Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard time charging

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why am I having such a hard time charging my ionic? Shouldn't it just plug in and charge? Is anyone else having this issue? 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
79 REPLIES 79

Hello everyone.

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the situation and your experience.

I'd like to ask if the situation has continued or if you have experienced any other issues with your Fitbit? 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still have problems with my watch .

Moderator edit: Removed personal info

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nothing has changed. It’s very difficult to charge. It’s very sensitive and has to be positioned just so in order to keep charging.  It’s very disappointing with the amount of money that is spent on this watch. This is my second Fitbit and I’ve had different issues with both. All in all I don’t feel for it is made well at all. 

Best Answer

OK so I finally found the time to ring tech support.

Actually quite helpful.

my Ionic had run out of battery at the end of a run 2 weeks ago and will not charge at all.

Cleaned the contacts with meths and a toothbrush to no avail.

Tech support tried a soft reset and a factory reset but of course no power .

Finally they are sending me a new Ionic replacement...Hooray..but the charging issue may not be resolved. At least I have a watch!!!!!

Best Answer

Hello @Scuba2011@JenRadTek and @Gunsout.

@Gunsout Thanks for letting us know that you are being sent a new Ionic. Hopefully everything will work correctly.

@JenRadTek Our team should be getting in touch with you. They will be happy to help you in getting everything to work correctly. Please keep an eye on your email's inbox or the trash and spam folders in case the email is filtered over there.

@Scuba2011 What issues are you experiencing? With charging your Ionic? Is there anything else?

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue. Have had the ionic for about 3 weeks. It will not charge now. At first, it would charge, and the percentage of charge would pop up on the screen. Now, it does not charge at all. Very frustrating

Best Answer
0 Votes

In addition, I bought 2 ionics, 1 alta hr, 2 charge 3s, 1 charge 2, and the fancy scale, so that all the family members would be covered. The only one I'm having trouble with, is my ionic. My wife's ionic charges fine. With same cord, mine does not charge. I have scraped the port channel, on my watch, with a toothpick, but did not help. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven’t been able to use mine in a month bc the charger won’t stay in. It’s so infuriating bc of how much I spent on the **ahem** thing 

Best Answer
I used a pin. The piece of grit I had was just big enough that when I put the charging head into the charging port it pushed it even further which kept the charging head from hitting the contacts.

I just now took my ionic watch off to look at that charging port and it was filled with I guess dead skin cells. I don’t wear it in the shower, but wear it while playing tennis. It took quite a bit of poking with a toothpick from my Swiss Army knife to clean all the crud out.

The design all though innovative I think in design is probably functionally ineffective and I would guess a source for problems.

In general I’m less than pleased with the devices gps. I have a bar in watch with the same functionality. I’ll put on and walk the mile to the tennis courts in the community. The Garmin immediately connects to gps. The ionic takes 100 yards to a half mile to connect.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
I used a pin to clean out a bit of tennis clay that was in the groove. It took a lot of prying to get it free. When I went to charge it I pushed this bit of grit further into the charging port.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Update:

Just to try, I pulled out the other charging cord, and my ionic is charging. What the heck. The first cord charged wife's ionic without issue, doesn't do anything on mine... so I assume, problem with my watch. Then, try other cord (I bought 2), and it's working... so that tells me cord. At the very least, it appears that the charging connection port is too sensitive on these devices.

Best Answer
0 Votes
C/b the cable although new is damaged.

I looked at my cable end and it had some “crud” in the recessed area. I then pressed on those three charging nubs one at a time with a Swiss army tooth pick. They should move in and out.

At least you had the luxury of another cable to do some self diagnosis. I guess the next test is to see if your cable charges your other ionic..

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on my 2nd Ionic in a little over a year and very disappointed, now it takes me up to 15 minutes to get it to start charging and sometimes it doesnt charge. I wish it would not charge anymore so I can wash my hands of Fitbit. 3 watches 3 years I dont like buying throw away fitness devices.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine is sitting on the sink in the bathroom. I reset and reloaded it about a month ago. I tried it for a few walks/bike rides. Sometimes it connects to gps immediately and other times it takes 10 to 20 minutes. Mind you I start the bike or walk function and lay it on my mail box face up in hopes that the line of site will allow it to connect. The other thing about this device is that if it does connect to gps the resulting tracking zigs and zags so much so that it looks like I’m drunk. I wear my garmin vivoactive hr on the other wrist and it connects immediately and the gps tracking on a 15 mile ride records 15 miles. The ionic with the zig zag will track 17 miles for the same ride.

I’ll never buy another garmin device.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My husband and I both have the ionic. It is quiet possibly the worst product we have ever purchase. So many problems. Now neither ionic will charge unless you spend ten minutes playing with the cord. Getting ready to change to apple product

Best Answer
I found that the receiver that the charger gets plugged into gets gunk, dna and for me a sand particle. You might try using a pin to clean out that area.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

Same issue here. Just tried to recharge and 8 hours later still on 0%

What a **ahem**. How did it ever get to the shelves. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve given up. They sent me another one and only couple of months later same issue.....no loner under warranty so they wanted me to buy another one. I’m done with Fitbit. They make a product that doesn’t last. I went to Garmin.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Simple check. Fitbit stock down 25% from what it was 1 year ago. Garmin up 30% from a year ago. Fit is 4.50 Vs garm 81+

The junk Fitbit floods market with gets people into the market but with quality issues and longevity drive  them away. They must  be a feeder for Garmin. 

Everyone I know gas left Fitbit.....actually 1 is staunch Fitbit. Out of 15 he has just a low end band that hasn't broken. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Fxdci  you mean you won't buy another Fitbit? 

Best Answer
0 Votes