Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Pay is not always working on Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there, I have a ionic - about 2 months old and sometime payment works other times it doesn’t. There doesn’t seem to be any continuity. Anyone else have this issue? 

I have tried paying on old and new terminals and it just seem temperamental! 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
63 REPLIES 63

What is happening when it doesn't work?

Is it a case of the terminal not reading the card on the Ionic?

Or does the transaction get denied?

Please we really need to have details to know what your asking about?

Best Answer

It is denied on terminal or watch

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gregga I would set it up again.

If you still get a debited then give the bank a call.

I've noticed that on some terminals the cashier needs to tell the tenant that a tap to pay is being used, but they should understand that.

Best Answer

No it doesn’t debit. It just doesn’t work sometimes but does other times. More like a bug

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you try setting fotbit pay to again?

When you contacted your bank, what did they say?

Best Answer

I didn’t contact my bank as not an issue with the bank. It’s seems to be a bug in the Fitbit cause sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Money is never taken from my account. Just that the watch to pay seem very intermittent. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gregga I'm actually little confused?

You say that you can not connect to the bank?

Is this during setting up Fitbit Pay?

You state that money is never taken from the account? Are you saying that you are able to purchase items using the Ionic but the bank never deducts the money from your ur bank account.

You say that it works sometimes, so I'm assuming that Fitbit pay has been setup?

When it doesn't work, do you or the cashier receive any messages? Or is it a case of the NFC on the terminal not being able to read the NFC on the watch?

Best Answer

As stated in my original comment. My Fitbit is 2m old. I set-up Fitbit pay and that was fine. But.... when I use my Fitbit to pay - it only work 50% of the time. When it doesn’t work the Fitbit gets an error message and the payment terminal gets a denied message. 

So I am trying to figure out if my Fitbit is faulty or is there still issue with the technology. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GreggaWhen you are  tapping on some Pay terminals you need to get the receipt for the Denied payments.. I see the issue as a Merchant/Retailer problem. On the failures I get the Ionic green tick, and the Notification on the Ionic and still a failure.  But next day I use the same terminal and it works.  I'm finding the checkout operators are getting more skilled at the process and ask you to hold the watch there for a longer period...

On Monday I have had 3 Denieds, they were

• Couldn't contact the bank, I put this one down to Christmas overload...
  • an odd message code
  • and a different odd message code

I contacted my bank and on the odd code errors they say it was a faulty transmission, unfortunately you always get the Access Denied message.

I have found that some of my merchants haven't updated their Tap equipment, and those that are using the new tablets as a tap device I have 100% success.

My regular retailers who have since upgraded their terminals or swapped their provider, I have no issues.

Parallel to all of this, our Government is rolling out a communications Fiber Optic to replace the copper broadband and and in some areas it's flaky amd unpredictable..  This just adds to the issue with Fitbit Pay.

@Gregga wrote:

As stated in my original comment. My Fitbit is 2m old. I set-up Fitbit pay and that was fine. But.... when I use my Fitbit to pay - it only work 50% of the time. When it doesn’t work the Fitbit gets an error message and the payment terminal gets a denied message. 

So I am trying to figure out if my Fitbit is faulty or is there still issue with the technology. 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Gregga @Rich_Laue @Colinm39, it's great to see you in the Fitbit Community.

@Gregga I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced with Fitbit Pay. I would like just to clarify that n order to have Fitbit Pay working, your phone must use a passcode. Please confirm that you have set up a passcode on your phone with the wallet tile in the device settings page. If the issue persists please try performing a factory reset on your watch to correct any issue on it. 

Please note that you will need to reinstall any apps on your Ionic after the reset, and if you couldn’t sync your device before performing the factory reset, any data on the Fitbit device will be lost:

To do so, please open the Settings app in Ionic > About > Factory Reset.

@Rich_Laue @Colinm39 Thanks for your comments.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer

Yes, I have a passcode. As I said it does work sometimes and not others. Hence, why I was wondering if it was a bug and if others had it. I am starting to think my watch is faulty. My weather app also doesn’t update since the last software update. It keeps coming up with he error to ‘sync’ my watch. Which I do and it doesn’t update. But if I turn my

WAtch on and off it works until the next time I look at it and it doesn’t work again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When pay doesn't work, what to of error does the terminal give.

As for the weather, this on most phones use the same channel as notifications.

Best Answer

It just says declined. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GreggaI always adopt a strong approach to the merchants because it's my money. Today I had another decline.. Asked for the paper receipt, and it said "Could not reach bank".. So I tapped again and it worked.

Most of my smaller retailers use dial up terminals and I expect some failures... Otherwise my Fitbit Ionic works perfectly on Tap and Pay....

@Gregga wrote:

It just says declined. 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gregga you say that you get a message on the ionic and a declined message on the terminal.

The bank should have a record one this declined transactions, have you contacted your bank yet?

The error message I'm asking about is the message on your ionic.

Best Answer

Hi, I am having a similar issue using FitBit Pay on Ionic. 

I can only ever ever get it to work after a reset, and sometimes another time afterwards if it’s not long after. 

After that I get a variety of errors depending on the terminal type. Either declined, sometimes an error 24 or 34, sometimes just says not allowed. 

It works every time at all the terminals directly after a reset and entering my pin. 

My theory is that it is some sort of authentication issue and the card wants a pin before authorisation but no way to force FitBit Pay to ask for it every time unless it's after a reset.

Cheers,

G. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LowVibe75 I'm not sure which pin your referring to, the pin to unlock Fitbit pay our the pin that your credit card company may require.

On the Ionic if it requires a pin you will not be able to bring up Fitbit pay.

Have you contacted both Fitbit and your bank with times when you received an error?

Best Answer

The PIN to unlock the FitBit for FitBit pay, which I need to do after resetting the watch. I don’t require a PIN to use contactless payment. It’s not an issue with the bank, it’s an issue with the FitBit.

Like I mentioned, it works fine every time I reset the watch. I have contacted FitBit support, the answer they gave was to reset the watch, which I guess technically is a solution but really diminishes the convenience of using it as I have to reset it in advance and wait for the reboot every time I want to use it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agreed this is a Fitbit Pay issue, not a bank or terminal  issue.  Every time it declines, which is often, I use my phone instead with the same credit card and it works.  This feature isnt of any use if not reliable, since I still have to carry a backup form of payment.

Sense, One, Flex, Charge 2, Blaze, Ionic, Aria
Best Answer
0 Votes