that it was changing on its own and would buzz each time it would change. It wouldn't stay on the home screen. After performing the 3 button reset it worked again for a short time. However, the issue returned again after a short time. I did the reset 3 times and now my Ionic won't do anything. The screen is black. The Ionic is worthless after this update. I've been with Fitbit for over 5 years and have had about 6 different bands and watches. Solution to this issue???

Best Answer

This update "bricked" my Ionic. Looking at Apple now. I can't afford to keep replacing these devices. Quality has to improve. After over 5 years with Fitbit and multiple devices this is how it all ends. With their update wrecking my watch. Horrible customer service. Sad...

Best Answer

Ticket on the 26th of may, got an answer a week later to try some steps and also where I live and bought the ionic. Replied and still waiting on any news of Fitbit support. Two weeks without a working ionic. Thankfully I saved my damaged charge 2... 

Best Answer

If you haven’t attempted the update and want to risk installing, you might sync data and do a 3 button reset before installing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This update bricked my device as well 😞

Best Answer

I can't get my watch to get a update. I'm still on an update from like 5 versions ago. I can't access the app store or clock faces. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have access to 3 Ionic devices, two in my household, 1 from a friend.  Two of them are bricked after the firmware update and the other now cannot make it 24 hours without draining the battery.

1. One bricked from the 27.70.7.27 was purchased late 2018.  Out of warranty as determined by Fitbit support.  Only offered the 25% discount.

2. One that was bricked 2 weeks after 27.70.8.0 released.

3. The other was factory reset and ended up on 27.6.11.  Then successfully updated to 27.70.8.0 but immediately started draining battery and 3-4x faster than before.  I used to be able to charge it for 20-25 minutes each morning and only run low on battery if I skipped 4-5 days or used GPS on a 8-10 mile run.  Even then, wouldn't totally drain, just get the alert to charge it.  Seemingly normal for a device like this.  However, now I charge to 100% and even without being on my normal exercise routine I now get low battery alert in 20-24 hours, depending on number of notifications that day.  And BTW, I have followed the steps by Fitbit to reduce notifications, turn off auto-detection of exercise, use simple watch faces, brightness, duration of face staying active, etc.  In other words, shut off some of the features the markets as the value of the product.

It seems from the posts that there a multiple manifestations of the issues ensuing from firmware updates.

- Completely bricked.  Nothing on screen.  Some started as stop syncing.  Then unable to charge.  Then draining completely, factory resetting or other in order to get it chargeable again and maybe even keeps some stats.  But, totally unusable at this point.  I do not know of anyone posting yet that has recovered from this.

- Stuck in a reboot loop with the Fitbit logo on the screen.  Some seem to find the right sequence of factory resetting and setting up as a new device on the phone / app.  Apparently doesn't work for all.

- There may be others in the hundreds of posts in this particular message thread and many others that seem to describe significant loss of use or feature reduction / flakiness for the Ionic.

Fitbit product team:  This seems serious.  It's hard to understand what the engineering teams know and what they are working on to stabilize the Ionic.  Communications have been poor in content. Support had me run through resets and asked me to do things I could not since the screen is dead.  What can be said for the % of Ionic owners who still have a working or semi-working device but need it back to full functionality?  And is there recourse for those who have lost devices very clearly linked to performing the firmware upgrade?

There may be a technical legal standing to tell people they are out of warranty but there are many examples of companies managing a serious product defect linked back to manufacturing or software who make a choice to help people who paid money for their products through the issues.  It is very common to offer extended warranties or at least something more substantial that a small reduction in price on a new device that seems like a token "we tried to help, but not very hard" gesture.

Do right by the hundreds who have posted with issues. Please acknowledge what is happening so we as Ionic wearers can either be frustrated and move on for good or have a path for this to be remedied.

Signed,

Fitbit user / family since 2015

5 devices (fortunately only 2 Ionic) on both IOS and Android.

Best Answer

Well said.

After my second factory reset failed to resolve the fast battery drain I started the trouble ticket process. Ran a battery test sequence (as mentioned, with all features off) and ran it down in 19 hours. I was just inside of the 1 year mark and have a replacement on the way. Hoping the issue doesn't perpetuate. 

I feel for everyone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TAChapman Do you expect your "replacement" device to already be updated to the new buggy firmware, or have to do it yourself once you receive it? I'm curious how they're shipping them.

@RT_TX Well summarized issues list that 18 other pages worth of complaints have said, too. One would hope that Fitbit would actually address these concerns - or at least, put out a legitimate announcement besides, "We haven't seen any issues and encourage our customers to contact support if necessary..."

I'm still waiting to update mine...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Runner3344,

Perhaps they are waiting for complaints to naturally dissipate. Not going to happen.

My other concern is that these devices with a WR50 water resistant rating are being marketed to swimmers. They are barely shower proof. Rain proof at best.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am running this update and since I have installed it my ionic battery drains within a day. I have tried the suggestions for improving my battery performance but it’s not working at all. 

so @Fitbit what do you suggest since this problem started after installing the update?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm curious myself. After running the factory resets, I'm cautious because
the re-pairing actions seemed to force the firmware update, so even if it
arrives with a previous firmware version, it may not be sustainable.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was wondering if these new updates make my battery drain faster because I noticed it draining faster than it normally does and I listen to music through storage not deezer or pandora. Also my notifications doesnt show who's calling through WhatsApp, it just shows unknown caller. I was wondering where did the all day sync button go on the app because I always turned it off. And my fitbit pay doesnt work also. Will these things get fixed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TAChapman 
I am speaking from experience with the previous update that briked my old and perfectly running Ionic. They sent me a replacement (just the watch) sealed. Once I powered up it asked me to update, which I did and the update that briked my first Ionic went smooth on the replacement one.

I have it right now on my wrist and it is working as I want and like - nothing else, but, here comes Fitbit again with a new OS firmware update that I am afraid to do it and I live with the annoying notification inside the iOS app.

So, if you get a replacement that will for sure ask you to update to this new OS firmware release. If you're lucky it will go smooth, but I read in the past comments were users complaining about the replacement they got being bricked too.

That's why I think and I said that we are a small margin from the Fitbit user base that had or currently has a watch from an old hardware batch that does not support Fitbit OS new releases. Maybe, there are hardware requirements available in new batches.

Thanks,

Julian

Best Answer

@lucaiuli 

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago regarding hardware versions vs post software updating  functionality and "bricking" issues.

You'd expect the software development team would have extensively soak and sandbox tested new software on all revisions of hardware before releasing any update.

I'm sure there are stats on this. But we won't be privy to that sort of information. I can understand any companies reasoning on this for sure.

But the silence has been deafening.

Best Answer

I might have found out what put a strain on my battery life. The screen was coming on every few minutes or so even though I had it set up to do this by button press. So I thought turning my ionic off and on again would solve it, well now my heart rate monitor is not working. So I am now doing a factory reset in the hopes it solves the problems. But it’s going slowly because the tracker didn’t accept the wifi and I’m now doing it over Bluetooth. If this doesn’t work I’m going for a non Fitbit tracker

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner 

I had the same situation before.

Just replace the watch face with Fitbit's watch will solve the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes