Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting "Device Not Found" on the app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So, the long and short of the issue is that my Fitbit Ionic spent a fair bit of time dead (Band broke and a replacement one to ship took almost a month, fantastic job). Once I got the battery powered back up and everything set, I noticed one major problem - "Device not found." This error is constant. Here's what has been tried (To expedite through the fact that the same answer constantly comes up in response to this issue and it's not worked yet):

- I have reset the phone, the app, and the device

- I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app

- I have shut down the watch after changing all settings via a YouTube tutorial demonstrating how to work around this issue with Android phones (I use an LG G6)

- I unpaired the device and attempted to set it up through the app again (Bonus points, it cannot find the device effectively meaning that it's irredeemable through the app on Android)

- In sum, I've tried everything that's constantly reposted on this forum as a "fix."

Now, I HAVE been able to get the device back in pairing through having it connected and running it through the FitBit app on my desktop (Windows 10). HOWEVER, having done all that, whenever I try to sync it with the app, you guessed it, "Device not found."

I have the watch laying on top of the phone while trying to sync and it cannot find it. Either the phone's blind or FitBit has become my worst tech purchase since the Soulja Boy console. Does anyone have a solution for this Ionic issue or should it just get clubbed with a hammer and wash my hands of the whole mess?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

A warm welcome to the Community @BD_34! I appreciate the troubleshooting that you've tried as well for the details that you've mentioned. 

I also appreciate that you've mentioned the phone that you're using and it's listed as a supported device. In this case, I would like you to double check that you have the following requirements in order to properly sync your Ionic: 

If you have the requirements above mentioned and you're still having issues, please try these tips: 

• Turn on the Always Connected option in the Fitbit app. This setting improves the Bluetooth connection between your phone and Fitbit device. Note that turning on this feature may cause the battery on your Fitbit device to drain more quickly than normal.
  • Turn on All-Day Sync in the Fitbit app. This setting prompts your Fitbit device to periodically sync with the Fitbit app but may shorten battery life on your phone or Fitbit device.

Let me know the outcome. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I managed to fix the problem - the solution for this issue is to just go nuclear, factory reset and start over. Everything is syncing back up now. 

Best Answer

Did you factory reset your phone or the app? I'm only familiar with the former. I am having the same issue! 😖

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem my Ionic will not sync It stopped syncing at 9:11pm last night & it will NOT sync. I have the updated app it was working just fine for a week after the app updated.... This is getting ridiculous & why are so many of us having the same EXACT issue. & I bet it's happening to more ppl there just not getting on here & addressing the issue... I have gotten every fit bit when a new one comes out I upgrade... So why is this happening NOW?? IM thinking it's the new App update or something on fit bits end!!!!

Best Answer

I'm using the Google pixel 2 is my phone

Best Answer

Same. After battery went to 0 for the last 4 days I'm going through the nightmare and spent hours  trying to fix tjis problem. I"ve tried every possible option I could find  on internet (including those in your post, on my phone and laptop) and somehow I managed to sync it twice but it worked for a few hours only and "no device found" appears again. I noticed that many other fitbit users have the same problem so why Fitbit can not come out with the workable solution?

Best Answer

I can confirm this behavior as well. I did a reset(soft) twice and it always works for some time and then starts failing again. With the amount of problems I've had with the Ionic ever since buying it I am no longer surprised. It's unacceptable for Fitbit to deliver a device that is advertised as a smartwatch but 50% of the time is having trouble connecting. What is funny is that this problem started showing when I updated the application to the new version (the one introducing the new UI), which coincidentally also artificially replaced some of the metrics displayed (like sleep related metrics) just so Fitbit can ask for a subscription. Factory resetting your device is also not an acceptable solution in my opinion.

Best Answer

Hello to everybody!

I have a kind request to all who have trouble with syncing after a battery depletion:

Try and take a note: when it is working, what is the battery level of the fitbit device. Then, when it stops working, note the battery level again.

