Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit OS 4.2.2 - Ionic Firmware Release (72.1.15)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Ionic will be available soon!  Some of you may already have this update available - if you installed it, let us know what you think!

If you don’t see the update yet, that’s expected. Check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We expect everyone to receive the update in the coming weeks. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

Did you know that we gradually release our updates? We do this to make sure everything is working just right for you. Sometimes we find an issue and it might take a little longer than expected for everyone to get the update. While you might see suggestions on how to “force” an update, we ask that you don’t try any of these workarounds. Most of the time the update won’t be available and you can lose data or encounter other difficulties. The best way to get the update is to be patient and wait for the update banner to appear in the Fitbit app. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

You can find release notes here.  New Ionic version is 27.72.1.15. 

HOW DO I UPDATE?

You can find step-by-step instructions for updating your Ionic here.

If you run into difficulty please review these troubleshooting tips

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
187 REPLIES 187

2-3% is hardly acceptable !

Best Answer

I'd be shocked if 2-3% is true.  I would say it's probably a lot higher.  There are just a couple of people in the thread who say their update was fine with no issues, with the app and watch, compared to lots who have ruined devices. There are loads of new posts that describe failure after the update but they oddly dont get merged onto here.

I get that a lot of people only find their way here when they have an issue but even then it should be ringing alarm bells somewhere higher up.

The older Versa models update thread is the same as this Ionic thread regarding failures and successfully installed firmware and still the alarm bells dont ring.

@-Angeliclee I've got an inbox stuffed with copy and paste warnings and deleted posts too. One day I'll copy and paste them onto a new post just for fun.

Best Answer

I think 2 - 3% is an underestimate on their part.. 

Best Answer

A very gross underestimate.

Best Answer

Screenshots of latest support chat....

Screenshot_20210815-102948_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210815-102955_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210815-103001_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210815-103009_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210815-103017_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210815-103024_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210815-103033_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210815-103040_Chrome.jpg

Best Answer

我的fitbit ionic 更新完27.72.1.15固件后,GPS变得没有信号,手机端的Fitbit软件显示还要更新智能设备软件,但次更新都是失败,

Best Answer

My ionic quit working (bricked) after one of the last updates so I switched to my friends. She ended up getting an Apple Watch and quit using hers. 
Now this one is dependent on working the way it’s designed, based on the band I am wearing. Sometimes some things work, but not all things work. I KNOW if I do this update, this one will become useless too. So, no update for me until the update is fixed. My guess is that they won’t fix the update because they want you to buy a new one but The real result is they are losing Fitbit customers. Your watch/Device shouldn’t quit because of an update or the band that you have. 
You should be better than this FITBIT!!

Best Answer

I think the new update killed my out of warranty Ionic and Fitbit won’t take responsibility for their update.  35% discount doesn’t cover a ionic that worked perfectly fine before this update that your so excited about. 

Best Answer

The update killed my Ionic.  Fitbit just offered an apology and a 35% discount for killing it, because it was not in warranty. 

Best Answer
I know. So frustrating. Seems like they would have worked out the bugs
before releasing it or would give some hope that it could be fixed in the
near future.
Best Answer

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and comments about your experience with the latest firmware update. Be sure that we're always striving to improve our services offered. Your comments are reviewed and taken into consideration. 

I see where you're coming from. If your Ionic stopped working after installing the latest update, the best way to get help for this problem is to chat with us online or give us a call. Click here to get connected. If you already have a case with them, continue the communication through email, they'll be happy to help. 

Note that the options offered by our Support team are based on the Fitbit Warranty

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
No this does not help. I spent over an hour on online chat and 30 minutes
on the phone. My ionic ended up in worse shape. At least it counted steps.
Now it won't charge or go past the Fitbit logo on setup. While I do
appreciate the discount on a new unit, I'm disappointed it came to that. I
really liked my ionic and had ordered many bands for it. Now all of it will
sit in a landfill.
Best Answer

I updated the firmware and now the heart rate monitor no longer works.

Yes, I have performed a restart and a reset, turned the heart rate monitoring feature on and off, with zero visible effect.

I have 3 Fit Bit Ionics, none of which work as they should.

Ionic1 has an almost dead battery. It won't power up, all I see is a bit of a grey hue when I attempt to power on the watch.  (Ater recharging overnight)

Ionic2 functions, however, to see statistics, I must synch the results to my Huawei P20 Pro phone.  I used to be able to read the values on the phone, but over the last month or so all I see is a white and orange halo at the screen perimeter. 

Ionic3 charges and has a wonderful and readable display, but the heart rate is not displayed or monitored.

I also have a FitBit  Aria2 scale which works flawlessly.

That FitBit has no service repair centers is a mystery to me.  It feels as though they have engineered obsolescence into their products so that they fail within months AFTER the warranty expires.

I need to monitor my heart rate as I underwent open-heart surgery...

Also,  WiFi is a joke, it fails 99% of the time. The last firmware upgrade I did was over Bluetooth and it took close to 10 hours... Really? Yes, really.

At least it worked.

The options which remain:

1. Buy something else

2. Buy the Tools and buy the replacement parts or cannibalize the display from Ionic3 and replace the Ionic2 display and fix it myself and hope that it works.

I am not so gung-ho on doing that.  Sourcing parts may be difficult here in Germany...

3. Buy a new Ionic... I don't think so...

A one-year warranty is too short. If a company is confident that they produce reliable products, it should show it by offering a longer warranty period.

Best Regards,

Claude Desroches

PS: It would be an improvement If it were not required to always re-enter the wifi password each time one tries to connect to the same router. In 2021, users expect products to be easy to use. Entering a 20-digit router code over and over is not what one would call 'user-friendly.

Best Answer

Yes, I have a similar experience, post firmware update on my Ionic. Note this is nothing new with Fitbit they want customers to abandon the old device and buy new. This pattern they repeat with the old devices as they release new ones. I have the same experience in past with Fitbit blaze and I have abandoned blaze and bought Ionic anticipating I can continue with the same health monitoring app.

Now I have decided to go another brand.

Here is my experience history. 😡

2017 - Fitbit Blaze
2019 Blaze firmware update stoped working -> out of warranty
2019 -> Bought fitbit Ionic
2021 - Ionic firmware update stoped working -> out of warranty
Need to buy a new one.

Moderator Edit: Word choice

Best Answer

Don’t click on the update!

started the update when the banner showed and it bricked my watch. Had been working just fine before that, tech support was zero help, and  passed my case to the warranty team.

🤬🤬🤬

Best Answer

Hi everyone and for the ones that are to the Fitbit Community, welcome. 

Thank you for sharing your experience with this new firmware update. Be sure that your comments are reviewed and we're always striving to improve our services offered. 

Take into consideration that our Support team provides troubleshooting that can help you fixing the issue you're experiencing. After this, they will review your options based on the Fitbit Warranty, if you have any questions about the option you were given, reply back to them, they'll continue assisting you. 

See you around. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

FYI,

I found a previously bricked Iconic and was able to upload this update successfully. My unwarranted, older Iconic is working at an acceptable level. The newer Iconic has not worked since I attempted to upload this update a month ago. That's the reality. That Fitbit cares nothing about our commitment to them is also the reality. Not sure what will I do when the older Iconic fails. Will I buy a Versa? Maybe. But I will give strong consideration to other manufacturers. I need a reliable smartwatch to deliver the quantitative information I need to be better. The commitment I make to myself deserves a device I can trust. Good luck to all.

Best Answer

Hello Silvia, Thank you for the answer. I had support from the desk. After factory reset and an update my watch funtioned again. But after a few days, the sensor did not work any more. I am discouraged to do any trying to get to work now.

I wait for an software update to fix it. It is not the supportdesk who has to solve it. It has to be the software egineer who has to check the update and to fix the bugs in it.

Best Answer

Same here.

Been a Fitbit user for 5 years.

2016-Alta

2018-started acting up after the update.

2018-got Alta Hr as a gift.

2021-no updates, but would not work- I seldom use it as I bought an Ionic in Nov 2018, mostly used it for sleep tracking.

Nov 2018- Ionic bought it Black Friday Sale. My wife bought an Apple Watch Series 3 for the same price. Her watch still works up to this day.

Jan 2021-Ionic started acting up, saw a firmware update, and tried to install it then it bricked my Ionic.

I have relatives and friends who also used Fitbit before so I could attest I am not the only one that has issues with their tracker around the 2-year mark.

Tried to boot up the Ionic today just to check before throwing it away, the logo showed up for a bit, then the display went blank but all the sensors were lit up. I wore the watch then opened the Fitbit app and was able to see my real-time heart rate being displayed and was syncing with my Ionic. A few minutes later Fitbit can no longer see my Ionic. It was also @97% battery too. 

It seems their devices shut down after 2 years. I bought a Huawei Band 6 since then (now I use it for sleep tracking) as I just got the Apple Watch Series 6 as a gift. I have learned to like it except, for the battery life and the sleep tracking I will probably stick with the Apple Watch as they last longer. It might be expensive upon purchasing it, but Fitbit is worse as the 35% discount is not acceptable after your device gets bricked outside the warranty date. If you are on IOS and plan to switch to a non-Fitbit fitness tracker I recommend the Power sync app, I managed to sync my data from 2018 to 2021 to Apple Health. Letting go of Fitbit was hard at first, it was only when I managed to sync my data I moved on.

Best Answer

My Ionic is also dead after the update. Doesn’t measure heart rate no step count. It’s just a watch now. Tried everything restarting it, resync, resetting it. It just says calibration needed and then mentions sensors are covered. It was working fine a couple of days back and then just stopped.

Best Answer