Try and see will it sync while on the charger and when - when with full battery or with partially charged battery.

Also everything you notice related to the battery itself. For example, how long the battery lasts after the depletion.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation!

Best Answer
0 Votes

having exactly same issue "device not found" on computer and phone. have tried all so called fixes but still nothing.

Best Answer

@Optron Failed again last night. Ionic battery was 87% this morning. Phone battery was around 17% this morning. I have not noticed a correlation between battery and this issue so far. What is the reason for this tracking?

What I have noticed though it rather has to do with disconnecting from bluetooth. I mean if I get out of range of my phone it will stop syncing once i am in range again. I've noticed this with several previous phone models I've had as well but never with my current phone until the app update. This might falsely identify it as a battery/restart issue when it's actually a bluetooth reconnect issue. Could someone confirm this please?

Does anyone know any way to debug this on a technical level (any way to access device or application logs to see what is the real reason behind it?)

Best Answer

@elysium08 try resetting both your fitbit and your phone. Doing this seems to temporarily solve the issue for me. Nevertheless as previously stated i find this solution unacceptable.

Best Answer

My Ionic is Device Not Found all the time now. I think there must be an IOS / fitbit update problem, if not please send me a new one as it only 6 weeks old

Best Answer

As @BD_34 said go nuclear:

So far this seems to have worked for me:

Soft reset the ionic and the phone.

Sync (this is so that you don't loose any data, this should work after the soft reset)

Unpair Ionic from app

Remove the Ionic from Bluetooth known devices

Factory Reset the Ionic

Reset Phone

Repair the Ionic with the app.

It's been 2 days and no more device not found issue.

I still think this is a sorry excuse for a product. Instead of just working you have to fiddle with it every time there is an update.

Best Answer

Same issue here (device not found) with the Ionic and my Pixel 3 (Android 10). What has worked for me is 1) soft reset on the Ionic and 2) disable/re-enable Bluetooth on my phone and 3) re-attempt sync. 

Best Answer

Android 10, Google Pixle 4 - This problem just started a week or so ago.  Not too long after updating to Android 10.

Fitbit app can not find my Fitbit. I have uninstalled and re-installed app, re synced Blue Tooth with the app, etc.

Definitely and issue with the Fitbit app and Android 10.

Let us know when you all figure it out.

Thanks

Best Answer

Fitbit flex, pixel 3 fully updated. I get device not found after 1/2 second. Tried everything short of a reset. If that is required I will just buy a new device from someone else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same, Android 10 but on Pixel 3, noticed the issue around the time I completed the Android 10 update. The steps I posted above seem to work for me, but it's a bit cumbersome to have to do this every free days. Did those steps for the issue for you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Toggling bluetooth has no effect. Rebooting phone seems to work- what a pain.

Best Answer

Easiest way to get it working without performing a factory reset / wipe or any of that other stuff.

First uninstall the app.

Install "x-plore" from google app store

Open x-plore and browse "internal shared your storage" (might be called something else mileage may vary)

Find your SD-Card...there is a folder called "Android" (if your phone doesn't have an sdcard look for a folder called sdcard) example: /sdcard/android/data , /sdcard/data , /external_SD/Android/data , etc

Open up that folder and you should see a folder called data, media, and obb. Delete the contents of those folders. If you can't get delete the contents of obb, don't worry about.

Keep in mind that you might have a slightly different folder arrangement, your mileage may vary.

(Optional, but your phone will love you for it) After everything is done, find out how to delete your Davlik/Art Cache for your make/model of phone.

Reboot your phone, install fitbit app and sync. Your phone should boot faster now too. Initially your apps will be slower on their first run after this process(outing fresh data back in the Android folder), then back to normal. Basically you deleted all their cache and what not. You may have to re-enter a password here and there, but faster than a factory reset/wipe and you don't lose your data on the like pics and the like.

Hope this helps. If it seem too much, do what feels comfortable. If a factory reset/wipe seems easier then go that route.

Best Answer
0 Votes